Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 30, 2010   #1
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Default Sainte Lucie

Our extra fridge out in the garage died recently and I had a bunch of old seeds stored out there. I started to go through them to see what I might want to keep and I came across a TGS packet of Sainte Lucie seed. The packet is almost full. I believe I only started one plant and I think I had to pull it because it got TSWV. I know I never tasted this one. Anyway, I don't recall hearing much about this variety in recent years. Just wondering if anyone here has a comment on it. I see TGS still carries it. I read their blurb this morning. Thanks for any additional thoughts.
Old July 30, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
Our extra fridge out in the garage died recently and I had a bunch of old seeds stored out there. I started to go through them to see what I might want to keep and I came across a TGS packet of Sainte Lucie seed. The packet is almost full. I believe I only started one plant and I think I had to pull it because it got TSWV. I know I never tasted this one. Anyway, I don't recall hearing much about this variety in recent years. Just wondering if anyone here has a comment on it. I see TGS still carries it. I read their blurb this morning. Thanks for any additional thoughts.
I think it's a wonderful variety and wanted to include it in my book but as I noted on the page that precedes the various individual varieties it was one of several varieties that wasn't available for photography. That probably meant that what I'd planted out wasn't true to type for the variety when I needed it most... for pictures.

Excellent taste, good production and what I remember most was that most of the fruits were nestled towards the bottom of the plant in a very concentrated manner. Remember that I grew almost ALL of my plants by sprawling at that time.

It's one of the many varieties that I got in a huge seed swap with Norbert Parreira in France in 1992.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sainte_Lucie

Above is Tania's page about it and some pictures and I see that only she and TGS are seed sources, well, there may be more but I respect the sources she lists as well as the ones she doesn't list even more.

One of the folks who lists it in the 2010 SSE YEarbook says "a treasure not widely discovered yet in America". Well it has been, I listed it in the 90's in the Yearbook, TGS sells seeds, TT did about 10 years ago, Tania does now, but I would hope that many more would grow this excellent variety in the future.

Thanks for mentioning it Shelley b'c I too had kind of forgotten about it. I think it just goes to show that there are many like Sainte Lucie that ARE available and well worth growing that need to be mentioned more often. When I go back and look at some of the earlier Yearbooks I see many varieties that should be grown more often IMO, but they just haven't been offered commercially at many many places, or actually not at all, so don't get the attention that they should.
Old July 30, 2010   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Now I feel lucky to have found it again. Thanks, Carolyn! Now that you mention the comment in your book, that sounds familiar. Maybe that's what made me order it to begin with. I guess I'll put this in the "try again" pile. Thank you!
Old March 5, 2014   #4
summerday
Tomatovillian™

Default Sainte Lucie

I have grown this wonderful tomato. The fruit is huge and as I remember had few blemishes or cat facing. I just ordered some seed from Tomato Growers to have on hand just in case they become scarce. Sweet with some acidity perfect for end of the summer BLT sandwiches.
summerday is offline   Reply With Quote