Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 26, 2017   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Have you seen this before?

I call it tomatoes that need braces big time. It's like there are ten little tomatoes trying to grow out of the bottom of this one. All the tomatoes doing this all developed from a single separate blooms. This is one of several tomatoes I am trialing for somebody.

I have several plants of this cross with different F's growing. Two of the plants are making these what looks like buck teeth tomatoes out of the bottom of the fruit. One plant is doing it really bad, one making mainly just one or two of these protruding growths.

Never seen anything like it. This cross is supposed to be making 1 3/4" beefsteak tomatoes. The other F's of this cross are making slight ribbed to smooth fruits with no protrusions.

Plants are healthy and huge and loaded with these cute little beefsteak tomatoes.

Is there a name, and/or a reason for this to happen?

So the pic so dark. I've been trying for 3 days to get pics and they all come out so dark on my puter and I don't know how to lighten em up. Hopefully you can see all the teeth showing at bottom of tomato.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buck Teeth 001.JPG (241.9 KB, 218 views)
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #2
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Look at the Ugly Tomatoes threads. This is what is known as a bad case of tomato hemorrhoids. I too would like to know what causes it.

I think the pic looks okay. But there are many ways to edit pix on your computer. Do you have MS Office? Office Picture Manager is what I use. Very easy once you get the hang of it.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #3
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

It's teeth make it look like "Tow-Mater", from the Pixar movie "Cars". Cool!!!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #4
MissS
Tomatovillian™

A "nuclear tomato". It would be great for Halloween.
Old June 26, 2017   #5
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

I've only seen photographs of whatever this phenomenon is, but the dangly bits always remind me of cow udders.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2017   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

And I count at least 6 new plants trying to get out from the fused blossom,aka ,megabloom,that were created within the large one on top due to that fused blossom.

Carolyn
Old June 28, 2017   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Now I can't get Sister Sledge - "We Are Family" out of my head.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2017   #8
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Too funny you all. Thanks for all the chuckles!

Tormato, now you have me singing that song.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Look at the Ugly Tomatoes threads. This is what is known as a bad case of tomato hemorrhoids. I too would like to know what causes it.

I think the pic looks okay. But there are many ways to edit pix on your computer. Do you have MS Office? Office Picture Manager is what I use. Very easy once you get the hang of it.
I'll look for either of those. I still trying to find my way around this new set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
And I count at least 6 new plants trying to get out from the fused blossom,aka ,megabloom,that were created within the large one on top due to that fused blossom.

Carolyn
Carolyn... Thanks! After your post, I decided to go to Tania's and see what info I could find on this cross. Wonder if the megablooms are caused from the fact that this cross is a small cherry X a very large 2-5 lb beefsteak?

it's like the cherry size won out and the beefsteak determined to make it marks too. Sure trips my mind every time I see them. Think they still so cute. Hope they as sweet as what the parents are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Now I can't get Sister Sledge - "We Are Family" out of my head.
Tormato, now you have me singing that song. I'm going to be thinking and singing it in my head everytime I see those plants.

Kinda dumb question, but are those little new bottom parts edible and will they taste as good as the main tomato?
Old June 28, 2017   #9
MissS
Tomatovillian™

If those little babies bottoms ripen at the same time as the main fruit, they should taste pretty good just minus the seed component.
Old July 5, 2017   #10
Freya043
Tomatovillian™

This just happened to me on Anna Russian. The withered bloom stayed on the tip of the fruit long after it started growing larger, so I tried to pull it off and it didn't go too well. I thought I might have damaged the fruit, and a few days later I found this weird tip. But maybe it would grow this way even without my meddling.

Anyway, it tasted just fine.
Freya043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #11
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya043 View Post
This just happened to me on Anna Russian. The withered bloom stayed on the tip of the fruit long after it started growing larger, so I tried to pull it off and it didn't go too well. I thought I might have damaged the fruit, and a few days later I found this weird tip. But maybe it would grow this way even without my meddling.

Anyway, it tasted just fine.
Thanks! Anna Russian is a lovely tasting tomato. It probably would have grown that way anyways. I go through and always pull the dried up blossom off all my tomatoes. I do it after rain or early in the morning when the dew is still on the plants and it pulls off easier.