Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 17, 2016   #46
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson_WY View Post
Rick - haha - the cheese factory closed here a few years ago - not so much about cows anymore. There are a lot of Ranchers here now though that have switched from dairy cows to beef. Smoot, Wyoming is a wonderful place to be - as you can see from our view out our dining room window. You would have a difficult time finding seedlings of any kind in this beautiful very small community - just the way we like it!!!
Oh, my!! What a beautiful view!!

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #47
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson_WY View Post
Thanks Bill,
It appears your experience confirms Carolyn's thoughts that it is very possible Brandywine Cowlick and Brandywine Quisenberry/Sudduth may be of the same origin - just given different names?

I agree with your tricks and have been using similar techniques on my plants with success. Hope you will give us reports of comparing the four cowlicks and four Sudduths planted in the same bed this year!
I don't agree that they are the same but they have similarities just like they do with some others like Stump of the World. I have been growing them both for several years now and do not believe they are the same variety however they may be closely related.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #48
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I'm really looking forward to Sudduth and Cowlick's grown side by side.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #49
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

I'm gonna try Sudduth & OTV
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #50
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Brandywine Sudduth putting out some nice trusses as it is growing! This one has 8 blossoms/buds!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0679_1024.jpg (256.5 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0677_1024.jpg (336.5 KB, 175 views)
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20, 2016   #51
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Way to go, Hudson.
Pretty soon you will see some color break. Then comes time to slice .
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2016   #52
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Update: Brandywine Sudduth Strain may be the first variety to ripen in our Greenhouse this year! BW SS also continues to send out lots of blossoms - it's not supposed to be this prolific!?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0769_1024.jpg (300.6 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0770_1024.jpg (309.7 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0771_1024.jpg (266.8 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg thumb_IMG_0772_1024.jpg (236.4 KB, 151 views)
Old April 5, 2016   #53
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

You will find that they actually are fantastic producers in a greenhouse, IN THE NORTH. I think BW's worst enemy is disease, then heat. I grow them as one of my main market tomatoes, restaurants love them too. Probably sold a couple tons of those treats last year.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2016   #54
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
You will find that they actually are fantastic producers in a greenhouse, IN THE NORTH. I think BW's worst enemy is disease, then heat. I grow them as one of my main market tomatoes, restaurants love them too. Probably sold a couple tons of those treats last year.
And I'm not in the north, nor did I grow tomatoes to maturity in greenhouses, but I've grown many different Brandywines,now talking about the pink, and as grown by me,they have always been wonderfully productive,but always,for me,the Sudduth/Quisenberry is the best,not just in terms of production,but fruit form,lack of splitting,and yes,taste as well.

Carolyn
Old April 5, 2016   #55
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Hudson, I think I'm going to cry! Wow, those are gorgeous. Thanks to Carolyn I'm growing Dixie Wine which a brandywine X NAR otherwise, I have given up on BW. If you want seeds for Cowlicks, I do have some that I bought from Tania last year but decided not to grow. PM me. And keep those photos coming, especially of Wyoming. Beautiful!
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2016   #56
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default BW

A few BW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0587.JPG (372.4 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0588.JPG (386.6 KB, 136 views)
Old April 5, 2016   #57
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Awesome Mark!!! Thanks for posting your photos. Now there - are some Brandywine SS !! You must be 30-60 days ahead of me - when did you plant the seed? I sure hope mine perform like yours - they are very prolific for Brandywine SS! You weren't kidding when you said a couple of tons - were you? I'll be happy with that kind of production! Do you top them when they reach the height of your GH? Thanks for sharing -
Old April 6, 2016   #58
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

HAHA, those are from 2014, and are Sudduth's and Cowlick's. My plants this year are not that far along, but should be prettier.
I do not top them when they hit the top of the greenhouse, I prune up the bottoms to a stem only then coil it around the container as I lower the plant, this will keep production cranking through a long season. Last year my average vines were 15-20 feet, two vines a container, so 30-40 feet of vine per 10 gallon pot. My record for weighed BW fruit, from a single plant, was 39lbs from a BW Cowlick's plant.
I top my plants about the 10th of September or so, but that depends on my mood, how the season went, and the level of the rivers for fall kayaking.
Old April 6, 2016   #59
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Now I think I know the success in growing in GH.
I have this close relative, up in Canada. His family has a huge greenhouse operation, just growing tomatoes. I asked him what is you night low temperature setting. He said we keep uniform temperature 24 hours a day all the time.

Now looking back into my experience, I know why I am getting poor production. My night lows hardly stay over 55F even in dog days of summer. I often see a 25 degree swing between highs and lows.
Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2016   #60
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
I prune up the bottoms to a stem only then coil it around the container as I lower the plant, this will keep production cranking through a long season. Last year my average vines were 15-20 feet, two vines a container, so 30-40 feet of vine per 10 gallon pot. My record for weighed BW fruit, from a single plant, was 39lbs from a BW Cowlick's plant.
There's the difference in GH methods between a hobby and market tomatoes! You have a lot more energy than I to market them! I'm happy when I can grow a variety to it's maximum potential and then top the plant at 16' and call it good. It appears you are doing a great job - but more photos of your operation may be necessary in order to determine that - haha.

Gardeneer - I agree! Almost as important is the maximum high temp. Our GH has a min of 60 degrees and a max of 85 degrees. Even though there is a possible 25 degree swing in spring and fall - it never gets below 60 degrees or higher than 85 degrees. Our heating and venting system control the temperature automatically. Temperature control and control of wind, rain, hail, watering methods, insects, animals, rodents, birds, humidity and working environment, etc... gives GH gardeners a huge advantage! I realize - of course - that my small GH is not worthy of a comparison with your relative's huge GH operation in Canada and I am sure maintaining a constant temperature achieves the best results. But at least I can enjoy a similar outcome on a small scale! I will say that IMO - GH construction materials, placement, functions and operator skill are very important to the success of a small GH though!

Last edited by Hudson_WY; April 6, 2016 at 09:57 AM.