Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 6, 2020   #31
wykvlvr
Tomatovillian™

Lovely tomato, bookmarked the project after KarenO shared it on her Facebook. Hopefully there will be information about average days to maturity so I can plan how early to start these before setting them out...
wykvlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2020   #32
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

The problem was probably that I had Google's automatic translation from English to Czech set up. In the end, I managed to send the $ 15 - it's just project support (I don't want any seeds). I wish you a lot of success and a nice day.
Vladimir
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2020   #33
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Wow, looks like you did very well well on this kickstarter campaign -- good for you! How is Leece on shoulder cracking (when field grown)? Also, just curious, roughly what percent of the pledges typically "bear fruit?"
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2020   #34
imp
Tomatovillian™

I ~think~ I did it right, tried to do the pledge for 2x the Lecce and 1 x for the Rainbow one. Both look interesting and though, (my opinion only!!) the outside of the Rainbow is not super attractive to me, the inside more than sells it visually.

The rainbow one is sort of like Brad Gates' Pork Cop, I like the taste, but it doesn't spin me visually from the outside of the tomato; I value taste more than pretty though, so will enjoy these.
Old October 8, 2020   #35
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
The problem was probably that I had Google's automatic translation from English to Czech set up. In the end, I managed to send the $ 15 - it's just project support (I don't want any seeds). I wish you a lot of success and a nice day.
Vladimir
Wow. Very grateful.
Old October 8, 2020   #36
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Wow, looks like you did very well well on this kickstarter campaign -- good for you! How is Leece on shoulder cracking (when field grown)? Also, just curious, roughly what percent of the pledges typically "bear fruit?"
Thanks, it looks like the Kickstarter is going to work this year to get us some of the up-front funds we need to produce and package the seed, and I think it will definitely be a win-win for those who get the seed.

Lecce showed much less than average shoulder cracking in our field this summer.

I don't know what you exactly what you mean about Pledges bearing fruit. But, at the end of all kickstarter campaigns, kickstarter tries to run the credit or debit cards of the folks who pledged. Most go through on the first try, but some do not. Over the course of a week, most funds are collected from pledges.

Some pledges drop out at the last minute as well. So the number now, while a good approximation, is not final.

Then there is the issue of sending seeds. We always send seeds. They don't always get there. After a couple of tries, if they don't get there, we are forced to simply refund.
Old October 8, 2020   #37
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I ~think~ I did it right, tried to do the pledge for 2x the Lecce and 1 x for the Rainbow one. Both look interesting and though, (my opinion only!!) the outside of the Rainbow is not super attractive to me, the inside more than sells it visually.

The rainbow one is sort of like Brad Gates' Pork Cop, I like the taste, but it doesn't spin me visually from the outside of the tomato; I value taste more than pretty though, so will enjoy these.
I know what you mean, the Rainbow Jazz Heart exterior is not the most attractive feature. However, early in the season early-ripe tomatoes are covered with green stripes, and for some, that is a more attractive exterior.
Old October 12, 2020   #38
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

In an interesting side note. I was doing a Google search tonight and up popped up a new Lecce F1 from Rijder Seeds.

Which means we will have to change the name of our new red tomato with yellow stripes from "Lecce" to "Benevento"

Last edited by Fred Hempel; October 12, 2020 at 03:43 AM.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2020   #39
Master Shake
Tomatovillian™

So, to make hybrids you start with 2 stable OP varieties and once you have found the mother and father that created the hybrid, you have to keep those parental varieties alive indefinitely with cuttings?

Also, on the kickstarter website it doesn't seem to allow me to get combined postage for 2 different seeds. Seems like i have to pledge twice and pay posteg for both separate?

Last edited by Master Shake; October 12, 2020 at 09:59 AM.
Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2020   #40
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
So, to make hybrids you start with 2 stable OP varieties and once you have found the mother and father that created the hybrid, you have to keep those parental varieties alive indefinitely with cuttings?

Also, on the kickstarter website it doesn't seem to allow me to get combined postage for 2 different seeds. Seems like i have to pledge twice and pay posteg for both separate?
Yes. Typically for hybrids you have two parents. But you don't have to keep them alive indefinitely, because they are true breeding. You just have to produce, store and use parent seed. Whenever you want to produce hybrid seeds, you simply grow up the parents and make crosses, en masse.

If you want two different things that are not combined as rewards, you can just pledge the amount of both, choose one of the rewards, and tell me which other reward you want. You could do that through a message here, but it is better to submit the second reward you want when it comes time for me to gather information through kickstarter.
Old October 12, 2020   #41
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
In an interesting side note. I was doing a Google search tonight and up popped up a new Lecce F1 from Rijder Seeds.

Which means we will have to change the name of our new red tomato with yellow stripes from "Lecce" to "Benevento"
well, I still want it even if you changed the name.
Old October 12, 2020   #42
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
well, I still want it even if you changed the name.
It's the same tomato! I kind of like the name change.
Old October 14, 2020   #43
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

the name makes me no difference. I just want to try the tomato. thanks for offering it up.
Old October 16, 2020   #44
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

That sounds kind of like the brou-ha-ha back in the 1700's when the dates were changed to re-align the calendar. People insisted on changing the dates back to what they were so they could "get their missing days back". Seems they thought they were going to die a few days sooner or some such. Somebody is sure to ask you to change the name back so they can "get THEIR tomato"
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2020   #45
imp
Tomatovillian™

Having never used/done a kickstarter thing before, what happens now?