Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 10, 2017   #166
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Could be an eyewall replacement cycle. Actually it looks to me like it's getting better organized around the eye- the cloud tops are becoming consistently high all around the eye. I hope this is not the case....
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #167
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Did you see the water being sucked out? Amazing!!
https://twitter.com/jillianmele/stat...94255381250049
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #168
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I apologize for not providing a link, but YouTube "Bahama Ocean disappeared". The ocean disappears from view as far as you can see. Incredible!
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #169
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
That's not the standard everywhere along the coast. After Katrina I had to use more clips and straps and everyone complained but it does help. It's kinda odd that Gulfport only used some of Miami-Dade upgrade regulations. I built my house and used clips and straps so much the inspectors were questioning me.

Marsha, do you still have power? It looks like it's out on some of the Weather underground weather stations. I see some light winds when you can find it on here.
Type in Miami and you can see the working personal weather stations.
https://www.wunderground.com/wundermap
Yes, still have power, watching netflix.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #170
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Interesting story I heard on TV several years ago.
There was a home builder that used the metal clips and brackets on homes he built in Florida.
His homes were more costly because of it and he didn't get very many bids.
I cant remember what hurricane came through but all of the homes that didn't have these clips ine this area were blown away.
His were the only ones standing.
He then got tons of businesses and me thinks this is the new standard for all homes now.
Yes, our house built in 2003 on North Padre Island has those Hurricane straps. Even the fence was required to have them.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; September 10, 2017 at 01:03 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #171
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Could be an eyewall replacement cycle. Actually it looks to me like it's getting better organized around the eye- the cloud tops are becoming consistently high all around the eye. I hope this is not the case....
Its up against a lot of shear and land mass. Expected to weaken somewhat.
Old September 10, 2017   #172
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I apologize for not providing a link, but YouTube "Bahama Ocean disappeared". The ocean disappears from view as far as you can see. Incredible!
Hubby thinks a huge tsunami wave will come in and those people should get as far away as possible. How scary.

Here is a link
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...close&id=&vid=

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #173
bower
Tomatovillian™

My cousin was in Florida for Hurricane Andrew and this is how she described the storm surge - that the water emptied right out and people were out walking on the bare bottom... and then it swept back in.

Everyone should know, when the ocean sucks out like that it comes back with a vengeance!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #174
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Hubby thinks a huge tsunami wave will come in and those people should get as far away as possible. How scary.

Here is a link
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...close&id=&vid=
Thanks for posting the link Rock. I had never seen anything like that, but it is definately scary to think about. They should probably post a WARNING to the idiots out there that it is unsafe to homestead and populate the exposed ocean floor.
Old September 10, 2017   #175
49tandc
Tomatovillian™

We are 1/2 way between Gainesville and Cedar Key. Luckily on high ground, but live in a mobile home. The Quonset hut shed - with the Jeeps, 3 other classic cars and a Viking is all buttoned up. We took down the 16 ft fiberglass great white shark from the center isle of the barn as the center isle acts like big a wind tunnel and the shark was hanging 15 ft up. The shark is now lashed down outside and horses taken care of. Greenhouse and pump house are on their own, nothing more can be done for them. Rest of property is pretty much woods. I'm expecting downed trees, debris cleanup and no power for a couple of days. We have generator and about 600 gals of potable water as we will need to water the horses as well as ourselves until power is restored. Hopefully no structural damage when we come back. We also have families in Lakeland and Tampa. They have plans in place if it gets too bad for them.

We are going to a shelter about 4PM or earlier if it gets bad. Planning on spending the night and then back tomorrow afternoon. Other Floridians - keep your heads down. Interesting factoid. The governor rescinded the concealed carry requirement to allow homeowners to protect themselves from looters.

49T&C
49tandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #176
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49tandc View Post
We are 1/2 way between Gainesville and Cedar Key. Luckily on high ground, but live in a mobile home. The Quonset hut shed - with the Jeeps, 3 other classic cars and a Viking is all buttoned up. We took down the 16 ft fiberglass great white shark from the center isle of the barn as the center isle acts like big a wind tunnel and the shark was hanging 15 ft up. The shark is now lashed down outside and horses taken care of. Greenhouse and pump house are on their own, nothing more can be done for them. Rest of property is pretty much woods. I'm expecting downed trees, debris cleanup and no power for a couple of days. We have generator and about 600 gals of potable water as we will need to water the horses as well as ourselves until power is restored. Hopefully no structural damage when we come back. We also have families in Lakeland and Tampa. They have plans in place if it gets too bad for them.

We are going to a shelter about 4PM or earlier if it gets bad. Planning on spending the night and then back tomorrow afternoon. Other Floridians - keep your heads down. Interesting factoid. The governor rescinded the concealed carry requirement to allow homeowners to protect themselves from looters.

49T&C
We made a run to Orlando from W V.yesterday,found a Marriott Resident Inn,most allow pets.Now we are stuck in a curfew till manana at 6pm.Watching storm from 5th floor Orlando downtown Marriot.Brand new Hurricane Impact windows.....we shall see.Heard rumors margo de largo (pres summer White House)is no more.In the long run Hurricanes replenish the land,reseed,shredded plants seeds get sent everywhere,coconuts float,birds relocate with seeds ready for deposit.Fresh water flushes.Best lawnmower anywhere.Win win in my book.And best of all plenty of employment,even though at those sad parts of the storm.Good Luck be back south come Monday eve.
Old September 10, 2017   #177
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Whew! Finally saw the last bright red and yellow feeder band is now north of us. Supposed to be the worst of the storm until 8 pm, but the radar shows some areas clearing. Time for a snack, lol. I just got a notification that Irma is a Cat 2 now.
All my friends lost power, we didnt. I think it's because our wiring is underground. Feeling fortunate.
Old September 10, 2017   #178
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad you made it with power so far. Do you have any tress down or damage that you know of ?
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2017   #179
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I'm glad you made it with power so far. Do you have any tress down or damage that you know of ?
Some limbs but not a whole tree. Mailbox down too.
Old September 10, 2017   #180
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I woke up from a nap this afternoon and flipped to the WC and Mike Bettes (I like the guy) was standing in the middle of a highway waiting for the eye of Irma to pass through him. I don't get it. They scream "run for your lives" for a week and then they go stand in the middle during the worst part of the storm. Are they not encouraging others to do the same thing?

I can't think of any other business that would intentionally put an employee in harms way just for the ratings and goes against everything they have been preaching not to do. This is NOT good reporting IMO. What's next? Armed war games on TV with live ammo?

National news has become so one sided, agenda driven and dividing our country apart. They are playing us for a bunch of suckers and I for one am sick of it. Just give us the facts, not opinion.
We can form our own opinions.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to let it out. It's getting old and so am I.

Last edited by SteveP; September 10, 2017 at 06:34 PM.