Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old September 10, 2010   #1
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Default adapazari squash pic

This weighed about 22 lbs. My wife is going to use it for a front porch fall decoration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adapazario squash 001.jpg (235.2 KB, 81 views)
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2010   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Wow...that's gorgeous. Wonder how it tastes. Do you know what colour the flesh is?
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2010   #3
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Absolutely gorgeous squash!

I am guilty of not growing it out this year, and I regret about that. Having said that, our summer was very bad here in PNW, and not many things with late maturity dates have made it. So it probably would not have had a chance to mature anyway...

Next year then!

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2010   #4
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

I have been growing this sssssssssssssssquash for several years after having gotten the original seeds from Bob Beer in Turkey. I have distributed the seeds widely over the country as well as Canada. This Squash will have several hundred seeds. The flesh is Orange and very sweet. I make pies from them using a Pumpkin Pie recipe minus the sugar. By the way 22 pounds is a bit on the smallish size. My largest has been 54 lbs with most being in the upper 20s-lower30s in weight.
Old December 31, 2010   #5
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

I have about a hundred seeds that I'm willing to share. All I need is an address. In late January more will be available.
Old February 28, 2013   #6
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

I see I am quite late to this board but only recently became addicted to WINTER squash
and thought I was all set for my Canada garden till I got on the Sample Seed website
and discovered one I haven't tried and, other than huge, it sounds real tasty, so I will have
that, acorn, viola Rubosa, spaghetti squash and rabocha. I am not a big fan of summer
squashes like zucchini. I wouldn't mind if every meal this summer were to be a lettuce
tomato salad, pork ribs and squash. Why change a great thing, huh?
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2013   #7
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

alpinesj
PM your address if your interested in trying the Adapazari and I'll send you some seeds.No SASE is necessary.
Old February 28, 2013   #8
Zana
Tomatovillian™

JWR,

If you still have some seeds to share, I'd love to try it. Especially now that I have actual garden space to grow it this year. Yippeeeeee!

Thanks,

Zana
Old February 28, 2013   #9
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

JWR....thanks so much for your generous offer but I just got a packet of those seeds from
the Sample Seed folks and, if I like them, will save a bunch of seed. I recommend you make
a similar offer to Zana as the fringe benefits are that she will likely come up with some great
recipes so we can put all 30 lbs. or so to a good use. I am anxious to get my first taste of
this one.
Old February 28, 2013   #10
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
JWR....thanks so much for your generous offer but I just got a packet of those seeds from
the Sample Seed folks and, if I like them, will save a bunch of seed. I recommend you make
a similar offer to Zana as the fringe benefits are that she will likely come up with some great
recipes so we can put all 30 lbs. or so to a good use. I am anxious to get my first taste of
this one.
Alpinejs,

I see your tongue is still firmly planted in your cheek! Thanks for the compliment, but I'm no longer posting recipes here.

Zana
Old February 28, 2013   #11
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Does anyone know if common spaghetti squash is open pollinated? I've got several volunteers from last thanksgivings compost and my daughter doesn't want me to pull them out. (same daughter that refused to even taste it during thanksgiving dinner as I recall)
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2013   #12
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

JWR....thanks for your generous offer, but I just got a packet of seeds from the Sample
Seed shop and if the squash proves to be a keeper, I suspect I will get a ton of seeds to
save/ I recommend that you make your great offer to Zana as the fringe benefit is likely
to be that she will posts some great recipes for this squash.

(this is weird.......my post didn't show up, so I repeated it and then it mysteriously reappears. Oh well, consider it double thanks)

Last edited by Alpinejs; February 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM.