Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 19, 2008   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Carolyn,

I believe Neil lists it as a red heart, but his listing was erroneously put into PINK section. My seeds were from Neil, and it is certainly red, not pink.
And Bill Minkey's Palestinian is in pink b/c.......?

Yes, I can see in the past that Neil has listed it in the red section, but in the 2006 Neil was listing it in the pink section as well as in 2007 and so was Bill. Neils seeds from CV To2 and Bill's seeds from IL RA N in 03.

I have a great idea. Why don't we consider this variety unsolvable and move on to those classics Rutgers or Valiant, for instance.
Old June 19, 2008   #17
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

I have a great idea. Why don't we consider this variety unsolvable and move on to those classics Rutgers or Valiant, for instance.
OK.

another words, we'll leave it as a 'Mystery Palestinian, ILLON Strain' .

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2008   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
OK.

another words, we'll leave it as a 'Mystery Palestinian, ILLON Strain' .
First, I don't want to discuss Rutgers or Valiant.

Second, we don't name it after Neil. We give Mystery Palestinian strain designation to ANYONE who has listed it as a large heart, whether pink or red and that includes you Tania, as well as Minkey and Kapuler and the others.
Old June 19, 2008   #19
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Is it possible that the original lister who called it a 14 oz. oblong paste just didn't know to call it a heart?

I never knew until 6 years ago there was such a thing as oxhearts, and never saw one in real life until I grew some a few years ago. To me, and many others seeing one for the first time, hearts do look somewhat like a very large paste tomato. And moreso, they have a very similar dense, drier interior than round tomatoes.

Maybe Palestinian always has been a heart, just the description was unintentionally inaccurate.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2008   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
Is it possible that the original lister who called it a 14 oz. oblong paste just didn't know to call it a heart?

I never knew until 6 years ago there was such a thing as oxhearts, and never saw one in real life until I grew some a few years ago. To me, and many others seeing one for the first time, hearts do look somewhat like a very large paste tomato. And moreso, they have a very similar dense, drier interior than round tomatoes.

Maybe Palestinian always has been a heart, just the description was unintentionally inaccurate.
E, the original lister never did call it an oblong paste as I noted in my first post above from the 1988 Yearbook and then I backtracked and noted the same I think it was from the 1985.

Here's what was said:

IN the 1988 SSE YEarbook there is one entry for Palestinian by OH RI N and the only information given is:

100 days, indeterminate, same as Paste but 14 oz fruits.

The variety Paste follows that and one person says an oblong paste, another says 8-10 oz fruits with no shape mentioned and cites OH RI N ( see above for Palestinian) as the seed source.

OH RI N also lists Paste and says red, meaty 9 oz fruits, long keeper and indet.

So at no time did the Rini's call it an oblong paste themselves and I'm sure they knew what a heart was b'c many listers at that time were listing hearts and maybe even they were but I didn't check that out.
Old March 5, 2014   #21
debles
Tomatovillian™

Default Palestinian Pink Heart

I know this is an old thread, but it popped up when I was doing a search.

I have a couple of seedlings started for a Palestinian tomato this year. I got the seed from Marianna's heirloom seeds. She describes it as ...

Palestinian Pink Heart
Indeterminate. Regular leaf. 85 days. Wispy vines like most heart types, production was amazing. We always have loved the oxhearts and find them superior to paste types. This is must have for anyone who finds these types hard to grow.
debles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2014   #22
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

I usually grow Palestinian about every year... I rec'd mine in 2004 from VGary (miss him..) and is the pink. Wondering now if the other pack from another person might be red or pink?
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2014   #23
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

In 2008, or earlier, I believe there were still many people calling a clear skinned tomato (w/ red interior) as a red, not a pink.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2014   #24
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

Tormato, so true, I struggle to know if some are pink or red at first glance. Sweet meat was another with reddish interior at times. For my own use, I'm ok with pink/red....causes me less stress! Patty
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2014   #25
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty_b View Post
Tormato, so true, I struggle to know if some are pink or red at first glance. Sweet meat was another with reddish interior at times. For my own use, I'm ok with pink/red....causes me less stress! Patty

Basically you have to get some skin loose and determine if it's clear or yellow. Yellow = red tomato, clear = pink tomato. Knowing whether they are pink or red isn't going to change their taste so if they taste good eat them.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote