Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 17, 2012   #61
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Rockporter, I don't know if this would work, especially if you are on a second or above balacony, due to weight. Couldn't you just build up with the cinder blocks around the buckets, that would give them the support, but only if you are on a ground floor.

If you are above ground floor, maybe you could drill a hole through the back side and run a rod thru them to secure them together, to act as support to each other? You could leave room between each bucket.

_O___O___O___O___O_ line is back of bucket

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2012   #62
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Hi meadowyck, I don't know how I missed your post, sorry.

I'm not on a balcony but I am in limited space so standing them next to each other is out of the space ability.

I have to evacuate if there is a hurricane coming, having permanent setups is definitely not on my agenda. I do have one of the buckets with doubled up cinder blocks surrounding it and I haven't had the problem of it falling over. That plant has met it's maker and is no longer in the battle to keep them upright, lol.

So far I am ok with just one layer of bricks and growing determinates, my concern is the unexpected indeterminates I was given and the top heavy problem I am experiencing at the moment. One thing though, I had to cut the plants so far back that I believe my tomato season is just about over and I only got a few (like 6) tomatoes per plant.

It is too hot to set any new tomatoes, although, I see new flowers on the tops of the plants, making it hard to decide if I should just let them go and see what happens or pull them in the next couple of weeks. The height of the plants is part of the problem for me, I have vertigo which makes climbing ladders off the list of chores.

I will be planting some tomato seeds about mid July, those should all be determinate like I would like them to be. I will also be starting some seeds that Craig sent me for the Dwarf Tomato Project and am hoping for a good outcome. I have three plants he sent me recently and they are doing fantastic.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2012   #63
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

rockporter, you sound like me, limited space and therefore the dwarf program sounds like it might answer these issues for us. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your dwarfs.

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old June 25, 2012   #64
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

You could build something like this. You could adapt the size for one single bucket or adapt to two buckets,

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=23276
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2012   #65
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Marc, I saw that post of yours and I like what you did but I am in a very windy area and I cannot sink anything into the ground to anchor things. The smallest but the most ability to keep things upright is what I have to do. My question originally was for answering the questions by someone else because she wasn't sure what or how to anchor her buckets. This design you have just might be the ticket for her.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old June 27, 2012   #66
Muslickz
Tomatovillian™

Hey everyone!

Ok, I'm new here so no one jump on me for this.. But I personally have a few tom's in 5gal buckets that I support by using the string method. One could easily build a small support structure (embedded in the ground or not) to hang strings from and support that way?

Here's an album with images of what I'm talking about.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11373...47191473183857

-Mike
Muslickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2012   #67
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslickz View Post
Hey everyone!

Ok, I'm new here so no one jump on me for this.. But I personally have a few tom's in 5gal buckets that I support by using the string method. One could easily build a small support structure (embedded in the ground or not) to hang strings from and support that way?

-Mike

Why would we jump on you Muslickz?

We want to know the ideas people come up with and your idea sounds like a great one. Don't be afraid of putting it all out there and welcome to TV.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old July 1, 2012   #68
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Ponyman,

I can't believe your set up. Awesome! Please keep posting and let us know how your system is working. Love it.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2012   #69
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Mike, that's great! I keep forgetting to keep it simple, and that's a wonderful way to do just that.

And welcome to the forum. We don't jump on people here. Sorry you had a bad experience elsewhere. We may kid on occasion, but we let you settle in first!

Tell us more about your garden......

jane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslickz View Post
Hey everyone!

-Mike
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2012   #70
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Yes, never be afraid to throw something out there, you never know who just might be in need of a solution and didn't want to ask.

I too think that is a good idea. Very handy.

-Theodore Roosevelt
Old July 2, 2012   #71
Muslickz
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys/gals..

I'm kinda used to Hardware/Software forums not so much gardening.. lol. It can be ruthless on those forums, they tear ya up a bit

Thanks all for such a warm welcome, I can tell I'm really gonna love it here.

I'll post updates on how things are going.

-Mike
Muslickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2012   #72
brengolio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyMan View Post
Here's the way I have mine set up. Not too hard to build. I wanted mine portable!

Steve
that is really neat
brengolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2013   #73
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyMan View Post
Coming right along fine!

Steve

Bumping this post up because I love your set up.

I've been waiting for more posts from you to see how your garden pots worked out.

Have you got plans to use your bucket set up again this year? How was the rest of your growing season last year?
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote