Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 15, 2009   #61
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Neva you had enough injuries from one accident to cover yourself for the rest of your life! Hopefully you are done with that!

I got the call at 10 am that I have been offered light duty at work starting again tonight. I talked them into letting me take a few vacation days for the rest of this week and they said it would not look like I was refusing the offer. Because then they could have the right to fire me if I did that. At first they were almost confused by the doctor telling them I could come back so soon. I don't think he realized I had refused to have workers comp pay me for time off work and was using my accrued vacation time. By the way neva was right. my husband went to pick up my meds (pain and inflamation) and workers comp refused to pay for it we had to pay about 100 out of pocket for them.

This is what happened when a person tries to kill you while you are at work! Next time someone tries to kill me I am hoping it is not there.

OK back to the tomatoes I know Everyone is sick of me taking up space talking about this.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2009   #62
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I have a wierd question. I innoculated my Tiny Tim growing in a small pot outside with mycogrow. Now I have mushrooms growing in the pot. I don't know if it was the Myco-Grow or airborn spores. Should I remove them? Do they compete with the plant for nutrients? I has been moist and cool lately. Looking at more rain this week. Also would it be best to remove from inground garden when I see mushrooms? Almost feels wierd to take them out when I am paying money for Myco grow. What is the concensus? I don't have nor do I have money for a moisture meter.
Kat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plants 007.JPG (126.8 KB, 53 views)
Old April 15, 2009   #63
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Kat, think you got a few stray spores. I would pull the mushrooms and carry on. Plant looks good except for the bottom leaves which looked and probably tasted good to something else. Ami
Old April 15, 2009   #64
dice
Tomatovillian™

[mushroom in picture]

I would definitely pull and toss that. It looks like an amanita
pantherina, an exceptionally toxic mushroom. Not something
that you want anyone to eat by mistake.

I have not seen any odd mushroom types come up in pots that
I have inoculated with MycoGrow Soluble. Which exact
MycoGrow product did you get? (They have a few different
mixes of spores that they sell.) It should say on the label on
the bag.

Edit:

(Amanita pantherina is not something that I would expect MycoGrow
to have around, even though it grows wild in the Pacific Northwest.
It is not an edible mushroom, not medicinal, and not a mycorrhizal
species. It would be about as welcome around a commercial spore
production facility as poison ivy, and it is distinctive enough looking
that it would be hard to miss if it were mixed in with other mushrooms
that were being grown for spores.)

Last edited by dice; April 15, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2009   #65
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I had the pot with Tiny Tim sitting outside. I have not seen any other mushrooms like that in my yard but it is possible. I just bought the Myco grow 1 oz
Kat
Old April 16, 2009   #66
dice
Tomatovillian™

Here is a good picture of amanita pantherina grown in its native
habitat:
http://www.erowid.org/plants/amanita...ntherina.shtml

It is supposed to be rare east of the Rocky Mountains, but there
is a variety of it that grows in the Great Smoky Mountains.
I would not expect to find it growing wild anywhere in SE Texas,
but spores could travel in a variety of commercial products that
include wood waste, peat, etc (not mushroom compost, which
tends to include at most spores of one or a few edible species,
plus the microscopic fungi typically found in compost).

Last edited by dice; April 16, 2009 at 07:22 AM. Reason: brevity
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2009   #67
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I was looking at my garden this evening and thought I was losing my mind. I was looking at oddly placed tomato plants. I remember planting while on Tylenol 3 but did not believe I got so out of line. After a few momments it finally occured to me that they were volunteer pants. I am leaving them. I remember back to last year when I had a black krim tomato that was almost fully ripe that was horribly killed in a lawnmower accident. One looks like it was close to there. I also had some hybrid cherries near, who knows but I am hoping Black Krim! Anyone else letting volunteers live in their garden this year?
Kat
Old April 20, 2009   #68
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

If I am lucky enough to have a volunteer I will grow it to see what mystery is waiting for me. Kat, I think it is a BK----it's a good sign all is well.

