Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 22, 2017   #1
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default molasses

We bought an enormous tote to collect water from the roof. It had contained Grandma's Molasses and had some residue which I thought would be a helpful nutrient for the garden.

Hubby rinsed out the tote and kept some of the Molasses water in a large bin which I thought would be nourishing for my container plants, including container tomatoes, asparagus (which are in temp. pots) and annuals, as well as for some new lavender and buddleah plants which I had just planted out.

The tomatoes and asparagus were lucky that they did not get their leaves watered because I managed to KILL everything else that the Molasses touched!!!!! We later used it as a weed killer on our driveway and it does a fabulous job.

What I would really like is to water my asparagus garden with molasses water, being careful not to get it on the asparagus, but hoping that it would kill the weeds yet nourish the asparagus roots. Am I dreaming in technicolour?

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

That's interesting Linda, I know applying too much of anything to plant leaves can be harmful especially in full sun but I never heard of molasses killing a plant in a highly diluted amount. Thar makes me wonder, are you sure that tote wasn't used to mix other chemicals by the previous owner?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #3
Urbanheirlooms
Tomatovillian™

I purchased a vintage galvanized watering can at an estate sale because the modern plastic ones don't do a good job distributing water. I had about seven 72 count trays of tomato seedlings that died out after using that watering can. I had to start all over. Yes, I did thoroughly rinse the can out before using it. Lesson learned.
Urbanheirlooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

It was definitely molasses RayR. I learned something new, which is that molasses is a good weed killer when you add 2-4 oz to a gallon of water. I don't know what my ratio was, but it was pretty concentrated!

Ugh Urban. Guess you should have rinsed that watering can out REALLY WELL before using it. What a heartbreak to lose all those seedlings

Linda
Old June 22, 2017   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

How long was that molasses water sitting? Just wondering if you brewed up some nasty bacteria.

I have used molasses quite a lot, at the rate of 1 tsp (roughly) per 2 liters of water, mixed with fish emulsion to get a balanced N-P-K (however undefined!). NEVER used to foliar feed however. Always on the soil, house plants peppers tomatoes they all love it.

Find it hard to imagine as a weed killer...

Last edited by bower; June 22, 2017 at 04:12 PM. Reason: tablespoon or teaspoon?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2017   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
It was definitely molasses RayR. I learned something new, which is that molasses is a good weed killer when you add 2-4 oz to a gallon of water. I don't know what my ratio was, but it was pretty concentrated!

Ugh Urban. Guess you should have rinsed that watering can out REALLY WELL before using it. What a heartbreak to lose all those seedlings

Linda
Linda,just guessing here but maybe the molasses was still concentrated enough that it formed a film on the leaves and if so,then the plant couldn't breathe correctly since plants take up water from the roots and it goes to the foliage,etc.,but plants also use transpiration,via the foliage to maintain the correct O2 level.And transpiration would be prevented and that's what killed the plants.

As I said,just a suggestion.

Carolyn
Old June 22, 2017   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Linda,just guessing here but maybe the molasses was still concentrated enough that it formed a film on the leaves and if so,then the plant couldn't breathe correctly since plants take up water from the roots and it goes to the foliage,etc.,but plants also use transpiration,via the foliage to maintain the correct O2 level.And transpiration would be prevented and that's what killed the plants.

As I said,just a suggestion.

Carolyn
Personally I have trouble with the concept of foliar feeding. If the roots are good, why not let them do what they were meant to. JMO, I'd rather keep the leaves doing what they were designed to do...
Old June 22, 2017   #8
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Inspector Carolyn nailed it! The liquid that came out was still brown and I bet it DID smother the poor plants to death

Had I thought about it, I could have made some hooch with all that molasses Bower

It's lucky that tomato plants don't respond well to wet leaves or I might have wet them too and lost my favourite variety that I'd started extra early. They seem to be doing very well with the molasses water over their roots

I don't normally foliar feed, it was more a case of being lazy and not removing the rose off my watering can!!!!

