Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 30, 2006   #1
Dr_Redwine
Tomatovillian™

Default OK. I've just repotted to 8.5 oz Styrofoam cups....

and I have newbie questions.

I repotted yesterday and let the little fellows spend today in indirect light from a south bay window with the blinds closed thinking it would be less stressful. The blinds are those plastic kind that still cause a aggravating glare on the TV when closed to give you an idea of the light strength.

What now? I wasn't planning on these things growing this fast, so I hadn't fully thought out (or built) what I will need for 'stage two'. I had planned on moving them to a cold frame rigged with some supplemental night heat. Is this premature at this stage? Will the direct sun be too strong for seedlings that have been growing under a shop light for the last 2 weeks or should I add to my light set-up and continue them under the lights for a while?

Thanks,
DrR
Dr_Redwine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2006   #2
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Dr R, it seems your worried about sunburn, jus be reasonable an gradually over about 4-6 days let em reach full light tolerance. Partly cloudy to cloudy days are nice to work with, in bringin em along. One definate thing to do tho, if you dont already employ it, is to get a small fan an place it in proximity to the plants, so that it gently blows across em, all the time (or most of the time). This will give you a stockier plant, provided lighting needs are met. You can use any old computer PS fan, and a small plug-in transformer, to cover a fairly large area, maybe 2' x 5' long.
Good Luck an Best wishes...
Gimme3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2006   #3
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Default Re-potting & "Thigmotropism".....

Hi Dr.R......

I have a couple of points to offer for what they're worth:

I 've been growing from seed for a few years now and was told by someone I respect as being "in the know"
that all that is necessary is one re-potting after the seedling has aquired it's first or second set of "true leaves". This has, in my experience, led to stronger & stockier stems. I also grow from seedling stage to transplant stage entirely under my fluorescent light set-up. Only then do I take them outside for a few days to "harden-off" before planting in-ground. Otherwise, follow Gimme3's advice & go slow with the outside exposure.

I agree with GIMME3.... the fan DOES make for sturdier stems. The response of plants to "touch" or movement by air currents is called "thigmotropism" and was first observed when workers in greenhouses rubbed against the plants nearest the walkway and those plants grew decidedly stronger than ones farther back which were 'untouched'.

Just my 2 cents worth...
Good luck!!
LD
cottonpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2006   #4
Dr_Redwine
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks for the input....

My instincts were telling me to partially shade them for a couple of days outside or continue under the lights.
DrR
Dr_Redwine is offline   Reply With Quote