Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 2, 2020   #1
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Default Tips for wintersowing tomatoes?

Hi all,

I am back from a long hiatus and happy to be participating here again, as I mentioned in another thread I'd stopped starting from seed due to water intrusion issues in my basement where my grow lights are. Unfortunately that problem remains unresolved but I've grown tired of store-bought tomatoes and decided to try wintersowing seeds.

I've been able to wintersow almost everything else imaginable, so I figured I'd give tomato seeds a shot. Any suggestions, tips, tricks or cautions for using this method with tomatoes?

Kathy
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2020   #2
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Here's a start. I know others will chime in!
Make sure you use new, sterile, soilless medium.
Use a heat mat and tent with a dome until germination.
Mist well- don't water heavily during germination phase or you run the risk of the water flow mixing the seeds in each cell
Don't leave the dome on too long after there are the cotyledons, or it is too much humidity.
Don't fertilize until you see the first true set of leaves.
Good luck and have fun!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2020   #3
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I have wintersown tomatoes and with success. I use a container rather than cells because the cells dry out too fast outdoors. I sow the seeds as usual and moisten the medium. Cover. I place them in a spot where they will receive the morning sun. You do not want to get them too hot out in the direct sun all day. They will sprout when the conditions are right. I find it very easy to do this way.