Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old January 16, 2018   #1
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Default Is there a 'dark grean leaf' gene?

I'm sure everybody has noticed that not all tomato varieties have the same leaf colour. Some are kinda light green, other 'normal' and some dark green (talking about same fertilization).
I noticed there is some special leaf type that only some black and green tomatoes have which is positively darker than normal and also has a different behaviour. One is that the classic magnesium deficiency symptoms are not the same (almost lack of interveinal yellowing, and also seem to have much much less Mg problems) and in general lacks any yellowing stage. So in case of a disease/pest it goes from green to brown with almost no yellowing in between like the rest.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Is there a known gene for this? (could be maybe a trait associated with a known gene for something else?)
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2018   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

You will find this interesting:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=33050
bower is offline   Reply With Quote