Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 25, 2006   #1
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Default Jeff Nekola's Heirloom Vegetable Archive

Good to see this resource back up again. Here's the new address:

http://sev.lternet.edu/~jnekola/Heirloom/plantlist.htm
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Suze.

I don't have time tonight but I'm not sure what I'm seeing. On the first page is a list of tomatoes, etc., called a PLANT list which was updated today and you can click on each variety, but if one clicks on tomatoes at the left hand margin one gets the kinds of pictures and attributes that we've seen before and at the bottom it indicates it was updated last year.

I know that Jeff used to be involved in plants sales as a money raising event, so I guess I'll have to go back and reread and try to figure out what's what.

In any case the info there, with pictures and a bit of background, is more than welcome to be found on the internet once again.
Old December 26, 2006   #3
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Yoikes, I didn't know there were so many garlics.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2006   #4
greggf
Tomatovillian™

Is Nekola the guy from the U of WI at Green Bay?

Great pics.

=gregg=
greggf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2006   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggf
Is Nekola the guy from the U of WI at Green Bay?

Great pics.

=gregg=
Gregg, he used to be a Professor there but left maybe 3-4 years ago and I looked at the website to see a current location but didn't see any.

All I know is that he was supposed to somehow be in some kind of relationship with SSE in the interim, and he has given many lectures and tours there on the ecology and geology of the SSE acreage, but I do think he also transferred to another college or University/

If it's a weirdo variety Jeff would usually have a picture of it b'c he really went in for the offbeat varieties, but always grew the more conventional varioeties as well. And he's one who also stopped listing in the SSE Yearbook b'c of the low reoffer rate from folks who requested his varieties. There were several who had just had it in the same way b'c folks were joining SSE just to get their own personal seeds and weren't reoffering so as to help perpetuate varieties, which, after all, is the mission of SSE.
Old December 26, 2006   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Is he a member here?
Not that I know of and I doubt it for he never had the time from his academic pursuits to post online at message sites.

Having said that, I'm the one who took all that time from my academic pursuits to build up the AOL tomato folder way back in about 1990 and thru the 90's.

Jeff McCormack, for instance, former owner of SESE is registered here and did one post on the history of the tomato and I haven't seen him since. But he's got his Garden Medicinals website and goodies to maintain as well as other websites viz some Federal grants, and makes most of his cash by doing website design.

Mischka noted that Vince Sapp (TGS), recently deceased, was a member here, and he was at GW as well, but Vince was just reading to see what the temper of the times was as regards interest in tomato varieties and new ones. Then he'd tell Linda and then Linda would call me and ask for this or that.

Neil Lockhart reads here but doesn't post and Bill Minkey has been fighting the computer issue, as in he hasn't given in yet, , and I don't think I've seen the owners of online seed sources here unless they're using a user name I don't know.

And that could well be b/c recently I was quite surprised when I got someones request for the seed offer and it turned out to be someone I knew but I didn't have a clue as to the user name being used.

And of course Tom Wagner has posted here from time to time, occasionally and Marianne Jones doesn't post online as far as I know and Jere Gettle at Baker Creek has his own message site and I've never seen Tom Hauch post anywhere and on and on.
Old August 30, 2007   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

*bump*

I was looking up something on Jeff's website today, and he really has excellent pictures of some not so common varieties, as well as more well-known varieties.

Just thought some newer Tomatovillians might want to know about it.

And looking at his site reminds me that I have seeds of Craig's Potato Leaf, which I somehow cannot resist growing for kicks in the next year or two, having met the namesake.

(I don't remember Craig or anyone else raving too much about it, though)
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2007   #8
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

I have the complete site saved when he was at UWGB... there were 2 versions--a couple tomatoes were either replaced with other ones I think on an updated version, though I forgot which, maybe Stick was on one.

This one is even better--the old ones didn't have garlic!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote