Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 25, 2017   #16
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Planting date has been a bit different every year. Never all eggs in one basket.
I start a tray early, as early as March, then every other week or so. I don't gain much
but insurance. I start as much as double/triple the seed starts i need.
(friends get many in a good year)

Seeds are free if you save them. Start many, select the strongest.

Some went in a month ago, then it got way too hot and dry for planting...so i waited and
finished up last weekend. I still have a few dozen that look surprisingly good. In a South
facing barn window...insurance if a critter or some bears use my garden as a boxing ring.
Trench planting they would do fine if i plant this up-coming 4th weekend. Plenty of time
even in a short growing season Northern climate.

Late plantings, because the soil is warmer and the conditions are favorable in July, most
often do just as well or better than early planting. They catch up quickly.

Once i learned years ago to cover all the bases, i've not had a bust season for tomatoes.

If other crops fail i'm accepting as most can be bought at a good nearby market...
tomatoes are never good purchased. Even farmers markets do not have so many
varieties that i grow. Or sell them over-ripe and barely last 24 hours at great expense.

Tomatoes get most of my attention.

Garlic, leeks, asparagus, peppers, not far behind being so much better fresh from the
garden.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2017   #17
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

I've had plants here in zone 4b that went in June 25th and produced just fine (but that only seems to work with those grown in rows with plastic mulch).
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2017   #18
braybright

I lost steam at a critical point this spring when I found out my yard space was going to be severely limited due to a fencing project outside my control. I got a half dozen seedlings transplanted into my raised beds last month, but now I'm worried it won't be enough.

So I am starting about a dozen early varieties from seed today! Mostly cherries, and we are 110 days out from our avg first frost. I'm hopeful
Old July 4, 2017   #19
whistech
Tomatovillian™

I haven't had much luck with Fall tomatoes in the past but I have 7 Big Beef cuttings that I'm going to transplant about the middle of August. If they don't do good this year I will give up on Fall tomatoes.