Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old March 18, 2016   #1
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Default Need advice

Ok so I recently had surgery and that delayed the transplanting of my tomatoes by a couple to 3 weeks. The market starts here March 26th and although the FFD here is April 10th-15th other growers will be there selling plants. I normally wouldn't do that but the market manager thinks I should come IF my plants are ready since it is one of the biggest day for sales.

Here are my questions: Would you even bother going? If so what would be a good fertilizing regiment to get max size over those 8 days. I don't want them to get to leggy but if I could double the size of my peppers and some of my herbs that would be really good.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #2
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

Keep us updated on how your recuperation is proceeding. Wish I could assist you more in the growing area. Until I retired my background was sales, merchandising and marketing.

Just an idea, but you may want to take some of your best plants at the opening of the farmer's market and explain why you are running slightly behind because of the surgery. Most will understand and sympathize with your plight. I would offer to take orders for delivery of the plants in a week or so. Up to you whether to take a deposit for future delivery. But at the minimum you can get a name, tel. # and email address. One additional caveat, many of these potential customers plant annually. You will have obtained a data base for future years to market your products...Good Luck my friend!
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #3
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I like twillis' ideas. Get your face out there, sell your personality, you have a good one.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #4
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Another option is to sell the larger plants at regular price and sell the smaller ones for a buck or so less. Sometimes smaller plants are better because most people, my self included, get caught up with the rigors of life and forget to plant the little guys. When they eventually get around to it the plants will be perfect size. You may just convince some people who would otherwise be looking not buying to pick up some plants that wont be root bound by the time they get their rears in gear for planting.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #5
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

was gonna sell my bigger ones for at least 4 bucks maybe 5 depending on competition.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #6
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Big Van, just remember people shop with their eyes more than their mind.

The table with lots of green will pull people their way.

Your story might get some sympathy/sales, but they don't know that 100' away as they walk by your table.

Take whatever you got that is green. Put your best up front and wing your side tables with the smaller stuff.

It's early, so desperation has not set in with buyers, but in my experience, people will buy whatever size they can get their hands on when "today is the day I'm buying my plants".

Don't worry about size unless its a 10 day old seedling or something.

I have some 3 week old seedlings in 4" square pots that look awesome.

What size pots are your plants in now and what age are they from sowing?

If you are not happy with size, you still have a healthy green plant to sell, right?

So sell it and sell your selection or varieties that nobody else has. Put up a big arse sign that says "40 Heirlooms to choose from" or "We have Dwarf Tomatoes!"
Or something like that which will pull people in.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #7
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Go big and bold

Here was our display at our front table the year we added eggs:

Not saying spend $100 to sell plants, but you get the idea: get creative.

ph table.jpg
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #8
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Tomato Nerds to the max!
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote