Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old December 21, 2014   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapout View Post
My grandmother would have me pick poke for poke salads for her. I will do a proper post on organic bush craft. The subject needs to be done and maybe even its own forum section because of the vast amount of information. I think everyone here at Tomatoville is interested in being healthy. I personally want to cut out all the gmos and chemicals and pure evil out of my diet that I can and use natural remedies when possible.
Sounds like a great idea to me.
There is a ton of information that needs to be preserved and what better place than here.
Right in my woods here in Texas is an abundance of caffeine just waiting to be picked.
It is in the yaupon leaves.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2014   #17
drew51
Tomatovillian™

I like to eat well, even if not healthy. Oh well. I would not assign something as evil though. Like a hammer cannot be evil. Some of the most deadly chemicals known to man are natural and organic. I don't see any difference between a GMO and a hammer. GMO's are not evil. They can be an extremely useful. A given tool, our knowledge, our brains were given to us to use. I myself believe it is natural for man to create. We were given the ability, and we should use it. 200 hundred years from now if we are still around we will probably be able to live a lot longer as the naturally occurring cancers will be understood. How to stop them artificially or otherwise. If you study medicine cancer is just a matter of time. All men will eventually get prostate cancer if they lived long enough. our bodies will fail to replicate properly. Cancers are our own cells after all. I have a good friend who has cystic fibrosis. When I met her she was 5 years old or so. At that time life expectancy was 18 years. She is now 23 and expected to make it to 35. Thanks to man made artificial synthetic drugs. Thank goodness man never stops trying to push the envelope and I hope with all my heart GMO's will never stop being tried as they may save us all one day. The genetic techniques learned in other fields are being applied to medicine. That something might be found to make my dear friend even live longer. please do not try to stop that. For here genetic manipulation is the answer. The GMO research is extremely important, and it is personal for me. I want her to be a GMO one day and rid her of her organic, natural defective gene that caused CF. that is destroying her body.
Man is a natural creature, an animal, a great ape, so whatever man does is natural.

She is a gardener too, here is a story about her (Julia Ruggirello)
https://www.rcpd.msu.edu/blog/post/the-rcpd-applauds-btn-scholarship-finalists

More about her
http://www.childrensdmc.org/JuliaRuggirello

Sorry to get on my soapbox. I love this person, and genetic research is the answer for her. Even if just a slight chance a GMO technique could be useful is so important to me.
Her brother has it too. Her dad is one of my very best friends. No doubt gene manipulation is the answer for her. It's the only possible cure. Nothing on this earth can save her except our creativity and the manipulation of genetic material. This is not evil, it is anything but evil. I have nothing else to say about it, it's too close for me to comment, sorry. I just want people to really think about what they are doing. Stop GMO's you may just stop Julia and many others too. These people very well could come up with a gene splicing technique that could help her, that is not a far stretch at all.

Last edited by drew51; December 21, 2014 at 11:41 PM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2014   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Drew I'm only in it for the natural plants that are overlooked out in the woods and fields.
Medicine and GMO's are like an explosive they can be use for the better of man or the detriment of humankind through greed and hate.

I came home last year at this exact same time to watch over my wife in her last days before she died.
Every one of those days I wished they would have come up with a cure by way of GMO's.
I still do.
I dont see a soap box a see a passionate man that wants to see his loved ones live.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2014   #19
Tapout
Tomatovillian™

drew51 you are talking about epigenetics and gmo corn fed to mice causes sterilization and a host of problems by the 4th generation. gmo corn is banned in several countries after massive research studies. Just because the USA uses something doesn't make it healthy.

Also drew51 I am sorry for your friends condition, but there's a difference between medicine and food. With medicine you have a choice to either take it or not with gmo food that's not labeled you can only guess. No one should be forced to gamble if they do not want to.

Last edited by Tapout; December 22, 2014 at 09:02 AM.
Tapout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2014   #20
Iva
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
I did receive some seeds in a swap, but that may take 10 years for fruit.
Maybe I'll buy some plants online, like I did with my blueberry plants.
Nope, it only takes three years from seed to first flowers and then the plant starts to bear fruit more and more with each year that passes. So, good luck with the seeds!!
Iva is offline   Reply With Quote