Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 3, 2017   #16
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I usually clip them off if I have a good fruit set because the tomatoes they produce though usually larger than normal are not great slicers and are just plain messy to deal with. They frequently ripen very unevenly so one or two lobes will be over ripe and another may be still green. Of course I miss a few and I also like to get an occasional monster for showing off.

Bill

Same here. Plus I've noticed that if I leave them, it tends to stall or slow the fruit set on the plant until the monster has been harvested. I'd rather have fewer more uniform smaller tomatoes than an ugly, catfaced, partially useable large one.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #17
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
I'm not convinced the cold theory is foolproof. Sure, certain conditions accentuate the problem, like humidity, but the first bloom is a megabloom on certain varieties no matter what.
I had late plants that spent their life in great temperatures and they all had it.
I am not convinced either. The article said it was possible that environmental stress
such as cool weather may contribute to fused blossoms but the main cause was genetics. I tend to believe it is genetics but I have never started a tomato plant in July so I'm not sure.

Was actually thinking about starting a couple of Cherokee Purple in 5 inch pots in late June to find out.But then I would want to plant them. If you see these fused blossoms starting in warm weather then it is probably mostly due to genetics and I agree with everyone, Cherokee Purple seems to always have them.

Last edited by seaeagle; May 3, 2017 at 01:42 PM.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #18
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

I didn't even consider cutting those off,they always produce huge tomatoes,though they're offten ugly.The cause is largely genetic,I'm growing an F1 cross from last year,one parent has extreme tendency for fused flowers,the other is S.pimpinellifolium which always has only single flowers.The F1 shows no signs of fused flowers whatsoever.Last year cross between 2 lines that have this tendency resulted in F1 that had exclusively fused flowers,it was quite a monster,and tomatoes were huge,though only the 1st flower truss made it to ripening before my mite infestation got them.
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #19
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Genetics plays a role as so does growing condition/climate:

CASE IN POINT
I have grown Silvery Fir Tree, for 3 season in PNW and every year I had cat faced fruits.
But this year , growing in NC, my 2 plant have about 20 tomatoes, none is cat faced.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post

CASE IN POINT
I have grown Silvery Fir Tree, for 3 season in PNW and every year I had cat faced fruits.
But this year , growing in NC, my 2 plant have about 20 tomatoes, none is cat faced.
The dog comes from the wolf, the wolf has few genetic problems nor do dogs that look like wolves.
Many breeds of dogs do, bad back, bad hips, ear mites due to floppy ears, cancer you name it.
The tomatoes we see come from smaller types like cherry tomatoes.
Cherry tomatoes have few problems the closer they get to the ones that evolved through time like wild cherry.
Worth.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2017   #21
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Here is a variety that produces almost exclusively single megablooms on the 1st truss.I have 4 plants of this variety and all did it.Unfortunately I lost it's lebel and now I have no idea what's it called.
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2017   #22
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post

CASE IN POINT
Indeed, for catfacing, environment plays a huge role, especially humidity, imo. But you can have catfacing on normal non-fused blooms.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017   #23
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Temperature doesn't have anything to do with it,I've had mega blooms all season long, from 40 degrees to 105 ,no difference in quantity or size.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2017   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

There are now TWO threads in about megablooms, etc.,this one ended in May

The more recent one is in another place and I suggest that you start reading on this page,for anyone interested

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...=38899&page=19

Carolyn
Old November 9, 2017   #25
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
Temperature doesn't have anything to do with it,I've had mega blooms all season long, from 40 degrees to 105 ,no difference in quantity or size.

Have to call BS on this one... what's your motive here? You are like jack and the beanstalk, with magic seeds?
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #26
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

No magic, that's just been my experience, so that is what I base my opinions on,I have no other choice, seeing is believing.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #27
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
Have to call BS on this one... what's your motive here? You are like jack and the beanstalk, with magic seeds?
A couple of people are treating the world record holder like an outlaw. He is in a group of growers who have ALL of the top largest tomatoes that have been grown, and they are a large group of many growers. I am not happy about the way this man has been treated at all, and actually think he is owed an apology by a couple of people.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #28
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

I was wrong and do apologize to all. I just found it extremely hard to believe the world record was broken, let alone a person with 50 posts here, did it. I was schooled by one of the PRO's today and am humbled by it. Please again accept my apology. Hope you grow a 10 pounder next year!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #29
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
A couple of people are treating the world record holder like an outlaw. He is in a group of growers who have ALL of the top largest tomatoes that have been grown, and they are a large group of many growers. I am not happy about the way this man has been treated at all, and actually think he is owed an apology by a couple of people.
Thank you Mark. So disrespectful. Not cool and no way to treat someone we could all learn something from and who has accomplished a world record tomato (and not by accident obviously!)
I for one appreciate anyone who shares knowledge about tomato culture and breeding here on this site as there is getting to be less and less of it in Favor of other topics it seems and fewer visits or posts by experienced tomato growers and “pros” I have admired compared to past years. This perhaps illustrates why that might be.
Respect.

KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2017   #30
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I wouldn't use the word outlaw myself, but yes,there's been some strong back and forth disagreements about the formation of megablooms, etc.

Yes, Dan does post at the Big Pumpkin site, I just linked to that at the longer site and congratulated him for his winner tomato and showed a picture of it.

With almost anything having to do with tomatoes there will be different opinions on how to do it,see saving seeds for just one,or what environmental conditions are best for this or that variety. Or which fertilizers should I use and when and how much,etc.

And there's always that helpful phrase...lets agree to disagree....,which I think should be used more often IMO.

Carolyn

Tags
fasciated blossoms , fasciation , fused blossoms , megablooms