Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 7, 2016   #2101
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

This is Cherokee Black Heart. It has about 10 small tomatoes on it and about 50 yellow blooms (not counting the green immature blooms). Yes I counted the yellow blooms... I am a counter... :-) I am curious to see how many of these will set in these good growing conditions. Will post the results in a week or two.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2016   #2102
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Nice plant Ginny.

We have had heavy Constant winds for days now - A few EB were down and some of my monster cherry plants were down too.

We ate our first few ICD last night (Yum) and have a ripe truss of SunGold.

On not so great news, I picked 6 tomatoes from Brandy Boy (Root Pouch) that had BER. Also went around and found some tomatoes with BER on 3 other plants.. Weird thing is the bottom most tomatoes were not the ones affected.

I even found BER on the Brad's Mix - one tomato in the Root Pouch and 3 tomatoes with BER in the EB. I've never had BER on a cherry before.

With this wind, I feel like I need to water again in the afternoon but don't want BER.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2016   #2103
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

What fertilizer are you using? I had some BER for the first time ever when I used tomato tone as the fert strip last spring.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old November 7, 2016   #2104
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Wasn't the spring, the first time for you using ALL new mix, the dolomite doesn't have a chance to break down; so I can understand why you might have some BER early on.

For ME:
In the EB, I used 3 C tomato Tone and 1 C plant tone.

In the Root Pouches, I used the same ratio, but added Roots Organic potting mix with additional perlite along with Pro-Mix, and the top layer of Solarized mix from the EB. I tested this out on some earlier plants. Because of the acidity of Roots Organic, I added more Dolomite to it than I would have.

I make a layer of Crab Shell on the bottom, and on later RP, added crab shell and Oyster shell (different company and much more granulated).

In the EB, I'm lax on the Dolomite b/c my mix is part used, I add Crab Shell to it, and I add additional Crab Shell when I solarize. I do add some Dolomite but the ratio is just for the NEW Pro-mix added.

Most of my tomatoes DON'T have BER; it was just 6 on that one plant but the same plant in an EB has zero BER.

----
I'm now to the point of supplementing and am using the MasterBlend formula. This is what AKMARK and RickyShaw use. They 'feed' with every watering; I just don't want to run out of food which is what I think typically happens.

It is a lot more time consuming than TTF.

Mix 3 ingredients, adjust PH, test PH, there is another step PPM which I have decided to skip.
Old November 7, 2016   #2105
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I used new mix in the earthboxes but not the swc's that i already had and all different types of containers had a few with ber. Not many though. The only common thing was the tomato tone as the fert strip. I used the calcium snack too. Anyways it was just a weird thing after never having it before.

Have you been doing the MasterBlend for a few growing seasons now? What do you think about the results?

Is Ricky Shaw the same as HTG or someone different?

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; November 7, 2016 at 06:24 PM.
Old November 7, 2016   #2106
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
I used new mix in the earthboxes but not the swc's that i already had and all different types of containers had a few with ber. Not many though. The only common thing was the tomato tone as the fert strip. I used the calcium snack too. Anyways it was just a weird thing after never having it before.

Have you been doing the MasterBlend for a few growing seasons now? What do you think about the results?

Is Ricky Shaw the same as HTG or someone different?

Ginny

That's interesting re: the TT. What did you use this season? and prior season b4 TT.

I didn't get any BER last spring and only on one EB the prior fall.

Someone different. RickyShaw is from Colorado and this was the first year he grew in Containers (vs ground/Raised Beds). He totally committed to Masterblend and did great. He had a thread in the photo forum.

I bought a few products last year - the one mix where all 3 were together (terrible) and then bought Masterblend separately and added the other 2; went through the process a little but it was too hot for fruit set by then.

Here's a recent thread I started re: the process: All the Masterblend pros answered. http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=42994
Old November 8, 2016   #2107
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

Before I used 10 10 10 as fert strip and supplemented with TTF and or TT or calcinit depending on time of season, etc.

Will check out the link.

Ginny

Old November 8, 2016   #2108
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

That thread is interesting. I understand the concept but not the details of how to make that work. Wish I did. Just not enough time with working full time and so much else going on. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your results. I couldnt find Ricky Shaws photo thread.

Ginny

Old November 8, 2016   #2109
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Ginny - Here you go....It was in the Container Forum.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=38433&page=8
Old November 8, 2016   #2110
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Barb, Ginny,- I have been using the Calcinit and MgSO4 in my EBs once per week since transplant. I have never seen so many blossoms, and with buzzing, and fantastic dry cool weather this is shaping up to be one of the best seasons ever.
I already have fruit on almost everything, and many multiples on the majority.
Barb, that thread spurred me on. Instead of the chem with the high P and higher K, I have the TT already in the box, but the Calcinit and epsom salt additions are making a crazy amount of blossoms.
Thank you so much for starting that thread.
I have to start a photo thread for my garden, but right now I am too lazy.

Edited to add that I hope I didn't just jinx it.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2016   #2111
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Oh that is an awesome thread. Marsha what chem were you using before? I am so far behind on all of this... lol. No time to keep up with life. I drove 2 hours this morning just to get to the Office in Orlando. So crazy.

Ginny

Old November 8, 2016   #2112
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Barb, Ginny,- I have been using the Calcinit and MgSO4 in my EBs once per week since transplant. I have never seen so many blossoms, and with buzzing, and fantastic dry cool weather this is shaping up to be one of the best seasons ever.
I already have fruit on almost everything, and many multiples on the majority.
Barb, that thread spurred me on. Instead of the chem with the high P and higher K, I have the TT already in the box, but the Calcinit and epsom salt additions are making a crazy amount of blossoms.
Thank you so much for starting that thread.
I have to start a photo thread for my garden, but right now I am too lazy.
Edited to add that I hope I didn't just jinx it.
Marsha,
I don't know the answer to this or I wouldn't ask the question. Is it possible to allow a tomato plant to set too many tomatoes/? In other words is it possible to set more tomatoes than it is possible to get enough nutrients into the plant to grow them to size. I am assuming the closer one gets to the correct and right amount of nutrients, water, sun, etc the plant gets the more fruit it will support. What do you think? Is one of the reasons we limit the number of stems is to limit fruit set?
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2016   #2113
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Marsha,
I don't know the answer to this or I wouldn't ask the question. Is it possible to allow a tomato plant to set too many tomatoes/? In other words is it possible to set more tomatoes than it is possible to get enough nutrients into the plant to grow them to size. I am assuming the closer one gets to the correct and right amount of nutrients, water, sun, etc the plant gets the more fruit it will support. What do you think? Is one of the reasons we limit the number of stems is to limit fruit set?
Larry
Hi Larry, there are folks who reinforce their trusses when fruit gets heavier. We have mostly found that limiting stems seems not to limit production, because the stems left keep producing as they grow. I limit stems yo keep plants from getting unruly. I am welcoming the smount of fruit developing.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2016   #2114
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Hi Larry, there are folks who reinforce their trusses when fruit gets heavier. We have mostly found that limiting stems seems not to limit production, because the stems left keep producing as they grow. I limit stems yo keep plants from getting unruly. I am welcoming the smount of fruit developing.
The variety that caused my interest is a store variety that Ginny collected seeds from. She generously gave me some seeds. She referred to it as Danny F3. I have I think 3 in 10 gallon pots. The plant is aggressive and tall and they are loaded with clusters of tomatoes. The tomatoes are grape tomato sized, maybe 1" x 1 1/2" long, but I'm guessing the tomatoes are normally much larger. Maybe mine will get larger but it appears to me that they will for the most part remain the size they are now and hopefully ripen. I generally don't significantly reduce the stems on these, hoping they won't grow super tall. I was just wondering if I topped them and reduced the plant size and the number of tomatoes set and to set, that it might cause the remaining tomatoes to get larger. Maybe I will top one of them tomorrow to just see what happens.
Thanks,
Larry

Last edited by Zone9b; November 8, 2016 at 06:37 PM.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2016   #2115
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Larry - Why not root a cutting or two from one of those plants and test with that? I find growing from cutting saves about 4-5 weeks. Seems to get fruit on a shorter plant too.

Also, I need to look up his name, but the guy from Alabama that grafts his plants and plants in the ground, and uses TTF has mentioned when commenting on TTF that at peak the # of tomatoes is large but the tomatoes are smaller. I'm not sure if he was getting at reducing the # of set fruit for larger fruit.