Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old November 2, 2016   #151
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

plus they were $6.49lb
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2016   #152
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thinking that we would have heard by now if someone had successfully grown these beauties from seed, I Googled around a bit and found this Enjoya page:

http://www.enjoya.com/en/press

At the bottom of the webpage, it says that they are grafted. Me thinks that they are vegetatively produced. In their various web sites, they also talk about maturing them slowly?!?!?

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2016   #153
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I have one forming. A friend put me on to a blog where they said they were getting only yellow, not striped fruits. 2 people said it.
hey cool, take a pic once you know
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2016   #154
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
hey cool, take a pic once you know
KO
Oky dokey.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2016   #155
imp
Tomatovillian™

I am not usually all that excited about the flavor of bell peppers- I'll only eat the ripe ones as the green taste bitter to me- but the colors excite me as they are quite lovely looking. We do eat with our eyes first.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2016   #156
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Thinking that we would have heard by now if someone had successfully grown these beauties from seed, I Googled around a bit and found this Enjoya page:

http://www.enjoya.com/en/press

At the bottom of the webpage, it says that they are grafted. Me thinks that they are vegetatively produced. In their various web sites, they also talk about maturing them slowly?!?!?
The plants I started early this year are still growing. The fruit are much larger than those on bell peppers I grew from other breeding projects and they continue to enlarge. The overall plant development has been slower than those other project plants.

I've only seen a couple photos of ripe fruit from others working on the same project. Both were from a group of five that all produced yellow fruit (https://www.growingfoodsavingseeds.c...enjoya-peppers).

At this point I suspect the flames are a sort of variegation which is hidden in the rest of the plant due to the limited expression of the carotenoid pathway everywhere but the fruit. Variegation traits are often poorly heritable, so we will need to examine many more plants grown from Enjoya pepper seed. I expect the vast majority of the plants will produce either yellow or red fruit, with a very small fraction having flames.
Old November 23, 2016   #157
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Mine are just sitting around doing nothing. One started a small fruit, but it is the size of a marble after a month. What is you alls fertilizer regimen for a 3 gallon pot?
Old November 24, 2016   #158
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Mine are just sitting around doing nothing. One started a small fruit, but it is the size of a marble after a month. What is you alls fertilizer regimen for a 3 gallon pot?
Mine were in a garden with soil composed mainly of sand with a heavy dose of well rotted cow manure. Now, they've been transplanted into ~2 gal pots in the basement. I haven't added any additional fertilizer since potting them up. The fruit have grown noticeably since I moved them inside.
Old November 25, 2016   #159
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Darren..
Old November 28, 2016   #160
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Some of the larger fruit on my plants seem to have faint light-green streaks on the darker-green fruit. Is it real, or is it me deluding myself? Who knows!
Old November 28, 2016   #161
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
Some of the larger fruit on my plants seem to have faint light-green streaks on the darker-green fruit. Is it real, or is it me deluding myself? Who knows!
Photos?
Old November 28, 2016   #162
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Abbey View Post
This is good to hear! Hoping your eyes are right! How many total pepper plants do you have, and can you tell if all of the plants have possible streakers?

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2016   #163
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

I have seven plants and 5 of them have fruit developing at different sizes. The potential striping is pretty faint. I keep going back and forth between thinking it is real and thinking its just wishful thinking.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/darren...posted-public/ (The upper-right part of fruit is where I think I see fainter streaks.)

I'm definitely keeping a close watch on how the plants develop.
Old November 29, 2016   #164
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
The Fish Pepper is hot and it has striping it it. Wonder what you would get if you did try crossing it with Enjoya?
Cornell U. folks have been working on a cross between Fish hot pepper and Lipstick sweet pepper (carefully selecting out the hot ones to get sweet ones), it may be available in a few years. I went to a talk about it at last winter's Organic Seed Alliance conference, looks neat! We may get to help to do some selecting for it on our own farm next year.

(And, to get the pun out of the way, since just about everyone I tell about it makes it: no, I don't know if they're going to call it "Fishstick"...)
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2016   #165
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

"Hey, Ken, do you like fishsticks?"

"Well what are you, a gay fish?"

Too obscure? Hint: South Park

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote