Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 28, 2011   #1
Bellatrix
Tomatovillian™

Default Recommendations on where to have soil tested?

Can anyone recommend where to have my soil tested? I vaguely remember seeing that Cornell had the best coverage for the cost, but when I went to the website it looks different and seems to be for large growers. It also only accepts soil for a short window in the spring. I always forget then and would like to have mine tested now while I am not as garden-busy. Is there any reason soil should only be tested in the spring instead? I am interested in the basic tests but also for a place that will test for contaminates.

Thank you for any help,
Bellatrix
Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatrix View Post
Can anyone recommend where to have my soil tested? I vaguely remember seeing that Cornell had the best coverage for the cost, but when I went to the website it looks different and seems to be for large growers. It also only accepts soil for a short window in the spring. I always forget then and would like to have mine tested now while I am not as garden-busy. Is there any reason soil should only be tested in the spring instead? I am interested in the basic tests but also for a place that will test for contaminates.

Thank you for any help,
Bellatrix
I suggest that you contact your own local Cooperative Extension and ask for advice. THe U of PA may well have this service, but it's another issue, and an expensive one at that, if you want contaminants assayed. I don't know which specific ones concern you but some of those tests will be very expensive.

So do let you local Coop Ext give you advice first.
Old November 29, 2011   #3
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I use Logan Labs in Ohio and heartily recommend them. I've never tested for contaminates, but they are a "full-service" lab and may well work in that area as well.

In any event, I would suggest finding a lab that uses the "base saturation test." This test determines the Cation Exchange Capacity (often abbreviated CEC or TEC) which is the soil's ability to adsorb or "hold" nutrients. This is important because a sandy soil and a heavy clay soil are vastly different and, when it comes to nutrients, "enough" or "too much" for one may not apply to the other. The CEC is then used to calculate the % base saturation of each of the major macronutrients (e.g. calcium, magnesium, etc.) and several of the important trace elements.

Not all labs use the base saturation method, but IMO, it provides the necessary data for informed decision-making.

In answer to your question regarding timing, Fall is a fine time to test--as is Spring. Some say that your Fall numbers (i.e. nutrients) will be lower post-harvest and then recover somewhat by Spring. But I haven't found this to be significant and I like the flexibility of adding some amendments in the Fall. Testing in both the Fall and Spring is even better. At $20 per test, it can get expensive if you have a lot of beds with different soils. If you have one big garden that only requires one test, it's obviously going to be more economical.

One final word. If you find a lab you like, stick with them for the sake of consistency. Soil tests are part art and part science and will vary from lab to lab--even those using the same tests and extractions.

I've attached a copy of one of my soil tests so you can see the information provided.

Good luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg logan_test.jpg (122.2 KB, 44 views)
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2011   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

41, if you think I can read that list, well, I can't.

But I can tell you I have a water rerport here that was done by the man who owned my home for only two years before I bought it and he had a womb to tomb report done that cost him a few thousand dollars and is many pages long.

And other than the obvious with water reports this one had assays for contaminants you can't believe, all b'c I'm in dairy country here and local farmers grow lots of corn and use all sorts of products.

But the report came back fine as far as potability/contaminants and probably b'c I'm up off the valley floor and my well is 80 ft deep in rock, thank heavens.

My house sits on rock as well and to site the house near the brook and waterfall they had to do a lot of dynamiting. I know the whole history of my home b'c when I bought it the wife who with her husband had this home built was still alive and shared with me some wonderful stories and pictures she gave to me. Craig L, who was here in early summer can tell you about the unit for the large front hexagon which was sent from Oregon and a huge crane set it in place here.

But I ramble when I shouldn't.
Old November 29, 2011   #5
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
The U of PA may well have this service.
You do mean Pennsylvania State University (Penn State), and not the University of Pennsylvania, right? Two completely different institutions.

http://www.aasl.psu.edu/SSFT.HTM

Old November 29, 2011   #6
DiggingDogFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Thank you for any help,
Bellatrix
Check with your local extension office or feed store, both have the Penn State soil test envelopes in this area.

Old November 29, 2011   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiggingDogFarm View Post
You do mean Pennsylvania State University (Penn State), and not the University of Pennsylvania, right? Two completely different institutions.

http://www.aasl.psu.edu/SSFT.HTM

Yes, I did mean Penn State.

Yes, I do know they're different in that if the University even has a football team it isn't as good as Penn State's team.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself with that one.
Old January 4, 2012   #8
Bellatrix
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everyone! I may hold off until spring. The warm weather let me procrastinate, but with 14F last night the ground is probably frozen solid now. Sigh.

Thanks again,
Bellatrix
Bellatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2014   #9
ErieDeare
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I may hold off until spring. The warm weather let me procrastinate, but with 14F last night the ground is probably frozen solid now. Sigh.

Thanks again,
Bellatrix
I wouldn't understand why it is frozen by now as cold as it's been there this year.
ErieDeare is offline   Reply With Quote