Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old April 3, 2013   #31
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I also started a Facebook page for the business at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Two-S...ref=ts&fref=ts . Some of you may be interested in following it. I will use Facebook for posting more on a regular basis.

Also, I would greatly appreciate it if someone can let me know about the functionality of the webpage on their phones. I have tested it on my side and everything looks fine but your experience may differ. Thanks.
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2013   #32
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Maras

The picture below belongs to Maras. A very hard to find Turkish heirloom from the city of Maras (located in the Mediterranean Region of Turkey). Traditionally grown for fresh eating, and for making pepper flakes. 65 days from transplant. Fruits are 3'' long average, light green, and deliciously and pleasantly hot.

I will release Maras, along with some other unique varieties, hopefully before this fall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MarasTSP.JPG (415.0 KB, 62 views)
Old May 23, 2013   #33
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

How hot are they chance?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2013   #34
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I would say less hot than Jalapeno. When eaten fresh, its spiciness doesn't last very long in mouth. In Maras, they let the fruits ripen and then process them for pepper flakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
How hot are they chance?
Old May 25, 2013   #35
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
The picture below belongs to Maras. A very hard to find Turkish heirloom from the city of Maras (located in the Mediterranean Region of Turkey). Traditionally grown for fresh eating, and for making pepper flakes. 65 days from transplant. Fruits are 3'' long average, light green, and deliciously and pleasantly hot.

I will release Maras, along with some other unique varieties, hopefully before this fall.
They look great! Do they turn red eventually? When I get the flakes they are a deep reddish maroon color, really beautiful.
Old May 25, 2013   #36
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

They are supposed to turn red, yes. In the region, not necessarily always only one specific variety is used to make pepper flakes but sometimes several different varieties are mixed altogether to derive a richer aroma. I am hoping that this variety will satisfy your taste buds. Not commercially available and doesn't have a variety name so I simply named it Maras to honor where it came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
They look great! Do they turn red eventually? When I get the flakes they are a deep reddish maroon color, really beautiful.
Old June 13, 2013   #37
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Another variety I will release this fall: Turkish Yaglik. Ripe fruits of this variety are used to make paste and sauces. Productive plants produce 4''-5'' long and 7''-8'' wide and sweet fruits with thick flesh. 90-100 days to maturity. Yaglik means "for paste."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TurkishYaglik.JPG (433.9 KB, 46 views)
Old June 15, 2013   #38
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Another variety I will release this fall: Turkish Yaglik. Ripe fruits of this variety are used to make paste and sauces. Productive plants produce 4''-5'' long and 7''-8'' wide and sweet fruits with thick flesh. 90-100 days to maturity. Yaglik means "for paste."
Is that a sweet? And is it as big as it looks?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old June 16, 2013   #39
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Yes, this is a sweet variety and yes, it produces large fruits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Is that a sweet? And is it as big as it looks?
Old June 20, 2013   #40
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Urfa Bell

I consider the following pepper variety, Urfa Bell, is a very important find. A traditional variety from Eastern Turkey, Urfa Bell produces four lobbed, bell-shaped, dark green, medium hot fruits. Ripe fruits are used to make a dark maroon powder with a rich flavor, or for stuffing. Very rare. DTM is 75-80 days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UrfaBell.JPG (369.1 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by chancethegardener; June 20, 2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old June 20, 2013   #41
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

that looks yummy!

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old June 21, 2013   #42
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Striped Ampoule

Striped Ampoule is one of the most prolific summer squash varieties I have ever grown. I plant two or more plants next to each other so that I can borrow male flowers on one plant to pollinate the female flowers on the other plant.

Fruits of this Turkish variety look like a bulb, as they become larger. 'Ampoule' is the French word for 'bulb', and was borrowed by Turkish as 'Ampul.' Large plants have beautiful foliage and are quite resistant to mildew. Traditionally used for frying. Taste best when the fruits are 8''-10''. 50-60 days to maturity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StripedAmpoule.JPG (431.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg StripedAmpouleFoliage.JPG (432.5 KB, 33 views)
Old June 21, 2013   #43
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Striped Ampoule is one of the most prolific summer squash varieties I have ever grown. I plant two or more plants next to each other so that I can borrow male flowers on one plant to pollinate the female flowers on the other plant.

Fruits of this Turkish variety look like a bulb, as they become larger. 'Ampoule' is the French word for 'bulb', and was borrowed by Turkish as 'Ampul.' Large plants have beautiful foliage and are quite resistant to mildew. Traditionally used for frying. Taste best when the fruits are 8''-10''. 50-60 days to maturity.
Yummy! Can't wait till next year! May have to try that one.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old July 4, 2013   #44
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

I have been growing quite a few new varieties on a goat farm since mid-April. Here is a brief story about how I started doing it: https://www.twoseedsinapod.com/blog/...on-a-goat-farm
Old July 5, 2013   #45
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have been growing quite a few new varieties on a goat farm since mid-April. Here is a brief story about how I started doing it: https://www.twoseedsinapod.com/blog/...on-a-goat-farm
Very cool Chance! You were holding out on us! Never knew you had such a set up!

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison