Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 28, 2012   #1
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Default FloraTomato Fertilizer from GH

People are always asking what fertilizers they should use on their mater plants. FloraTomato is one of the better inorganic, instantly available to the plants once applied, with the optimum micro/macro's for tomato plants.
For a soil drench or use with open containers it's hard to beat.

With a NPK of 10-6-18 it has the 2-1-3 ratio that is optimum for tomato plants and has all the macro/micro's needed and the nitogen is derived from Calcium Nitrate which also supplies the required calcium to help prevent BER. This is one of the few inorganics I use in my normal organic fert scheme when I feel the plants may not be getting all the nutes they require.

It's a dry, soluable fert that readilly dissolves in water so is easy to use. I just placed an order from the below link yesterday and that is what prompted me to make this post as newbees are always asking the question. You can get it from other sources but the guy that owns this site is a member of TVille and I have always got excellent service from and most of the products he carries are geared for tomato/extreme pumpkin growers. Ami

http://www.extremepumpkinstore.com/e...floramato.html
Old June 28, 2012   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Ami: I have used it before and have a friend using it now. Its cheap and is a complete fert. I have a gallon jug of floranova grow that I am going through now, which also is complete. Will probably go back to floratomato when I finish my floravona grow.
Old June 28, 2012   #3
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

Ordered!
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2012   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Michael, roger on the FloraNova as that would be my second choice as it is in liquid form also inorganic with a 7-4-10 NPK and a 2-1-3 ratio also but more expensive than FloraMato. Ami
Old June 28, 2012   #5
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

I was going to go out look for some fert today in preparation of this coming growing season, then saw your post, went to the sight, they are out of the product. bummer.

thanks for posting about it.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2012   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

They have it in stock for an excellent price:
http://www.calihydrosupply.com/Flora...y_p/GH1231.htm
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2012   #7
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

I did some searching this morning and my cheapest price was at Amazon for the product+shipping. At the site ginger lists shipping is over $14 to Ohio.
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2012   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I just saw that too
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2012   #9
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Here is a close-up of the label:

I used it last year on my Pepper plants with good results. Still have half a bucket and don't know why I didn't use it on some of the tomato plants this year. Well, for my Fall plantings, I'll use it on a few.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2012   #10
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Y'all,
FYI - I was poking around on Floramato after reading this thread as it appears to be out of stock most places. I called Gen Hydro and it was discontinued, apparently awhile ago.
Reason - They weren't selling enough to make any money.
They would consider doing a "custom" order if they had enough interest, and apparently they still do have some stock.
Also, they told me that there you can mix Maxigrow and Maxibloom to get the same or close to ratio and to send an email and they would check on the ratio.
Email sent - jesse@genhydro.com
I will let you know if they get back to me.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2012   #11
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Gang,
Here is my email exchange with Jesse - It would appear that sometimes all you need to do is ask!

Hello James,
Well, you will be pleased to know that I discussed the matter with our CFO and the owner of GH and with little convincing got them to agree to put the product back into production. It may take a while before it is back on store shelves, but I can send you some as soon as it is made. I'm guessing a few weeks. Give me your address and a Visa or Mastercard # and I will send it to you when it is ready.
Thanks,
Jesse Pennington General Hydroponics Phone: 707-824-9376 Fax: 707-824-9377
On 7/2/2012 9:47 AM, James Lark wrote:
Jesse,
Thank you for speaking with me with respect to the discontinuance of Floramato.
Per our conversation, is there is a mixable ratio of Maxigrow and Maxibloom to approximate Floramato?

Thanks.

Going to post on www.tomatoville.com that you would consider custom orders if there is enough demand.

thanks again!

James
--
Old July 2, 2012   #12
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

James,

Thanks for your efforts to continue FloraMato!!

I had about 12 pounds of it sitting in the garage, having used the TomatoTone Mix in the fertilizer strips already this year. Not until Ami put up this Thread did I have a "V-8 Moment" and realize it is water soluble - and I could do a mid-Season soil drench with it. I've used approx 2 teaspoons per plant in doing the drench yesterday.

I'll apply it again on August 1, then again on Sept 1. Glad to know it will be around for a while. James, what is the package size and cost from GH?

Raybo
Old July 2, 2012   #13
babice
Tomatovillian™

Well, I'm for sure going to have to remember this. I just stocked up on Buddha Grow and Buddha Bloom plus I have the Fox Farms stuff so I will have to wait and use it next year. Thanks for the info ami!
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2012   #14
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
James,

Thanks for your efforts to continue FloraMato!!

I had about 12 pounds of it sitting in the garage, having used the TomatoTone Mix in the fertilizer strips already this year. Not until Ami put up this Thread did I have a "V-8 Moment" and realize it is water soluble - and I could do a mid-Season soil drench with it. I've used approx 2 teaspoons per plant in doing the drench yesterday.

I'll apply it again on August 1, then again on Sept 1. Glad to know it will be around for a while. James, what is the package size and cost from GH?

Raybo
Jessie didn't say specifically. I did give him a credit card number though. It appears to come in 1.5 or 16 gallon tubs.
I was thinking this would be a good alternative to Tomato Tone as the fertilizer "strip" Any thoughts on that?
Old July 2, 2012   #15
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

James,

When I used 2 Cups of it in the EarthTainer's fertilizer strip a year ago, i was somewhat disappointed. Now I COMPLETELY understand why!!

ForaMato is WATER SOLUBLE - meaning that it probably dissolved in the Mix within a few days. Really DUMB thing to do on my part.

As an "instant release" fertilizer, it should never be used as the main fertilizer in the EarthTainer strip. But for supplemental fertilization later in the Season, it would be ideal. See the recommendation on the Label (above) to use it when flowering commences, which is what I've now started doing.

Thanks Ami for enlightening me on it's proper use.

Raybo