Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old March 29, 2007   #16
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Aphids attack weak plants first. How they know which are the weakest is beyond me. And plants respond to attacks supposedly with a chemical attack of their own (assuming the plants survive) An interesting read on this subject is "The Secret Life of Plants" by Tompkins and Bird.

And some varieties of peppers are I expect more susceptible from the get go than others.

The planting of radishes as a trap crop that was suggested earlier is something that I am going to try for next time I overwinter. I heard that recently on a European forum too.

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2007   #17
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Do aphids attack weak plants, or do aphids make the plants weak?

That's the unanswered question
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2007   #18
obispo45
Tomatovillian™

Forgot the brand name of the spray I have, its not an insecticidal, rather a repellant but the active ingredient is a hot capsicum extract....if you're curious I'd be happy to locate it for you. In all honesty it works OK, not great. Thankfully I don't have any problems this year, at least yet that is. I have used DE or diatomaceous earth in the past which worked very well but IMO its not the greatest thing due to possible inhalation probs in a rather enclosed environment. Plus water rends it quickly useless
obispo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2007   #19
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Barkeater writes: >...or do aphids make the plants weak?

Well, we certainly know that is true. I think they attack plants that they are first attracted to by some chemical means. Don't really know of course, just know I don't like the darn things.

Supposedly there is a systemic that is safe for humans and deadly on the suckers. Heard about it last summer from a horticultural instructor at a prison in Florida. Not about to use it myself so promptly forgot the name.
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2007   #20
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Interesting. The original plants that were infested were new seedlings and quite vigorous and healthy. They were producing flowers which began to drop suddenly. Only after a few days did I identify the problem as being aphid infestation. The new seedlings that have been attacked were also very vigorous. My two overwintered peppers, an Aji Limon and chaconense are still indoors thriving and no aphids!! That is what makes this so puzzling.

I took Grubs advice and immersed all three infected plants in a bucket of cold water for about a minute. The plants are still outdoors and alive. Our overnight temp is about 3 or 4 degrees celsius. I've started new seedlings of the infected plants so there is no worry if the originals die, but it will interesting to see how they do if they survive.

If the immersion technique works I'll be the first to proclaim Grub as a genuis!!!!

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2007   #21
Puregoodtomatoes
Tomatovillian™

The best repellent on about everything I found is Hot Pepper Wax. It's safe and effective!!!

The immersion technique is interesting, I'll experiment with that someday!
Old April 9, 2007   #22
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

I just squish mine works really well for roses too - if you don't have many plants.
Old April 10, 2007   #23
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I don't have aphids indoors for some reason, althought I do have tons of indoor plants and hundreds of seedlings started indoors. (knock on wood...)

FOr the plants in the garden my little local ladybug crew works very well - for some reason all aphids seem to attack the dill plants, and this is where the ladybugs stay for a while and keep the pests from moving to eggplants.

I used to spray my garden with all sorts of things in the past, then stopped doing that about 3 years ago - and really didn't notice any difference as far as damage goes. I also try to stay as organic as possible, since my husband eats only organic veggies, and I found that he doesn't mind an occasional bug in his salad, as long as he doesn't know it is there... .

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2007   #24
Zana
Tomatovillian™

A couple of years back I had some problems with some plants I brought in to overwinter. I took some of my garlic chives seeds and crushed/pulverised them in a food processor, added dish soap and water and dunked the complete plant into the mixture. Left it there for about 5 minutes, took it out and gave it a thorough rinsing with water from my rain barrel. Then I let it drain off the excess liquids. And voila! End of aphids. I did sprinkle some of the crushed garlic chive seeds around the perimeter of the pots/containers. And I haven't had a repeat since.
BTW...I've got about a gallon or more of the garlic chives seeds if anybody needs some...lol.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2007   #25
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Zana and Puregood,

I've tried spraying with my own garlic hot pepper concoction and it does not seem to work. I've read that hot pepper wax is good, might give it a try as well as immersing in a solution of garlic chives. Can't seem to get rid of the little buggers and they are stressing the seedlings!!!

Alex

Bob Dylan
Old April 19, 2007   #26
honu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I've tried spraying with my own garlic hot pepper concoction and it does not seem to work.
Velikipop, I'm guessing the commercial hot pepper wax is concentrated much higher than a home-made solution would be, though I haven't tried it yet (but have ordered it). I make a solution of 1 TBS Dr. Bonner's natural peppermint or eucalyptus liquid soap to 1 quart water, and this has been effective in killing the aphids that get sprayed. However, soap solutions won't prevent re-infestation. Check for ants, and get rid of them, as they farm aphids.
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2007   #27
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Honu,

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try as well.

Alex

Bob Dylan
Old April 20, 2007   #28
honu
Tomatovillian™

Alex, just remember, do NOT spray any soap solution when the sun is hitting the plant, or it will burn the leaves.
honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2007   #29
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

You guys were right about aphids loving eggplants ...

After turning over leaves of mine last night, looks like I've got them free-loading.
Sounds like soap and water will do the trick ?

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2007   #30
bcday
Tomatovillian™

I use soapy water for aphids. Spray it on, give it a few minutes to work and then rinse it all off with clear water. Apply it either in the morning before the sun gets hot, or early in the evening so the leaves will be dry again before it gets dark.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote