Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 8, 2014   #211
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

ScienceDaily:
Coming soon: Genetically edited 'super bananas' and other fruit?

Short review in TiB:
Looking forward to genetically edited fruit crops

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2014   #212
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Mi-1.2, an R gene for aphid resistance in tomato, has direct negative effects on a zoophytophagous biocontrol agent, Orius insidiosus

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old September 9, 2014   #213
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

"Mi-1.2 is a single dominant gene in tomato that confers race-specific resistance against certain phloem-feeding herbivores including aphids, whiteflies, psyllids, and root-knot nematodes."
Thanks Chris excellent info.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2014   #214
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I found it interesting from a number of perspectives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Thanks Chris excellent info.
Dutch

Old September 9, 2014   #215
Hermitian
BANNED

Oh darn. Trying to dig through the cobwebs of my memories. There was a nice "research review" on the genetic history of peaches from circa 2000. I read it about 2003. It might have been from UC Davis (since they have the GRIN repository). There were a number of specific collection sites (groves) called out by latitude and longitude. Can't imagine why it is still a matter of question, but perhaps this paper has refined that work.
Old September 10, 2014   #216
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Cool how real science works, huh?

Maybe they referenced the paper you are trying to recall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
Can't imagine why it is still a matter of question, but perhaps this paper has refined that work.

Old September 15, 2014   #217
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Cool how real science works, huh?

Maybe they referenced the paper you are trying to recall?
In general, I am still a believer in the graduate school process. A non-majority but significant number of students - whether qualifying at the M.S. or PhD level recognize the value of previous peer-reviewed authors. I am sure this opinion resonates with some readers here and is dissonant with others. I'm not sure I can help with the dissonance because it revolves around people's own insecurities. Regardless, in our nation the facts move on and the folks with a misunderstanding of measurements are left in "shock and awe" category.

With regard to the specific topic of peaches, I spent 20 years keeping tabs on cultivar research (among other interests) relevant to my environment. I am certain there will always be improvements. I'm also certain that they will be from cultivars sourced in China at latitudes 30-40 and refined by UC ARS. From my own experience in double-blind taste tests I don't believe there will be any improvement soon for my climate on Snow Queen nectarine (nectarines are fuzzless peaches often sold under-ripe) and Saturn peach (not the "donut" peach sold in stores, but the original Saturn cultivar sold by Dave Wilson and others).

Last edited by Hermitian; September 15, 2014 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Dave Wilson
Hermitian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2014   #218
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Still in preview format.

Efficient gene editing in tomato in the first generation using the CRISPR/Cas9 system

Targeted mutagenesis of the tomato PROCERA gene using TALENs

Last edited by ChrisK; September 20, 2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: added related paper
Old September 20, 2014   #219
bower
Tomatovillian™

WOw. Sounds like they'll soon be putting amateur breeders out of business... good thing we're in it for the fun - or the trouble, if you prefer.

How long do you expect, Chris, before gene edited tomato seeds are on the market?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2014   #220
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
WOw. Sounds like they'll soon be putting amateur breeders out of business... good thing we're in it for the fun - or the trouble, if you prefer.

How long do you expect, Chris, before gene edited tomato seeds are on the market?
You'll need a USDA license plus a non-distribution agreement from the producer (and a pocket book to match it) if you want to buy GMO seeds.
Old September 21, 2014   #221
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Typically 20 to 30 percent of a genome is non-functional DNA. Identifying sections that are not functional and removing them would be one target of DNA editing.

Restoring function of genes that have mutated in a way to become non functional would be a second target for editing.

Adding novel genes from related species would be the third target.

Adding denovo genes from unrelated species or even crossing kingdom boundaries would be another option.

The next possibility would be to construct genes from scratch designed and intended to perform specific functions.

The ultimate possibility is to move entire biopaths from one organism to another. Consider if the symbiotic nodulation relationship of cowpea were moved into maize. The result would be maize that produces most of the nitrogen needed for corn production. This would probably require reduction of DIMBOA in maize along with incorporation of parts of the immune structures from cowpea.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2014   #222
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
You'll need a USDA license plus a non-distribution agreement from the producer (and a pocket book to match it) if you want to buy GMO seeds.
Of course... they can always price themselves out of the market (at least, the home garden market). For my own part, I'm contented with the present genetic diversity in tomatoes, and just interested in breeding and selecting plants which do well enough in my local conditions.

At first glance, gene editing looks like a shortcut to create new varieties with all the desired traits - taste, production, and disease resistance. That would make it (eventually) a more efficient breeding process than conventional breeding, and less costly for those who have the technology.
I can see that's not the case as yet, since the reported efficiencies are low, and every plant has to be screened to assess the results of the process. But perhaps those efficiencies will increase as the process is refined.
One thing for sure, this development isn't driven by altruism. It's expensive, and that means the shortest route to a marketable product will probably prevail....
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2014   #223
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

This one has been hitting the popular press.

'Most famous wheat gene' discovered, clears way for non-GMO breeding

PNAS paper:

Silencing of a metaphase I-specific gene results in a phenotype similar to that of the Pairing homeologous 1 (Ph1) gene mutations

Old September 25, 2014   #224
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Genome engineering via TALENs and CRISPR/Cas9 systems: challenges and perspectives

Old September 26, 2014   #225
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Analysis of Natural and Induced Variation in Tomato Glandular Trichome Flavonoids Identifies a Gene Not Present in the Reference Genome