see ya soon,
neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2009   #69
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

I count on volunteer yellow current tomatoes. I don't save seed on them since they reseed so readily. I had one grow up in the fence last year, much to the delight of my neighbor, who would pick a handful everyday when he got home from work.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2009   #70
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

Welcome to TV Blueaussi! Hope you enjoy us.
I have a total of 5 volunteers at this time of tomato plants. I had wierd melons last year. THe animals had beat me to them the year before. I did not recognise anything that I had planted. I guess most were hybrids. The volunteer melons even thought wierd looking and oddly spaced were very tasty! I had to guess when they were ripe.
Kat
Old April 22, 2009   #71
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I went out and was peeking at my tomato adolecents. I am definately pulling up one tomorrow it looks like it is "Crispy." It made it fine through all the bad weather but now has what I am presuming is a virus or something. No pics at this time. leaves are all rolled and twisted and it looks like it would break if I was touch it. It was my one and only Rhodes heirloom that I was looking forward to so much but hey I have to give tough love if I am wanting others to live right? Also I have a stunted Zigan. It has a brother that is much larger and looks great. I will give this stunted plant more time and decide later if I am going to pull it. These two plants are a ways apart. All other plants are looking great. They have blooms and I am hoping for fruitset anyday now. I have gone from threats to begging them. I went around and shook all the ones with full on blooms. People were jogging by and looking at me strangely.

Now as my daily rambling aside note. I went to my first concert in 22 years yesterday. It was my 21 year old daughters first concert and my 25 year old daughters first rock concert. It featured David Cook with the opener being Ryan Star (he was good as well and very nice when we met him). Better yet it was free. I am still deaf. My daughters took me as a supprise and I had an absolutely great time! We were standing up at the stage right next to the speaker. He kept telling everyone to raise both arms in the air and clap. I only had one in the air but it was great I had almost forgot how fun a girls night out could be. Will definately have to do that again soon!
Kat
Old April 23, 2009   #72
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I walked out this evening to check on my plants. What I found made me really sad. It looks like one of my neighbors has had a field day with round-up or something similar. I have plants in different locations. They all took the hit expecially ones in direct air contact with said neighbor. My chamomille that I planted several days ago was fried! everything else looks very stressed. This makes me very stressed! Even my rosemary looks iffy. What in the heck were they trying to kill? It has taken alot of work to get everything out this year with the surgery and all that I just want to scream! One thing I did note was the potato leaf plants don't look as bad as the RL ones. I am going to go out tomorrow and spray the plants with myco-grow. I am also going to give them a good watering with it as a soil drench. I might put on some music and dance around the garden in my jammies after placing fliers stating that everytime someone sprays I am going to do this. I might even allude I might start doing it in their yard! I will just say I hear voices telling me to do this if someone uses roundup or weed killers near my maters! If I am pushed hard enough I might even start singing!
Kat
Old April 23, 2009   #73
dice
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like you need a windbreak between your garden and
that neighbor's yard. Something that grows fast, is bushy, and
gets about 8-10' tall.

Then you can send him a bill for new plants every time he kills
it.
Old April 23, 2009   #74
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I have thought about sending a bill. Last year he sprayed something in his veggie garden and told his wife and child not to go out in it for 3 days!!!!!! Then he feeds it to them?
Kat
Old April 25, 2009   #75
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

Hello all. Almost all my tomato plants have pulled though the roundup thing. I am guessing glancing blow verses my front flowerbed which took a direct hit. All this ups and downs made me doubt I would get any maters. But guess what?

I have fruit set ! I could not find a dancer with one arm in the air LOL

First noted fruitset was White Queen, Danko, Tsar Kolokol, and Galina's Yellow. I think my cherokee purple has fruitset but I could not contort my body that much to verify.
Now if I can just get them to full size and taste them!
Kat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg White Queen.JPG (83.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Galina's Yellow.JPG (111.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Tsar Kolokol.JPG (82.1 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by newatthiskat; April 25, 2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling