Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 29, 2007   #1
happychick
Tomatovillian™

Default Small Fry and beefmaster

I ended up finding some local nurseries that had seedlings, but there weren't many choices at this time of year. (I'm not sure why, since I live in zone 9...) I ended up getting a 6 pack of small fry and another of beefmaster. Can the experts tell me what you think of those tomatoes? I'm especially interested in hearing about small fry, since I can't find any information on how they actually taste. I'd also like to know how big the small fry plants tend to get. I'm thinking of putting one or two of them in a pot and am not sure how big of a pot they'd need. From what I'm gathering, they're pretty small plants. Is that correct?
happychick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2007   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Yes, Small Fry is a small plant. Mine was in a pot and grew to about 18 inches. It's your average little red cherry.

I've also grown Beefmaster and I'm sure it has some devoted fans but I also thought it was pretty average in terms of flavor. Production was quite good, as I recall. I haven't grown hybrids for several years though so I wouldn't swear to it.
Old August 29, 2007   #3
happychick
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm. So what other hybrids might be better than beefmaster? There aren't many available here. I had tons of seedlings for Cherokee Purple, Homestead and Mr. Stripey going when I left town for a few weeks, but somehow they all died while I was gone. (Hubby swears it wasn't his fault. ) This is only my first year gardening and the only hybrid I grew in the spring was a patio. The only indeterminates (at least I think these were all indeterminates - I know ya'll will correct me if I'm wrong) I saw while I was out looking were Beefmaster, Big Boy, some cherry type (I don't want another cherry anyway) and Better Boy. Determinates I saw were Celebrity, Carnival, Patio, Small Fry, Roma, La Roma and some other cherry. Would you recommend any of the others over Beefmaster?
Old August 29, 2007   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

In a hybrid, I personally prefer the flavor of Big Boy or Better Boy but everybody is different. You might really like the Beefmaster. If you already have it, give it a try.
Old August 30, 2007   #5
happychick
Tomatovillian™

I'll try it out, but I think I'll get a pack of one of the others, too. Might as well, for $1.59.

I forgot to ask, does the small fry even need a support?
Old August 30, 2007   #6
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I don't think I used any support with the Small Fry. I think it'll be fine without.