Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 10, 2012   #1
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

Default Golden Egg Squash

This is the first year that I've grown this variety of squash. I like all kinds of squash. One of my favorites. I've included a couple of pictures of two of my plants. I have eight in a raised beds, but wished I had more planted. Last week at the market they sold out in less that 30 minutes. I believe that their appearance sells them. They're an eye-catcher, as well as a great tasting squash. I had only a few for sale the week before, and those who bought them came back for more this week. Curious if anyone else has tried these?
DP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 094.jpg (445.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 095.jpg (433.9 KB, 52 views)
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #2
jerryinfla
Tomatovillian™

DP - Nope -- never tried them but I'm going to based on your recommendation. They look delicious !
Old July 10, 2012   #3
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I've admired them, but now I know I'll buy some and grow when I can. Gorgeous !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What would you compare this squash to?

Looks nice.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #5
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Are they a cousin of the lemon cucumber?
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
Are they a cousin of the lemon cucumber?
Why yes they are, all of natures cucurbits are kin.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #7
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Your pics intrigued me as the shape is exactly what I've been looking for.

I looked it up but only found Burpee as a seed source. Is there any other source for this variety that anyone knows about ???

I would need more than just the "packs" that Burpee only sells in these days.

Thanks,
Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #8
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

Worth,
Thanks for answering the question about being cousins to the lemon cucumber. As far as the taste of the golden egg squash, they remind me of delicata, sort of. The only way we've eaten them so far is on the grill or sautéed with butter. They are nice and creamy with a sweet nutty flavor. This week sometime we're going to bake a couple in the oven and try them that way.

Wi-sunflower,
I've only found a couple of sites that actually sell the seeds but they are only an outlet for Burpee. This is the first year for these seeds to be on the market for Burpee. As you know, the seed companies control how they distribute new products and control the market with patents. I was just at their site and now they're limiting one packet of seeds per customer. It wasn't like that earlier this spring. I probably should have gotten more seeds. Buying seeds in bulk is not an option that they are doing at this point in time. What few seeds I have, I'm germinating now to plant in a couple of weeks. I do my own little CSA for about 10 families plus co-workers of my wife. They all want the little round yellow squash now that a couple people have tried them. I only have eight plants in ground and not enough to go around. They are supposed to have an eight week harvest period. My second planting should be producing about the time these getting pulled. Hopefully. If I find an outlet for more of these seeds I'll surely let you know. Figures, when you find something that you want to try, they have restrictions on them. Kind of stinks.
DP
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2012   #9
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Those and the description sound really yummy. I love the shape. Small is in my world just right...

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2012   #10
dinca
Tomatovillian™

Golden Egg from Burpee is a fairly well-behaved squash plant that produces firm, nutty tasting fruit which we enjoy grilled. We cut it in half vertically, then slice each half into 1/4 inch slabs. Don't cook too long or it will lose its texture. The single plant I have throws a fruit that is 5 inches long x 2.5 inches wide every two to three days. I'd like to have planted two ... and two fewer zucchini.
dinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2012   #11
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Actually the shape is just what my Arabic customers want for stuffing.

What really stinks is having a variety you've grown for 30 years be discontinued because the company that produced them was bought out (Asgrow - Seminis) Most of the varieties they suggest as replacements are the right color (pale grey-green) but straight zucchini shape. Not at all suitable to my customers. Then they suggested 3 other varieties that supposedly have the proper shape. But when I asked for seeds, I got "oh we don't sell those in the USA". UUUGGGHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!

When I first looked up "golden egg squash" the first link I found said it was developed by Dr Shifriss in 1973 http://www.smartgardener.com/plants/...guide/overview
Now either that site has it all wrong or maybe there was another squash with that name way back when. They definitely have the wrong pic on that page.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2012   #12
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
Worth,
Thanks for answering the question about being cousins to the lemon cucumber. As far as the taste of the golden egg squash, they remind me of delicata, sort of. The only way we've eaten them so far is on the grill or sautéed with butter. They are nice and creamy with a sweet nutty flavor. This week sometime we're going to bake a couple in the oven and try them that way.

Wi-sunflower,
I've only found a couple of sites that actually sell the seeds but they are only an outlet for Burpee. This is the first year for these seeds to be on the market for Burpee. As you know, the seed companies control how they distribute new products and control the market with patents. I was just at their site and now they're limiting one packet of seeds per customer. It wasn't like that earlier this spring. I probably should have gotten more seeds. Buying seeds in bulk is not an option that they are doing at this point in time. What few seeds I have, I'm germinating now to plant in a couple of weeks. I do my own little CSA for about 10 families plus co-workers of my wife. They all want the little round yellow squash now that a couple people have tried them. I only have eight plants in ground and not enough to go around. They are supposed to have an eight week harvest period. My second planting should be producing about the time these getting pulled. Hopefully. If I find an outlet for more of these seeds I'll surely let you know. Figures, when you find something that you want to try, they have restrictions on them. Kind of stinks.
DP
Sorry, why does it stink? The only reason these exist at all is the research and time that Burpee put into developing them. That is why you are enjoying them.

Why shouldn't they make a return on the investment? Sounds like wholesome capitalism to me that benefits everyone.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2012   #13
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Sorry, why does it stink? The only reason these exist at all is the research and time that Burpee put into developing them. That is why you are enjoying them.

Why shouldn't they make a return on the investment? Sounds like wholesome capitalism to me that benefits everyone.
It stinks because he wants to purchase more of their product, but they've produced an insufficient quantity to meet the demand.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2012   #14
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

OK, got it. That DOES stink.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2012   #15
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Dpurdy, I wish you were a little closer to me, I'd try some, but an hour is kinda far to drive for a few squash. Also all squash is related to cucumbers,watermelons, melons and other species. This site gives a god list. http://www.cucurbit.org/family.html.

I took Dpurdy comment as a Murphy's Law comment. As soon as you find something you like, they stop making it. I have that problem with sneakers all the time.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote