Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 8, 2017   #2956
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Thanks for the good wishes. Looking better on the forecast track now but not so good for my cousins in St.Petersburg. A 10% deductible for windstorm? Wow! That means an over $20,000 dollar deductible? How can that even be? We have a $5000 deduct. And that is considered a high deductible.
We were out all day so I haven't seen the new track.

$20K deductible, I wish. Over $60K deductible plus an obscene premium. If house makes it through OK, I'm seriously considering downsizing.

I don't know how you have such a low deductible. Property values in S. FL should be more than where I live. Must be the penalty for living beachside.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #2957
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

My dear friends, please stay connected if you can. Starting tomorrow it is suppose to get worst. Please let us know that you are safe, if it is possible. We love you.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #2958
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
We were out all day so I haven't seen the new track.

$20K deductible, I wish. Over $60K deductible plus an obscene premium. If house makes it through OK, I'm seriously considering downsizing.

I don't know how you have such a low deductible. Property values in S. FL should be more than where I live. Must be the penalty for living beachside.
That's what I think it is, because I am no where near the beach.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2017   #2959
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
My dear friends, please stay connected if you can. Starting tomorrow it is suppose to get worst. Please let us know that you are safe, if it is possible. We love you.
Even if we lose power, my car charger can work, do I will try to contact you all on Sunday after it passes.
Old September 9, 2017   #2960
Merridiel
Tomatovillian™

The 11pm update is bad for me in Hernando, and it's bad for those in Tampa and St. Pete, too. I get more and more worried every time it shifts west.

When this is over, I'm laying in bed for a week and not moving. It's been so stressful.
Merridiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2017   #2961
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Default ATLANTA

The impact of the numbers coming up to Atlanta is huge. This means folks escaping Florida and Savannah. I hope they are planning on staying in surrounding towns and suburbs to find a room...or have friends with homes here. Weather-wise, the wind speeds here will be between 40 to 80 mph. That means LOTS of downed trees and power outages. The groceries we went to were already out of water, bread, etc.. , and horrible traffic. Still many days yet. Best to look at least 40 miles out of town, but even there folks are stocking up. When the power goes down from the many falling trees, it will impact a lot of north Georgia.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2017   #2962
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merridiel View Post
The 11pm update is bad for me in Hernando, and it's bad for those in Tampa and St. Pete, too. I get more and more worried every time it shifts west.

When this is over, I'm laying in bed for a week and not moving. It's been so stressful.
OMG. I hope you will be OK, I think it will be a Cat 3 when it hits land, not as bad as it could be. Renember, hurricane force winds are only from the eye wall to 70 miles out, then tropical storm force from there. Don't panic, and don't watch weather channel, just get your info from online, no fear, just facts. You will have damage, but I think you will be OK.
Old September 9, 2017   #2963
Merridiel
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
OMG. I hope you will be OK, I think it will be a Cat 3 when it hits land, not as bad as it could be. Renember, hurricane force winds are only from the eye wall to 70 miles out, then tropical storm force from there. Don't panic, and don't watch weather channel, just get your info from online, no fear, just facts. You will have damage, but I think you will be OK.
I don't have cable, so no weather channel for me. I've got a bunch of weather and meteorologist pages liked on Facebook and follow their updates.

I'm currently in the direct path of the eye. It's expected to be a cat 3 when it passes over me.

I was going to put all of my 5 gallon buckets of plants up against the fence, but my husband had a few nightmares where a tornado picked up the buckets and hurled them into the house. He was really upset. So I said if your intuition is screaming that loudly, then let's move em. We're currently in the process of bringing at least 50-60 buckets into our garage and kitchen. I dragged a chair out onto the patio. He brings buckets to me, I shake them out and inspect them for hitchhikers, then he brings them inside. I'm gonna switch to gardening in raised beds, I think. Less projectiles.

I wish I'd known to get plywood. I'm a first-time homeowner and this is my first serious hurricane, so I've learned a lot about preparedness the hard way. Our house was built in 2009 though, sturdy with concrete blocks and not in a flood zone. Google said to hold a light up to the window at an angle and if you see two lights instead of one, it's impact-resistant. We see two lights in all of our windows and our front door's sidelights, but only one light in our sliding glass door. I just wish I knew what wind they were rated for. I looked up the building codes, my area is required to have at least 110mph for the windows. I'm hoping she'll go down to a cat 2 so I don't have to test the rating the hard way.

Oh my husband's ready to move more buckets. Back to work I go.
Old September 11, 2017   #2964
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Hope this finds everyone OK.
It appears Hurricane IRMA left me her calling card.
The damage doesn't appear too bad. We have lots of fence damage. As soon as the winds die down I will get on the roof to determine if there is any damage.
I now have snap beans with all but no leaves. I hope they recover.
Larry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3503.jpg (679.0 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3507.jpg (726.3 KB, 85 views)
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017   #2965
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Larry, post picture with beans does not look too bad. The most important, you and your family are ok. Glad you are.

Old September 12, 2017   #2966
Merridiel
Tomatovillian™

Everything's okay here. Our air conditioner broke and has been repaired, our neighbor's fence broke and pieces fell into our yard, my sister lost some of her screens, and my mom has some downed trees and a leak in her shed that didn't damage anything. All three of us have power. Internet took longer to come back, but is up and running now. I took a fall, slipped in some water that got tracked inside, and hurt my foot. Nothing serious, but will be out of commission for at least a week. My husband moved my potted plants back outside for me today. I sat in a chair under a tree and pointed towards where I wanted him to put what.

It was scary, but I think the week's of worrying leading up to it was just as scary as the actual storm was. We've been under so much stress. It's gonna take us a while to come back down from it and relax again.
Old September 13, 2017   #2967
Garf
Tomatovillian™

Here in Miami, I have power, most do not. I have no damage, there are trees down everywhere. The main road out of our area has a tree across it. Parts of trees stacked everywhere. Stores are either still closed or partly stripped. Few gas stations open. We need to sue FP&L to put wires underground.

Last edited by Garf; September 13, 2017 at 09:39 PM.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2017   #2968
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Ginny texted me back. She has no power and no water.

Old September 13, 2017   #2969
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Ginny texted me back. She has no power and no water.
Thank you for posting this.
Old September 13, 2017   #2970
Garf
Tomatovillian™

I think FP&L Needs to be sued for not putting power lines under the ground. This never should have been this bad on the east coast.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote