Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 9, 2017   #46
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I had broadcasted some mustard greens seeds in my garden, in November. They germinated and grew slowly. They lived many night with lows going down as low as to 23F. But then once we had lows down to 16F. They got toasted. I think 20F is what they can survive.
I think it would be better to germinate in garage. and then slowly harden them up and plant in the garden. Right now I am germinating salad greens in my cold frame.
The 15 days forecast looks goo, except for tomorrow night with low dipping down to 27F.
My chives and parsley are coming along. The most cold hardy plants are garlic. They did not budge at 16F.
I have had mustard survive lower than that but other times mid 20s will kill them. It all depends on the wind and length of time it stays really cold. This year 22 wiped out all my mustards but it was windy and the temps were below freezing right after dark and didn't get back above freezing until noon the next day with winds blowing like a gale. I had all my stuff except onions and mustard under hoops for those nights but even had some of my broccoli killed despite the tightly closed hoop. Everything that was seriously damaged was on the north side of the hoops where the wind was just sucking the heat out of the enclosure. I have had these same hoops have no damage under them with temps in the teens. The only thing under the hoops that showed no frost damage was Brussels sprouts and carrots.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #47
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

This is brilliant. I'm going to try it with dill and basil; they always get too leggy.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #48
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Thanks for the lesson, Lisa.
My impression for "cole crop" was anything that doe not mind spring/fall cool/colld weather.
Yeah, "Kohl " is cabbage in German. Coleslaw is made with cabbage.
Glad it helped you plant with the correct vegetables. Now go ahead and get your cole crops started, or is it too late in your area? You will love the results when you try it!

I'll post a pic of my broccoli starts later today. Two day soak and two days in the window and they are up and running.

Spinach and lettuce in the works. I'll post those for you too. Cauliflower and cabbage next week.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2017   #49
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Glad it helped you plant with the correct vegetables. Now go ahead and get your cole crops started, or is it too late in your area? You will love the results when you try it!

I'll post a pic of my broccoli starts later today. Two day soak and two days in the window and they are up and running.

Spinach and lettuce in the works. I'll post those for you too. Cauliflower and cabbage next week.

- Lisa
Thanks, Lisa. Please post pictures and more details, if you will.
I think it is the right time in my area. Cole crops can stay in the garden until some time in June before they bolt.
I have spinach seeds already but have to get some broccoli seeds. I have never grown it before. For cabbage I will wait for fall planting.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2017   #50
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Let The Spring Begin !

I was at Lowes and Wally yesterday. They are selling cole crops and lettuce, ALL Bonnie plants, TOO EXPENSIVE !! A six pack of lettuce for $3.50 ?!?. Never in my life. My mesclun is germinating in the cold frame.
I bought a bag of onions set, $5 per 100 sets. Good deal . That is like 3 cents per onion. And I planted them after I got home. The problem with sets is that they bolt a lot. Thats ok. In that case we enjoy them as young onion.

I also bought Broccoli seeds. I will start them in the cold frame today.
My chives and parsley are growing but thinly. So I sow more seeds in the bald spots.
Yeah, not to forget the sweet peas , carrots & Cilantro already planted.
How can I forget the garlic that I planted before Thanksgiving !. My first plants ever in my new location / garden. They are so robust.
C'mone ! Get out in the cold and plant some cole/cold crops !

Happy Gardening !
Old February 11, 2017   #51
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Started a few more Brussels sprouts in a deep hole today. I had a few more babies I started last week just before seeing this thread but they are pretty leggy. We'll see how they do. I need to hook up another grow light. Thanks for the tip!

Now keeping them away from the squirrels will be the next hurdle.
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2017   #52
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Germinating:
My salad green mix, sown in cold frame is germinating.
That is no wonder they are call cole/cool crops. Their seeds will germinate in relatively cool soil too.
it is so easy to grow them.

Happy Gardening !
Old March 8, 2019   #53
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Bumping for the newbies. This year maybe I will remember to post photos. Due to the cold weather, I am starting later than usual.
I read this thread every year and take something new away from both the original post and comments.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2019   #54
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for bumping, lisa.
I,ve had a pretty good 2018, 2019 fall crop.now i am on the SPRING board.so far i have planted

Sweat peas (now few inches tall)
Mesclun salad mix. Direct sown, geminated and growing
Carrots, direct sown, no signs yet.
Fenugreek and cillantros, direct sown as ground cover, companion. , not germinated yet
Potatoes, planted 17 days,ago,...they shoul pop up any day now.

I alreay have parsley, dill, scallions going from fall/winter planting.
I missed on broccolie. Too late to start from seed.
Today i wlll direct sow some spinach..

Next to direct sow wlll be cucurbits. But that has to wait until April arrives.

Happy Gardening !
Old March 10, 2019   #55
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

This method is the best I've ever come up with for producing seedlings of specific crops. I actually adapted this from my method of starting tomatoes where I grow bulk quantities of seedlings in seed start trays, then poke the seedlings down deep into cell trays. I got to wondering if I could do something similar with cabbage and came up with the planting in holes method.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2022   #56
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

BUMP for a great thread, thanks FP.

I read this a few years back, but haven't got to try it. It sure sounds like the way to go. Every time I buy seedlings, they are skinny with bent stems and take forever to get growing. The ones I have grown are skinny and leaned over as well.

I will use my normal 2" soil blocks but make a deep 3/4" hole to squeeze shut. Unless the 1204 plastic is really the way go for this?
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2022   #57
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I've been doing this ever since reading this post, it works great. I fill 4-pack cells with wetted mix, make a hole nearly to the bottom and sow seeds. They are usually sprouted in about 3 days and leaves above the soil mix line a couple days after. At that point, extras get snipped and holes are squeezed shut. Broccoli plants are consistently much sturdier.

Last edited by jmsieglaff; February 9, 2022 at 10:59 AM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2022   #58
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

How many inches of the brocoli stem in the photo should be buried when transplanted? The stem is about 3 nches from the base to the first leaf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brocoli 1 month old 2022.jpg (59.1 KB, 41 views)
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2022   #59
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

That is a typical plug grown brassica, too much stem. Bury all of it up to the first leaf. Don't plant two plants in the same hole. Either separate them or cut one off so only one plants grows.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2022   #60
Dark Rumor
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
That is a typical plug grown brassica, too much stem. Bury all of it up to the first leaf. Don't plant two plants in the same hole. Either separate them or cut one off so only one plants grows.
Thank you, I was going to cut one off, I was not sure how deep to bury, this thread is good timing for me.
Dark Rumor is offline   Reply With Quote