Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 4, 2008   #1
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Default Rank for flavor and overall desirability

Hi,

If you have a second, I'd appreciate your feedback on the following varieties, mainly in terms of FLAVOR.

Cornue des Andes
Ernesto
Momotaro Hybrid
Muchamiel
Nepal
Neves Azorean Red
Perestroika
Picardy
Rosalie's Early Orange / Sweet Horizon
Saint Pierre
Stupice
Sugar Lump (cherry)
Sugar Snack Hybrid (cherry)
SunSugar FT Hybrid (cherry)
Swiss Alpine
Visitacion Valley

Thanks.

GTG
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

[quote=GreenThumbGal_07;98479]Hi,

If you have a second, I'd appreciate your feedback on the following varieties, mainly in terms of FLAVOR.

Rated 1-5, 5 bwing best, NG= not grown

Cornue des Andes, NG
Ernesto, died
Momotaro Hybrid, NG
Muchamiel, 1-2
Nepal, 2
Neves Azorean Red, 4-5
Perestroika, can't remember
Picardy, 3-4
Rosalie's Early Orange / Sweet Horizon, confused here, why the same? Have grown only SH, 3
Saint Pierre, 3-4
Stupice, 3
Sugar Lump (cherry), NG
Sugar Snack Hybrid (cherry), NG
SunSugar FT Hybrid (cherry). NG
Swiss Alpine, NG
Visitacion Valley, 1 I got it out of the USDA years ago b'c it sounded like a cemetery. Was Visitation Valley
Old May 4, 2008   #3
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

I have only grown two of those varieties. Neves Azorean Red is one of the tastiest varieties around. Fullbodied, tangy flavor has made it a favorite with me and those who grow my plants. Stupice was a bust for me. The taste was bland and several fruit had an off taste that made you want to spit them out. I have had much better luck for earlies with Gregori's Altai, Early Large Red and Clear Pink Early.

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008   #4
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

I will use Carolyn's 1 to 5 scale with 5 being best:

Momotaro:4
Nepal:4
Neves Azorean Red:5
SunSugar:3
Stupice:2

Didn't grow the others.
Old May 4, 2008   #5
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

All,

Thanks for your replies.

I'm asking because I have limited planting space this year. Sugar Lump and Picardy are already potted and outside.

Neves Azorean Red - wow, what a tomato. It's huge and delicious. I was so impressed I gave it to my neighbor and urged him to try it (he's planted Omar's Lebanese and is looking forward to that one too).

Nepal - this is the one that (when I had it outside on the office patio) never made it to the kitchen; apparently people were eating it out there! Small, dense, and sweet. I guess it varies depending on where it's grown.

Muchamiel - I've never tried it, but I have read it's a favorite (commercial, open-pollinated?) tomato in southeastern Spain.

Saint Pierre - ditto, but in France instead. Maybe not a big commercial variety, but popular there.

Rosalie's Early Orange / Sweet Horizon - I purchased seed from Underwood Gardens, which sells it under both names. A local nursery used to offer it but I haven't seen their tomato list for this year.

Visitacion Valley / Visitation Valley - Pam Pierce called it "Visitacion" in her book Golden Gate Gardening.

So now I have Muchamiel, Momotaro, and Saint Pierre outside, and hope that I can find pots for those too. I hope to have maybe a dozen varieties but I want at least two. I want Andes also (needs a very large pot).

Thanks for the feedback.

GTG
Old May 4, 2008   #6
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I haven't grown the others, but Momotaro is a must grow every year.

P.S. What does the "FT" mean after SunSugar?
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008   #7
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Barkeater,

According to the Tomato Growers Supply Inc. catalog, (F) indicates tolerance to fusarium wilt, and (T) indicates tolerance to the tobacco mosaic virus.
Old May 4, 2008   #8
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! I'm used to seeing VFT, just didn't put 2+2 together. Duh!
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008   #9
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Sugar Snack Hybrid F1, seeds from TGS, and I loved them. Round red cherry tomatoes that comes in long clusters. Taste was really good. Perhaps 3-4 on a 1-5 scale, or maybe 3, if Black Cherry is 4 and Brandywine and Stump of the world is 5.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008   #10
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Sunsugar is good, right up there close to sungold. Very sweet with some fruitiness. Makes a good snack next to a bacon and egg breakfast. The plant was not as productive as sungold I don't think. slightly larger cherries than sungold, but a tad less in production. Still fair in production though.
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008   #11
SLO_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Rankings

I have only grown two of those:

Momotaro
I was very pleased with this one. I'd give it a 4.

