Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 20, 2017   #1
Brent M
Tomatovillian™

Default How Do I Preserve My Breeding Work & Make $$$$

Hi all!

I am a hobby plant breeder. My efforts are focused on squash, tomato, turnip greens, okra, melon, broccoli/brassicae, and pepper. In my breeding efforts I have produced a few varieties of each that I'd like to preserve and protect leading to efforts in getting paid for my years of hard work. For those who would know, what I'm asking is how would I go about it? I have two new varieties at the F6 and F7 stages and others at every generation below that. Obviously, they'll be OP, but I'm also not sure of my approach. Thoughts:

1. Preserve the OP line and cross with another OP line for a hybrid and sell hybrid seed to potential seed companies. Spoken with a couple.

2. Sell the OP line to anyone interested. They could use the line to cross or go for OP sale. Doubt many would give away all the effort.

3. Am seeking other options which is part of why I'm asking here.

The traits in a couple lines are desirable. I'm considering AAS and PVPs as well. Thanks for your time and thoughts on it.

Brent
Brent M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #2
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Plant breeding is a way to contribute to the better side of humanity, and it can make you feel good. Really hard to make money at it, however. Perhaps the best reward would be seeing your lines adopted widely and appreciated by others.

Check out http://osseeds.org/ for a community effort that has been joined by many of the best plant breeders on this board.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #3
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hi Brent,

Lots of discussion on this topic here:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=27892

I think PhilaGardener made a good point, that you're more likely to earn love than money, breeding OP's and selling the seeds.
Personally I haven't really managed to cover my annual costs by selling plants and/or produce, as I hoped to do. But I only have a really small greenhouse to work with, and not means to expand. Luckily some folks have come forward to help with the growouts, so it is more of a community effort and less of a burden on me.
Think about your market, and your production - could you earn some $$$ by selling the produce or starter plants in spring? Sounds like you have quite a variety of projects - would certainly make for an interesting market table in the fall, and then when folks have tried them they may be keen to get your named variety plants for their gardens.
As regards preserving your work, obviously this will only happen if you distribute the seeds as widely as possible. Yes you can make some money selling seeds, but with OP's people will save seeds after the first year, so you may not likely make back all your costs that way, at least for tomatoes. Not as many people will grow biennial brassicas in order to save seed, so you might do better there, or with others. Partnering with seed companies could be a great way to go, to preserve the varieties you created and also make a small return for your efforts.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #4
Brent M
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Plant breeding is a way to contribute to the better side of humanity, and it can make you feel good. Really hard to make money at it, however. Perhaps the best reward would be seeing your lines adopted widely and appreciated by others.

Check out http://osseeds.org/ for a community effort that has been joined by many of the best plant breeders on this board.
In this particular post, I'm seeking avenues leading to compensation of effort. I see where it's being done, so I hope to find that avenue. I'm patient as things are still being worked, so I'm networking. This post is part of it. I have found that successful folks are hard to get information from unless that information is part of their wealth-building plans; i.e., books, sites, etc. "Trade secrets", protecting investments, and all. Nothing wrong with capitalism! I'm feeling that I won't get traction until I can present product and that's fine, but it's worth trying to get some knowledge ahead of time.

In my research of the site osseeds, many of the community seem to be seed-selling breeders and have obviously reached the point I'm trying to get to. I know that one's ability to contribute to any cause is based on their financial status. Maybe one day I'll be at a level where I can make a bigger impact in causes that I care for, but I'm at a lower level at the moment and my giving plan is based on what I can do.

Thank you for the link.
Old April 20, 2017   #5
Brent M
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Hi Brent,

Lots of discussion on this topic here:
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=27892

I think PhilaGardener made a good point, that you're more likely to earn love than money, breeding OP's and selling the seeds.
Personally I haven't really managed to cover my annual costs by selling plants and/or produce, as I hoped to do. But I only have a really small greenhouse to work with, and not means to expand. Luckily some folks have come forward to help with the growouts, so it is more of a community effort and less of a burden on me.
Think about your market, and your production - could you earn some $$$ by selling the produce or starter plants in spring? Sounds like you have quite a variety of projects - would certainly make for an interesting market table in the fall, and then when folks have tried them they may be keen to get your named variety plants for their gardens.
As regards preserving your work, obviously this will only happen if you distribute the seeds as widely as possible. Yes you can make some money selling seeds, but with OP's people will save seeds after the first year, so you may not likely make back all your costs that way, at least for tomatoes. Not as many people will grow biennial brassicas in order to save seed, so you might do better there, or with others. Partnering with seed companies could be a great way to go, to preserve the varieties you created and also make a small return for your efforts.
I've considered selling product, but I've come to realize that the effort, and my lack of capital, is limiting as you've mentioned. I want to focus on my work of breeding and not so much on a business which would take all of my time. I have spoken with the owner of one seed company who seems interested in one of my lines and has said to get back with him once the product is finished. He wants me to bring him the product and documentation to review before entering discussions. This is where I'm leaning for the moment.