Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 6, 2014   #1
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Default Software for Breeding Plants

Is anyone using or know of a software (or an Excel template) that they would recommend? Ideally (for me) it would be free/low cost. (BTW, thanks ContainerTed for the softwares you provide). Alternatively, if you know of a commercial (paid for) application, recommend it here, (it can go on my wish list). When I've gone looking on the internet, most of what I've found is related to animal breeding which isn't quite the same. I'm going to list some things I think such a software should have (and some nice to haves). If you think of some other features, please note them, as since at the moment I have nothing, I probably don't fully know what I 'need'.

What it definitely should have:
Breeding ID
variety name (optional)
Link(s) to particular traits/genes (0 to many)
Link(s) to antecedents [ancestors] (0 to 2)
Link(s) to descendents (0 to many)

Nice to have:
Planning module?
Way to 'print' family tree?
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2014   #2
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I have peditrack and peditree. I also explored unibase which was outside my price range (www.unibase.ca).

I really use none of them and just keep track with excel.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding , excel , program , software