Stupice
I have grown this one twice, a few years apart. The first time it was pretty good (3-4). Then last year I grew it and it was pretty flavorless (1-2). I don't know if it was the weather, watering, different compost, etc.
SLO_Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008   #12
happyscientist
Tomatovillian™

Neves Azorean Red sounds good, but I have never heard of it. Where do you get seeds/plants? I have to agree with the stupice reviews. I grew them once and that was enough. I grow the sunsugar every year. They are productive and tasty. One plant usually produces enough for me and my dog (he follows me around begging for them).
happyscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyscientist View Post
Neves Azorean Red sounds good, but I have never heard of it. Where do you get seeds/plants? I have to agree with the stupice reviews. I grew them once and that was enough. I grow the sunsugar every year. They are productive and tasty. One plant usually produces enough for me and my dog (he follows me around begging for them).
Seeds for Neves Azorean Red are available from SandhillPreservation.com and TomatoGrowers.com.

I don't know about plants but you might check the list of plants offered by Darrel Jones at selectedplants.com b/c he lists a wide variety of plants.

I received seeds of NAR from a local person who got them from a relative who got them from the man who owned Neptune Harvest Co in the Boston area. He traded fish liquid fertilizer for fruits brought to him by Tony Neves who had come from the Azores to that area.

I always feel great when one of the varieties I've introduced through the SSE Yearbook for SSE members is liked by so many folks. I send the best of my newer varieties to seed sources I know and trust for trial and so many of my new ones end up at usually Sandhill and/or TGS and more recently I've sent some to Mike at Victory Seeds for trial.

Lately I've been offering a limited number of new ones here for the past few Springs. Whether that will continue is strictly up to the season at hand and good growth and good seed production for both SSE members ( Yearbook obligation) as well as folks here.

NAR is not that new for I listed it about 5 years ago.
Old May 10, 2008   #14
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Cornue des Andes NG
Ernesto- Excellent and one of my favorites the year I grew it. Not sure I will have one this year as the seedlings didn't do well at germination. I would say 3 for flavor but I enjoyed the size and meatiness of these for canning.
Momotaro Hybrid- I wasn't really thrilled with this but it was productive with very uniform nice fruits. Not bad, though. A friend who shares similar tastes thought maybe I didn't get the real thing so I'm growing her seeds this year. 2 for flavor.
Muchamiel NG
Nepal- Nice, though not outstanding. 2-3 for flavor.
Neves Azorean Red-Heard lots of good things but it was a stink bug magnet each time I've grown it so I've never gotten a really good taste.
Perestroika NG
Picardy-Grown, but can't remember??
Rosalie's Early Orange / Sweet Horizon NG
Saint Pierre NG
Stupice-I preferred this over Kimberly for taste. Very nice smaller early. 3 for taste.
Sugar Lump (cherry)
Sugar Snack Hybrid (cherry) NG
SunSugar FT Hybrid (cherry) My favorite cherry, hands down. I like sweet and it sure is. Great for snacking but not much depth. 3 for flavor.
Swiss Alpine NG
Visitacion Valley NG
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008   #15
pbud
Tomatovillian™

Hi GTG,
Interesting that NAR did so well for you in our climate. I grew it two years ago and was disappointed with it. I was also disappointed with Stupice and Ernesto.

I'm trying NAR again this year (in Martinez this time) and hoping for better results - your info is encouraging. I love Sugar Lump. Last year I crossed it with Brandywine hoping for something earlish, mid sized, and delicious in cool climates. Growing F1's this year.

I'll be curious to hear your results.

Paul
pbud is offline   Reply With Quote