Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 2, 2016   #31
henry
Tomatovillian™

Weasels, always bring a smile to my face I am happy to have them about doing in rodents.
Old March 3, 2016   #32
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Here is my fool proof mouse trap works every time.
Smokey doing her part in the elimination of mice and rats.
Just took this picture.
Small mouse right above her right ear.
Worth
Attachment 56853
When I was a boy my cat would go hunting with me. She loved to go to the corncrib with me and catch mice when I would shovel the corn around to flush them out!
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2016   #33
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

To update - it's now me - 2 mice - .5 -- mouse #2 breached my defenses and dug up/ate several more. grrrrrrr. That was with a cover - somehow it managed to push it sideways & got enough room to enter under the cover. I should say me - 2.25 as theirs a partially bald mouse running around somewhere judging from the amount of hair on the sticky trap. That's what I don't like about them, as it's been my experience a determined mouse is going to get away. So far it's sticky trap 1, snap trap baited with sunflower & steamed rolled oats -1.
Lastfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2016   #34
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfling View Post
To update - it's now me - 2 mice - .5 -- mouse #2 breached my defenses and dug up/ate several more. grrrrrrr. That was with a cover - somehow it managed to push it sideways & got enough room to enter under the cover. I should say me - 2.25 as theirs a partially bald mouse running around somewhere judging from the amount of hair on the sticky trap. That's what I don't like about them, as it's been my experience a determined mouse is going to get away. So far it's sticky trap 1, snap trap baited with sunflower & steamed rolled oats -1.
use rolo's or tootsie rolls smashed on to the lever.. it works fabulously.
Old March 4, 2016   #35
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

I'll stop on way home this evening and pick some up to try.

Also, this last one had a preference for the GGWT, whose seed I received from Marsha's generous offer.- went right down the cells. If this keeps up, I'm going to run out of seed LOL.

Last edited by Lastfling; March 4, 2016 at 08:03 AM. Reason: addition
Old March 4, 2016   #36
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I had to pull the mouse off the last one I used a rolo to bait it with... Then I reset the trap in the greenhouse for any further investigators of such a divine habitat to try living in...
Old March 7, 2016   #37
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Here is my fool proof mouse trap works every time.
Smokey doing her part in the elimination of mice and rats.
Just took this picture.
Small mouse right above her right ear.
Worth
Attachment 56853

Haha! This is my mouse prevention too. Have seen two mice since the cats moved in. Both dead. Never heard a peep or saw any droppings/damage before there were corpses.

The outdoor cat catches birds, squirrels, and mice. I see Cheeto eating them all year round, find the half eaten bits on my porch too. (I do supplement with cat food in the winter though to keep him from being too hungry/cold)

We had a barn cat when I was growing up named Carrots. He used to lay in the doorway and windows of the barn waiting for the birds, bamn! He'd jump up and grab them! Fetched squirrels out of nests, and hunted through the grain and hay in the barn for rodents too. Didn't dare let him in the chicken coop to stop the mice in there though. He was a real killer. Of course back then we had lots of barn cats in and out of our area. Rarely saw a mouse.

One of my favorite memories to tell is my dad flushing out chipmunks and voles etc out of their tunnels in the garden. He'd stick a hose in one end and turn it on. The cats would be sitting patiently all over the garden, up would pop a rodent and bamn there would be ten cats FLYING after it.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2016   #38
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackyardFarm View Post
Haha! This is my mouse prevention too. Have seen two mice since the cats moved in. Both dead. Never heard a peep or saw any droppings/damage before there were corpses.

The outdoor cat catches birds, squirrels, and mice. I see Cheeto eating them all year round, find the half eaten bits on my porch too. (I do supplement with cat food in the winter though to keep him from being too hungry/cold)

We had a barn cat when I was growing up named Carrots. He used to lay in the doorway and windows of the barn waiting for the birds, bamn! He'd jump up and grab them! Fetched squirrels out of nests, and hunted through the grain and hay in the barn for rodents too. Didn't dare let him in the chicken coop to stop the mice in there though. He was a real killer. Of course back then we had lots of barn cats in and out of our area. Rarely saw a mouse.

One of my favorite memories to tell is my dad flushing out chipmunks and voles etc out of their tunnels in the garden. He'd stick a hose in one end and turn it on. The cats would be sitting patiently all over the garden, up would pop a rodent and bamn there would be ten cats FLYING after it.
That is probably where the game "Whack A Mole" came from!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2016   #39
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I just saw an amazing segment on tv about a farmer who had 3 rat terriers. Amazing dogs! Never knew they caught rodents so well (DUH!). In a few minutes they had a pile of mice, dead, none eaten, just bitten and killed in an instant. I had a friend with a pampered rat terrier, city born and bred. She would've keeled over if she had ever seen her cherished pet chase a rat, it never had that opportunity and we never discussed about the name of the breed. Now I know.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2016   #40
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

My feists love to hunt mice and rats as much as treeing squirrels. I've had some fun evenings around the barn with them killing rats. Here is a picture of, Lucy Lou trying to sniff out a vole the other day. She is 6 months old now.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2016   #41
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Yay for Lucy Lou! what a great dog.
The cat drug the fattest vole/mole in the other day I have ever seen... Good boy! The yard is like a sponge in places. I hate those things.
Old March 8, 2016   #42
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Grandmothers home in Bavaria.

I still retell the memory's of my time with her when I was real young.She had a combo coal,potato(beets,onions etc.)winter cellar.Before and during the season a man would come with a bag of ferrets and let them loose in the cellar,he would come back and gather them up.That was "old school" varmint control.
Old March 8, 2016   #43
encore
Tomatovillian™

just get a 5 gallon bucket and a piece of 1x2 to use as ramp . take a drill and drill indents into the wood every few inches or more. put 6 inches or so of water in the bucket, lean the 1x2 or other type board against the bucket, like a ramp going up, place a sunflower seed in every indent, then pour some sunflowers in the bucket , they will float on the water, when the mouse eats his way to the top, and sees all the other seeds he thinks he found the honey hole and jumps in,, gets tired of swimming and drowns, works for chipmunks too.

Last edited by encore; March 8, 2016 at 08:51 AM. Reason: misspelled word
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2016   #44
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore View Post
just get a 5 gallon bucket and a piece of 1x2 to use as ramp . take a drill and drill indents into the wood every few inches or more. put 6 inches or so of water in the bucket, lean the 1x2 or other type board against the bucket, like a ramp going up, place a sunflower seed in every indent, then pour some sunflowers in the bucket , they will float on the water, when the mouse eats his way to the top, and sees all the other seeds he thinks he found the honey hole and jumps in,, gets tired of swimming and drowns, works for chipmunks too.

I did something like that a few years ago here during a bad drought but not to kill anything it was to have a critter watering hole.
I took a 40 gallon water trough and put some rocks in the bottom
A 1x8 ramp going up and one going in,
All day long you could see every critter that lives here drink out of it.
Hawks owls eagles coons possums lizards snakes deer you name it.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #45
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

To update - mouse #3 bit the bullet and (fingers crossed) seed I planted last week has germinated fairly well - several stragglers and no shows, but good results overall.

Phoenix - our mouser, is pretty slack. She does well outside with voles, moles, etc - but inside not so good. That plus the fact, I don't trust her alone with seedlings. Ha