Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old May 2, 2009   #1
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Default How to choose varieties for my fall greenhouse crop?

Hi All!

I had extremely good luck 2 years ago with Pearly Pink Orange and a few other seed varieties. I never got a straight answer on how to choose varieties for the greenhouse. I'll be growing in the fall and winter, so I won't have any insect help with pollination. Is it necessary to choose from the so called greenhouse varieties, or will any variety work in a greenhouse? Obviously, I'll have certain criteria (i.e. early season, determinate, good flavor), but what exactly is it that makes certain varieties excel / accel in the greenhouse? Any help would be appreciated
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009   #2
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

For my greenhouse I stuck to determinate varieties, though I suppose if you had the room, you could grow anything. This is just my second year of growing some early tomatoes for market, but right now all these are blooming and setting - Sophie's Choice, Early Wonder, Koralik, Bursztyn, and Polfast. They stay compact even in lower light conditions and handle the heat well. Tomatoes are self-pollinating, and the way the wind blows here in the spring and shakes that greenhouse, pollination is not a problem. The tough part is keeping the place cool enough. I remember you saying you planted Pearly Pink Orange - might try that one.
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009   #3
bigbubbacain
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Goodwin!

Pearly Pink is a keeper. I think you'll like it. Glad to know all these do well for you.
bigbubbacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009   #4
dice
Tomatovillian™

[greenhouse pollenating]

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%26start%3D100