Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 2, 2007   #1
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Default Seeds worth saving ?

I have had this Silvery Fir Tree plant in the house and well the tomatoes are getting ripe but they are only a little bigger than a golf ball ! I think there supposed to be bigger than that but would it be safe to save seed from these or would it be useless?
Old January 2, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Unless the tomato cross-pollinated with another tomato variety or there was a spontaneous mutation, the seeds from your SFT, even if the fruit are irregular or smaller than you expected, will give rise to the same plant next year and you should be able to save them with no worries.

It is personal preference, but I like to ferment and then dry my seeds (instructions can be found by searching this forum for ferment seeds or seed saving) just to knock out any soilborne diseases which might be sticking to the seeds.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2007   #3
daylilydude
Tomatovillian™

Thanks feldon i'm gonna ferment them . I have been reading Carolyns book and it tells you in great detail how to ferment the seeds.
Old January 2, 2007   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

My seeds don't smell quite as ferocious as Carolyn warns they might be. But I cover with plastic wrap and poke a few holes.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2007   #5
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon27
My seeds don't smell quite as ferocious as Carolyn warns they might be.
Mine did. For a moment there I thought the baby was sick.

J