Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 2, 2015   #1
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Update

Well, the tomatoes have been in the ground for 2 months now and wanted to give a photo update. I have seven varieties and all are producing, with varying degrees of productivity. Here they are:

1. Crnkovic Gold - Strong, sturdy plant with large fruit. The plant isn't loaded with fruit, but the fruit are beautiful.

2. Opalka - The plant has always been limp, but is producing a good number of tomatoes. The fruit is irregularly shaped, and quite large. Can't wait to make sauces from them.

3. Brandywine Sudduths - Very, very productive with medium to large fruit. The plant has lush foliage. If the fruits taste as good as they look I'll be growing them again.

4. Neves Azorean Red - Although not particularly lush or large it looks to be quite productive with medium to large fruit.

5. Cherokee Purple - Nice looking plants that appear to have good production with lush foliage. We got a few ripe ones at a local farmers market and absolutely loved them. Looks like they will be in garden again next year. The white spots are from spraying a nearby eggplant with Surround (kaolin clay).

6. Daniel Burson - The plant is fairly small but has several small to medium fruits. It was the first tomato to bear fruit, and to ripen. Not sure about next year. The taste might be a deciding factor.

7. Grape - Very tall and productive. The only negative for me is the taste. They are like sugar cubes with very little tomato taste so they will likely not be in the garden next year. I'm open to suggestions for cherry tomatoes that have good tomato taste.

Dan
Old July 2, 2015   #2
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Default Nice pictures

Very nice pictures. I like your tomato cages as well. I have tomato cages but too but they out grow them in 2 months. The Opalka tomato is suppose to have wispy foliage. It is a great sauce tomato. Much better than San Marzano...at least here in FL. You will love Nieves Azorean Red. It's one of my favorites. Hope it is for you as well. Will start my tomatoes and peppers by August 15th.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2015   #3
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, GB. Really looking forward to making sauces from the Opalka. Yeah, for you, summer is impossible for tomatoes. But, you are tasting your ripe ones before mine go in the garden. Do you have a recommendation for cherry tomatoes that have a decent tomato taste? Not really liking the flavor of the grapes.

Dan
Old July 9, 2015   #4
yardn_gardn
Tomatovillian™

Location: Central Idaho at 3200 elev. in zone 5b, maybe 100 frost free days

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Black_Cherry
Dan, I can't seem to get that to hyperlink. But the black cherry listed there on Tatiana's tomato base is quite good. I too enjoy Opalka tomatoes. I can hardly wait to make some fresh salsa.