Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 14, 2016   #31
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Couldn't resist the temptation and planted a little group of your purple cherry PL micro F4 labelled 11X-F4-6-1.
happy to have them to enjoy their cuteness on my desk under a lamp for now. will have to move them when I pot them up but they are keeping me company while they are babies. Thank you for the seed, I will certainly let you know how they do and return seed to you of any that show the characteristics you want.
Karen
Plant LOTS and cull heavily. I am growing some F4s now and there is a huge amount of segregation. Quite a bit more than I expected. I'm referring to segregation in growth habit, not fruit. There are many plants that have, for lack of a better word, one 'abnormally' or another. The differentiation seems the most dramatic about the time they normally start to put out blossoms.

Last edited by dfollett; December 14, 2016 at 06:16 PM.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2016   #32
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I will look for the littlest of the seedlings to grow out but I'm not fussy or critical of them regardless. I will enjoy them for whatever they become as it is a treat just to be able to grow them indoors on these dark days of winter. The pretty little things
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2016   #33
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

As young'ens, they are all cute - but so are puppies and kids. Unfortunately, not all dogs nor adults are so cute....... (Same with these)...

They are definitely PL, but on some of them it seems the leaves want to get bigger than the plant wants to be. Some of the leaves curl and twist themselves into weird shapes and positions. They often make it impossible to see into the main stem. I have a couple of the smallest of these remain a healthy looking plant and never put out a blossom. Any more, I make them show me a blossom before I move them out of the red cup into their final home. They do fine in a 5"-6" 1 1/2-2 qt. pot.

Some put out several sprays of blossoms from the knot of stems and leaves. The one I am hoping to replicate put a single main stem out the top that turned into an enormous canopy of 100s of blossoms. That became a canopy of purple fruit centered over the knot of leaves. The ones from which your seeds were saved had the canopy so well centered and balanced that it didn't need any support, even loaded with fruit.

I assume it was determinate, since it quit growing once it put out the canopy of blossoms. If I can get it to replicate, I'll call it "Canopy Purple"

Last edited by dfollett; December 14, 2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old December 14, 2016   #34
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Sounds really interesting. Do you have a pic of what to look for? Or a link to another thread re these?
Karen
Old December 14, 2016   #35
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Seems micros, being weird little abnormal plants in the first place are prone to oddities of foliage. I enjoyed growing CK's with that rolled leaf trait even though I didn't find the fruit very good unfortunately . I'm looking forward to see what yours do,
KO
Old December 14, 2016   #36
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Here are a few photos of some siblings. I had high hopes from an F2 I liked and set out 26 F3 siblings last spring. They were doing very well when I took these pictures. The first one is the plant your seeds are from. The next one shows a similar plant that I liked much better than yours at this stage. The third shows one with lots of smaller scattered blossom sprays. The last one shows one that had far more blossoms than any tiny plant I have ever seen.

Unfortunately, shortly after I took these pictures, some deer took a liking to tomatoes and decimated most of mine. I eventually put an electric fence around my main garden and salvaged a good portion of what was inside that. Sixteen of the twenty-six were outside the fence and I never picked a ripe fruit from any of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11X-F3-6-D.jpg (352.9 KB, 217 views)
File Type: jpg 11X-F3-6-A.jpg (345.3 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg 11X-F3-6-E.jpg (394.0 KB, 216 views)
File Type: jpg 11X-F3-6-C.jpg (363.4 KB, 217 views)
Old December 14, 2016   #37
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default I found one I would like to replicate

This F2 has Dwarf Sweet Sue as a grandpa and the color and taste that live up to its pedigree. It topped out at 14" and had great fruit set. Fingers crossed for the F3s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 53X-F2-2.jpg (424.5 KB, 217 views)
Old December 14, 2016   #38
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Default Another interesting F2

This one topped out at 7". It wasn't multiflora, but was so tiny I had to keep it. I had already picked a couple when I took this photo, but what shows here is all this one did. It would be fine in a 5" pot. Is there enough fruit there to justify the effort?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46X-F2-1(2).jpg (424.9 KB, 216 views)
Old December 14, 2016   #39
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for that dfollett. As i've mentioned i have culled quite a bit and have some very healthy starts from your seeds. Have not counted but at least 60+. I'll pot up at least 15-20 of each. All potato leaf. Might start a new thread to follow them. Right now they are on my 'winter garden thread/post.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2016   #40
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Nice pics. Some of them remind me of the Anmore Treasures that I grew last summer. I wish I had a field of them under low tunnels.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2016   #41
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
Thank you for that dfollett. As i've mentioned i have culled quite a bit and have some very healthy starts from your seeds. Have not counted but at least 60+. I'll pot up at least 15-20 of each. All potato leaf. Might start a new thread to follow them. Right now they are on my 'winter garden thread/post.
I'll start following that thread. I'll be interested in watching your progress. They're fun to grow - frustrating when they don't turn out like you want, but fun nonetheless.
Old December 15, 2016   #42
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Do you have any pics of the violet fruited one?
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2016   #43
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Do you have any pics of the violet fruited one?
I thought I took photos of the purple F3s, but apparently I didn't. I can't find any. Sorry. As I remember, they weren't quite as dark as the Margaret Curtains I've grown, but they did have her greenish shoulders until they were fully ripe.
Old December 16, 2016   #44
tuncse
Tomatovillian™

Default Red Robin

My Red Robin on the windowsill. We have true winter here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RedRobin1.jpg (216.8 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg RedRobin.jpg (288.5 KB, 200 views)
tuncse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2016   #45
oakley
Tomatovillian™

tuncse, pretty and very healthy. Did you keep track of its age from seed? I have 4 RedRobins just transplanted into 4" pots. 3 are just 4" tall, one is a tiny 2". Awfully slow growing.

..." Any more, I make them show me a blossom before I move them out of the red cup into their final home."

That is good advice. I've stopped culling. I have room to pot up all of them, then look for a centered cluster/blossom. Good project.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote