Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 7, 2006   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato "related" question

I know this is not purely a tomato question, but is certainly strongly related.

I love eating tomatoes straight out of the patch, sliced with mayonaise. My mother made the best, but she's not here to make it now. I could eat a plateful of fresh sliced tomatoes with salt, pepper, and mayonaise every day, and still want more. Does any one have a really good, simple recipe for home made mayonaise? Has anyone figured out a way just to doctor up the store bought kind?

I'm not much in the kitchen, so want to start learning a good mayonaise recipe before tomato time.

Mark, did you say your favorite big slicers are Burpee Delicious? Is the seed commonly available? I love those big tart slicers in the summer time. Salty, tartness is how I judge most tomatoes.

Thanks!

Don
Old February 7, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Don,

I don't know if you've seen it, but there is a recipe Forum nearer to the bottom of the page and if you ask there I'm sure someone will give you a recipe that might work for you.

Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2006   #3
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks C,

I posted a similar message there last night, but no replies. I thought I'd try it on the main page. M might want to delete this if he thinks it inappropriate for "General Discussion."

I see we are getting quiet a few views concerning your book. I'm assuming M did the sticky to keep it up top for a while. I hope it increases demand and sales for your book.

As always, thanks Carolyn.

Don
Old February 7, 2006   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I see we are getting quiet a few views concerning your book. I'm assuming M did the sticky to keep it up top for a while. I hope it increases demand and sales for your book.

Don, as I've said many times here and there, I didn't write the book for money, I wrote it b'c I was asked to and did it so I could share some of what I knew about heirloom tomatoes.

To date I've not received one penny of royalties and don't care if I ever do.

Carolyn
Old February 7, 2006   #5
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

I realize that Carolyn, but I would just love to see such a worthy book sell in high numbers to spread the news. Your sacrifice of time and effort on such a worthwhile project will benefit tomato growers and culture for years, and the more copies in circulation the better.

I hope to have mine by next week. What a wealth of knowledge I've found on these forums, and it's so exciting to someone like me to be in contact with the nation's foremost tomato authorities. It's a Hall of Fame here. It's sort of staggering all the information I've seen, and I have a ways to go.

Cordially,

Don
Old February 8, 2006   #6
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by don06

As always, thanks Carolyn.

Don
M made the post a "sticky" to make new members of Tomatoville aware of the existence of Carolyns' book.

M also did this w/o speaking to Carolyn first. :wink:

M can say with 100% certainty that Carolyn is very modest of her published accomplishment and downplays the accolades she receives from her admirers.

M knows that Carolyn has never once plugged her book in any discussion forum...and she's had every opportunity to.

M also knows that she never will. She's not participating to generate sales for her book.

M knows that Carolyn does what she does for a much higher purpose; to share her knowledge and educate others on something she loves.

M also made the post a sticky as his small way of saying "thank you, Carolyn."

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2006   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

M also made the post a sticky as his small way of saying "thank you, Carolyn."

Aw shucks thanks Mischka.

And thanks back to you, who was actually quite surprised to find that I was categorized as being Sticky.

Carolyn
Old February 8, 2006   #8
smallfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Default mayo

Mayo is easy to make in a cuisinart or it can be done by hand. Beat an egg, add a tsp each salt, pepper, vinegar. Slowly drizzle in 1 cup canola oil while you are beating the egg mix. I pour it as slowly as possible. The mix emulsifies and becomes mayo in a few minutes. More beating yields thicker mayo.
Old February 8, 2006   #9
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks smallfarmer

I do remember the family saying to drizzle the oil in VERY slowly. Might be a special art in getting that just right. A full spoon of pepper? Do you find this recipe to be better than any store bought? I'll try it!

Thanks again!

Don
Old February 8, 2006   #10
markferon
Tomatovillian™

don 6 yes i do grow burpees delicious an you can get several large slicers from each plant when grown correctly.
markferon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2006   #11
smallfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Default mayo

Don, yes I do fnd it better than store-bought. You can make it fresh and flavor it to your liking. Add garlic and it's aioli. Just keep the ratio of 1cup oil to each egg. I suggest canola oil but others will do. When I use olive oil it stays runny so I prefer a lighter oil without such a dominant flavor. Three cheers for tomatoes with mayo!
Old February 8, 2006   #12
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Mark,

Are the seeds commonly available, as in Wal Mart, Home Depot, etc?

Don
Old February 8, 2006   #13
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Thanks smallfarmer,

I'm glad you added that note about the canola because I would have certainly used just vegetable oil. Next thing I need is a cuiesenart! (or however it's spelled!)

Don
Old February 9, 2006   #14
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

How long will this homemade mayo last in the fridge???
Sounds good. Never thought of making it at home eh.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2006   #15
melody
Tomatovillian™

You can use lemon juice instead of vinegar...it's good too. And a regular blender works fine to make it in if you don't have a food processor. I've never used that much pepper, but it sounds great...I'm a pepper fan.
melody is offline   Reply With Quote