Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 24, 2017   #1
Marcsky
Tomatovillian™

Default Deer partially ate my plant. Can it still bear tomatoes?

I've been growing a Brandywine OTV tomato plant (maturation 72 days). At 40 days (no blossoms yet) a deer decided to make a meal of the plant. About half the leaves were stripped off. A third of the stems were also chewed on, not completely chewed off. The main root stem was untouched. Is it still possible for the plant to grow and bear tomatoes? If so, anything I can do to help the process?
Marcsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017   #2
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcsky View Post
The main root stem was untouched. Is it still possible for the plant to grow and bear tomatoes? If so, anything I can do to help the process?
Yes, it should be possible for it to still produce a crop of 'maters. It will just take longer.

To help it along...venison burgers.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017   #3
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I've been growing a Brandywine OTV tomato plant (maturation 72 days). At 40 days (no blossoms yet) a deer decided to make a meal of the plant. About half the leaves were stripped off. A third of the stems were also chewed on, not completely chewed off. The main root stem was untouched. Is it still possible for the plant to grow and bear tomatoes? If so, anything I can do to help the process?

Sorry to hear that. I have had that happen and the plant recovered. As long as there are enough leaves for photosynthesis to occur, I think it should be fine. Just make sure to protect against further damage.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2017   #4
Marcsky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc View Post
Yes, it should be possible for it to still produce a crop of 'maters. It will just take longer.

To help it along...venison burgers.

Over tomato sauce, I presume...
Old June 24, 2017   #5
Marcsky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
Sorry to hear that. I have had that happen and the plant recovered. As long as there are enough leaves for photosynthesis to occur, I think it should be fine. Just make sure to protect against further damage.

The stems that are partially chewed off, will they continue to grow out or should I cut them off?
Old June 24, 2017   #6
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The stems that are partially chewed off, will they continue to grow out or should I cut them off?
Not seeing the plant, I am guessing these are branches off the main stem, which is still intact. I would probably prune them off, just allowing the energy to go into the main stem. You will get more side branches anyway. I'd certainly do it if they had been greatly chewed.
Old June 24, 2017   #7
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

By the way, I've had this happen with other veggies; fortunately there has always been enough left that the plant kept on growing. I am thinking about my sugar snap peas from a few years ago; the deer grazed the tops right off, but they eventually recovered and I eventually did get a crop.
Old June 24, 2017   #8
mjc
Tomatovillian™

I've had deer trim tomatoes to 'fit'...everything sticking out of a tomato cage was eaten. And they kept coming back...every time the plants started making progress, chomp--chomp.

A little red wine, some chanterelle mushrooms and garlic all helped deal with the main culprit that year.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote