Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old May 16, 2015   #61
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I am excited to say I worked most the day applying for a Chase small business grant.

The next step in the process is to obtain 250 votes from people who would like to see my tiny farm grow to the next level. If I am accepted, I will use the grant money to purchase the labor saving equipment required to reach a moderate scale. This will allow me to prove the organic methods I am using to restore soil health work at scale. I also should be able to apply Principle 6: The ability to integrate carefully controlled modern animal husbandry.

Once I get 250 votes (it's free to vote so please help), then my application goes to the final step, the review process.

The grant is for $100,000! That will allow me all the farm equipment I need to really get this truck farm operating in high gear! I already have the landowner that is leasing me the land in exchange for clearing and regenerating soil health on board! So this could potentially be a huge break! I could potentially jump to 20 acres and even get the greenhouse I need all in 1 year! Any of you guys that feel what I am doing is interesting or important, please help out with a vote!

Thanks in advance!

Vote here: vote

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; May 16, 2015 at 09:08 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #62
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I was your first vote just now.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #63
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I was your first vote just now.
Thanks very much Robbie!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old May 16, 2015   #64
bower
Tomatovillian™

Drat, Scott. I couldn't vote without joining facebook.
On the plus side, I see you have three votes already since Cole Robbie posted.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2015   #65
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I wish you all the luck in the world Scott.
Cant vote not a member of facebook.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #66
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I had to get a new password on facebook so I could vote for you. That's why I was 2nd and Cole was 1st.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #67
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I had to get a new password on facebook so I could vote for you. That's why I was 2nd and Cole was 1st.
wow! Thanks again!

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old May 17, 2015   #68
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

Done... best of luck Scott, I'll also share on my "Book of Face" page. More than a few of them are into this sort of thing.

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #69
MarcH.
Tomatovillian™

Tried to vote but no facebook. Best of luck though.
MarcH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #70
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old May 17, 2015   #71
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Congratulations Scott and best of luck! I don't have a Facebook account, but I will ask relatives and friends who do, to give you a vote. Again best of luck!
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2015   #72
bower
Tomatovillian™

Scott, I've also passed it on to a couple of buddies who use facebook... good luck!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015   #73
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

49 so far. Get voting, people!
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015   #74
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default number 51 here.

Vote in. Your project sounds well worth the exploration, and i wish you the best of luck in your scale-up phase.

I've been out of the statistics game for a while, but I remember enough to be happy for you--it's crucial that you have someone guiding you through the somewhat arduous task of manipulating the data to prove your hypothesis. When we design experiments our tunnel-vision can sometimes take over, and it's nice to have someone pushing you towards the "prove your conclusions" end of the spectrum; plus it allows for others to take your work WAY more seriously. There's nothing like numbers to settle an argument.

With that in mind, as I was looking at your latest plot (10 of each, treated vs non-treated), I found myself immediately thinking, is 10 enough to give you statistically significant results between the groups? I remember there is a simple test for that, just can't think of the name of it. I'm so happy that information has left my brain. Shoo, go away T-tests.

I hope the weather cooperates. Fingers crossed. No more overflowed creeks!

Cheers.

Gerardo
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2015   #75
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Vote in. Your project sounds well worth the exploration, and i wish you the best of luck in your scale-up phase.

I've been out of the statistics game for a while, but I remember enough to be happy for you--it's crucial that you have someone guiding you through the somewhat arduous task of manipulating the data to prove your hypothesis. When we design experiments our tunnel-vision can sometimes take over, and it's nice to have someone pushing you towards the "prove your conclusions" end of the spectrum; plus it allows for others to take your work WAY more seriously. There's nothing like numbers to settle an argument.

With that in mind, as I was looking at your latest plot (10 of each, treated vs non-treated), I found myself immediately thinking, is 10 enough to give you statistically significant results between the groups? I remember there is a simple test for that, just can't think of the name of it. I'm so happy that information has left my brain. Shoo, go away T-tests.

I hope the weather cooperates. Fingers crossed. No more overflowed creeks!

Cheers.

Gerardo
Well actually there will be 3 rows like that at the south Plot (total of 30 each), one or two rows of 15 each here at the house (all I have room for) and three at the new field with whatever plants I have left. The issue is weather. We got another 1/2 a foot of rain at the south plot yesterday. It is crazy the amount of rain we are getting. That field has had almost a years worth of rain in a couple weeks! Even with the no till it is still way too much. If it was plowed I couldn't even imagine the erosion that would have happened.

Luckily we only got a couple inches here at the house. I may try getting out and carefully doing some more today.

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison