Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 12, 2007   #16
maryinoregon
Tomatovillian™

Default no such luck

Well, the old seeds are just not sprouting. I have planted some fresher seeds in their places. But I have printed this thread out for use next year. Thanks again for all advice.
maryinoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2007   #17
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Heres something I came across that might be of interest. Ami
http://www.rexresearch.com/agro/biochstim.htm
Old July 11, 2007   #18
Jonathan_E
Tomatovillian™

All,

I planted a lot of old seeds this year, although not as old the ones Mary planted. I used up a some packets I had from five to seven years ago, mostly from Seed Savers Exchange and Tomato Growers Supply Company. I just planted them in seedling trains in potting medium as I usually do, and in fact kept them outside because I didn't get them planted until May (I was late this year because I was traveling). I planted 10 to 12 seeds in each cell. I was surprised to find that at least one seed of every variety germinated, even if some did so rather slowly.

There were distinct differences among the varieties in terms of germination rate. Only one out of 12 seeds of Sasha’s Altai germinated, and the seedling died soon. On the other hand, more than half of the Prudens Purple germinated; ditto for Purple Calabash. Brandywine OTV did not germinate well (two out of 12, although they are doing well now), and neither did Red Brandywine. Lime Green Salad did better, as did Lillian’s Yellow Heirloom. All in all, however, I was surprised at how well they did for seeds that had been stored at room temperature for at least five years.

Best,

Jonathan
Jonathan_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2007   #19
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Interesting, Jonathan. I've found that tomatoes retain pretty good germination abilities for up to 10-11 years, even if stored with no special temp or moisture considerations. I keep my saved seed in snap top plastic or screw cap glass vials in my office - this year I had 60-90% germination on seed saved from 2006. Next year I am going to do a sizeable planting of seed I saved in 1989-91 just to see what I can get to germinate.
Old July 11, 2007   #20
Jonathan_E
Tomatovillian™

I'll be interested to hear the results, Craig.
Old July 13, 2007   #21
Jonathan_E
Tomatovillian™

Craig,

The people at Kew Gardens in the UK have germinated quite a few seeds that were 200 years old. Here's the story: http://www.kew.org/press/archive_seeds.html .

I have also read in the past that someone germinated an olive seed that was 2,000 years old, but I can't find the story again.

Best,

Jonathan
Old July 13, 2007   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I have also read in the past that someone germinated an olive seed that was 2,000 years old, but I can't find the story again.

I haven't heard about the olive seed but I have read about the date palm and the lotus in China.

But one can't really compare tomato seeds with seeds such as olive and lotus and date palm since their endosperm and coat structure is different than tomato seeds.

The ***documented*** record for waking up old seeds is 50 yo seed. That occurred when the precursor to the USDA station in Cheyenne WY moved to Ames, IA and all the stock that had been stored just in file cabinets in Cheyenne were tested for viability.

My own personal best was waking up 22 yo tomato seed. But so much depends on the conditions under which older seeds are stored.
Old August 12, 2007   #23
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default starting old seeds

maryinpnw,

A couple of years ago I posted on GW's tomato forum regarding Gibberellic Acid-3 (GA-3). Apparently some believe it can wake up old seeds. When I posted on GW I do remember Carolyn and someone else mentioning GA-3 could possibly be harmful to the seed it's used on.

As a last resort I guess you could give it a try. I realize your posts were from March so it would be for next year, obviously. I've never tried GA-3 so I do not have first-hand knowledge of how effective it is. Seedman.com sells GA-3 kits for $17.95 ($15.95 if you agree to share your results with them to post on their website). The only thing I've bought from them in the past were tobacco seeds that never germinated, but it could have been something I did wrong.

Good luck with your old seeds, Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2007   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

When I posted on GW I do remember Carolyn and someone else mentioning GA-3 could possibly be harmful to the seed it's used on.

Jeff, no it's not harmful to the tomato seeds but what you end up getting are hormone induced tall lanky stupid looking seedlings.

That's why I and others tried varying the concentration of GA with something like potassium nitrate, also known to sometimes help wake up old seed.

But adding the Knitrate made no difference and I can't suggest using GA on tomato seed b'c it did no
better than a good water soak in waking up old seeds and when the seeds were treated, those that did appear were lanky.

having tried a lot of stuff I still think that a good o'n soak with a pinch of blue stuff works best.

And it makes a difference if you have seeds with NO germination rather than trying to up the germination rate. If the latter it's just easier to double/triple sow seeds IMO.
Old August 12, 2007   #25
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn wrote: "Having tried alot of stuff, I still think a good o'n soak with a pinch of blue stuff works best."

Thanks for the clarification of how GA-3 affects seeds, Carolyn. My memory isn't as good as it used to be I guess.

When you say "a pinch of the blue stuff", are you referring to potassium nitrate?

Thanks, Jeff
Old August 12, 2007   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

When you say "a pinch of the blue stuff", are you referring to potassium nitrate?

No, I'm referring to Miracle Grow or Peters or Shultz, all of which are soluble blue preps; K nitrate is white.

Sorry I didn't clarify that.
Old August 12, 2007   #27
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reply and clarification Carolyn!
I'm not much of a chemist, just an old broken down former Cryptologist.

Jeff
Old August 12, 2007   #28
dice
Tomatovillian™

I think I'd try this with old seeds:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...zark#post57898

(Note: The Mizzou researchers probably do a good
job of storing seeds so that they stay viable, but
this would still be my method of choice if I had
doubts about the age of the seeds.)
Old August 15, 2007   #29
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

Here is how the C. Rick Tomato Genetics Research Center
treats old seeds or seeds that are difficult to geminate. They use bleach.

http://tgrc.ucdavis.edu/seed_germ.aspx

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2020   #30
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCowpea View Post
Here is how the C. Rick Tomato Genetics Research Center
treats old seeds or seeds that are difficult to geminate. They use bleach.

http://tgrc.ucdavis.edu/seed_germ.aspx