Linda
Old June 22, 2017   #9
bower
Tomatovillian™

I've heard that molasses water kills ants too! Water anthills.
Old June 22, 2017   #10
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn is right, if you use a large concentration of molasses in water and apply it to the foliage it's like pouring a thin layer of black tar on the plant. The same thing is true in the soil, you'll choke out your beneficial organisms and the roots too with too much. Tiny amounts are fine and can be beneficial, but sugars are like all other chemicals, use too much and you'll kill something.

Some people use small amounts of molasses in a foliar spray as a sticker which is OK, but the molasses itself is not feeding the plant anything. The carbon chains with any complexed or chelated minerals contained are far too large for plants to assimilate through foliage and roots. What you are really feeding is the microbes, when they break down those large carbon chains into smaller and smaller ones for nutrients then the plant will eventually get some benefits.

There are other scientifically valid arguments for using sugars on plants. Small amounts of sugars applied on foliage will attract beneficial insects. I was reading about one experiment in Brazil where the beneficial insect population increased 70% after applying sugars to crop foliage. Another study in the US showed sugar sprays increased native lady beetle populations and survival rates.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #11
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I always use Blackstrap Molasses as a sticker when spraying/foliar feeding my tomatoes Perhaps because of the level of concentration and timing of spraying, I have never had a problem. In fact, I have always felt there was some benefit to using it.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #12
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I have learned (guess how) that anything sprayed on that you can see the color of on the leaves is likely to be too doggone strong.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #13
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I think I recently learned that too Marsha

Linda
Old June 23, 2017   #14
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanheirlooms View Post
I purchased a vintage galvanized watering can at an estate sale because the modern plastic ones don't do a good job distributing water. I had about seven 72 count trays of tomato seedlings that died out after using that watering can. I had to start all over. Yes, I did thoroughly rinse the can out before using it. Lesson learned.

New is probably safer, but I share your pain about the inferior performance of the modern plastic watering cans. I have a number of them I keep at various locations outdoors for use when I want something that's essentially a two gallon bucket with a spout -- but I take off the rose -- the tip with the holes -- because they just don't work well.

HOWEVER, several years ago I bought an absurdly-expensive-for-a-plastic-can made by Fiskars and it's the one I use most. It has a long nose, a snap on rose (end with holes) that rotates for shower or stream, and I can water delicate things -- like a bed of young seedlings -- with a gentle shower that doesn't wash them out. It does not sit out in the weather, but travels around with me and resides in the garage on its own silken pillow (well, almost) -- which may be why I haven't had the problems some report with it.

Since I bought my large (2.6 gal) one, I've looked for another -- the line has been sold to Bloem, apparently, and I was apprehensive about quality, but I just bought two of the 1.6 gallon size from Home Depot and gave them several days varied use and they worked just like big brother -- gentle shower -- rose not hard to put on or remove -- did not fall off as some reviews mentioned -- easier size for my grouchy shoulder joints to lift for high watering -- now earning silken pillows of their own.

Below is a link to it at Ace Hardware. Not saying anything about them pro or con as a source, just wanted to show it and didn't want to burgle anyone's pic. Home Depot carries the smaller size. Larger size is also available via Amazon -- probably many sources. The extra handle on the larger one is removable if not wanted -- smaller size has no extra handle. The off center fill hole took me a while to get used to, but really it works great with hose or to fill in sink. I would only buy from place that has good return policy, though, and would check right away to see that the problems some have reported with having the rose fall off weren't true of purchased can -- I suspect users just didn't snap it on properly, though snapping it on correctly isn't difficult -- but there were enough remarks that I was wary when purchasing my two now beloved 1.6 gallon ones.

GREAT can in my experience. YMMV.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...uctId=11202220

Last edited by JLJ_; June 23, 2017 at 11:42 AM.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2017   #15
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'll never have that problem.

Every last drop of molasses (three jars of it) goes into my bean pots. I even pour some of the simmering bean water into the molasses jars, and swish it around, to extract it all. I'll be making BSTON BAKED BEANS in about a week.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote