Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 6, 2009   #16
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Ray, read a study on black plastic mulch and basically what they said is pathogens in the soil, especially fusarium I believe will proliferate and become more active when the soil temperature is raised due to the heating effect of the mulch. Preventative measures I was alluding to was using Actinovate as a soil drench. Ami
Old March 6, 2009   #17
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Ami,

Got it!

I believe my real concern is not the issue of bringing the tomatoes a "June warmth in March" experience, but when it hits August and we get 95 degree temps, then I do get concerned about nasties growing in the 'Tainers. I will be using the Actinovate liberally this season, and also use bark fines to cover over the black plastic mulch to reflect the sun's energy.

Now, the challenge is to figure out a "reverse-heater" unit to REMOVE heat from the water reservoir in July onward and chill the water to keep it then at 78 degrees, or so. Any ideas???

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2009   #18
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Ray, you won't have any problem. As much water as the plants will be taking up the water won't have time to heat up. Just cover the tainers with a light reflecting material. Ami
Old March 6, 2009   #19
Penny
Tomatovillian™

Great ideas everyone.
Penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2009   #20
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I've just purchased a few of the Model HT10 heaters which are rated at up to 50 Watts. In looking at the thermal requirements of the 5 or 6 gallons of water in the 'Tainer, this size is adequate to maintain the water at 78 degrees. It is also cheaper at $11.50 per unit.

Ray
Old March 6, 2009   #21
rellis
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ray,

You might not remember but last June you and I exchange some emails about using Earthbox’s AWS in some SWC I made. Thanks again for the time you took to answer my questions.

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw this series of posts. At the end of the growing season last year I started pondering ways to speed up 2009 set out for some tomato plants. I consider using an aquarium heater in some of my SWC this year. Seeing your posts has now convinced me that I'm not crazy. It also has convinced me that I’m not that original! I hope you'll continue to post updates because I'm really interested in knowing your results.

On a related subject, I have also been contemplating the use of an aquarium aeration stone in some containers to see if increased oxygen in the water would promote increased plant health and productivity. Have you ever considered doing something similar?

The increase in oxygenated water might be beneficial to the plant's roots. Maybe the aeration might increase the effectiveness of the Actinovate you plan to use. And it might provide some assistance with evaporating any remaining traces of Chlorine and Chloramine.

Thank you for sharing all your experiences with your Earthtainers. I look forward to reading your future posts.

Rellis
rellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2009   #22
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hey Rellis,

The "innovation" with the EarthTainer mods has been a collaborative work of a bunch of folks here on Tomatoville, and one other Forum. The "jump-start" of a month or so with the heaters is a more significant event that should have been obvious to me a year ago - - but it took another Forum member to "nuggetize" down the idea into something pratical like the aquarium water heater.

This same member has also suggested an Ozone pump and a "stone" (which I am not familiar with - - guess I need to spend some time at my local pet shop), as an idea that might accelerate tomato production. I would encourage someone to run some trials on this concept as with 30 EarthTainers to tend now, I've got my hands full with all this Tomato-tone old and new, Actinovate, Actino-Iron, and a bunch more "A/B" comparisons this season.

Ray
Old March 7, 2009   #23
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Ray when I had my 120 gallon fish tank I always ordered online from pet warehouse usually 40-50% off pet store prices on equipment:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/shop.cfm?c=3578

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Hey Rellis,

The "innovation" with the EarthTainer mods has been a collaborative work of a bunch of folks here on Tomatoville, and one other Forum. The "jump-start" of a month or so with the heaters is a more significant event that should have been obvious to me a year ago - - but it took another Forum member to "nuggetize" down the idea into something pratical like the aquarium water heater.

This same member has also suggested an Ozone pump and a "stone" (which I am not familiar with - - guess I need to spend some time at my local pet shop), as an idea that might accelerate tomato production. I would encourage someone to run some trials on this concept as with 30 EarthTainers to tend now, I've got my hands full with all this Tomato-tone old and new, Actinovate, Actino-Iron, and a bunch more "A/B" comparisons this season.

Ray
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2009   #24
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Craig,

Thanks for the link. Some interesting aids there.

Last night I ordered an Ozone Generator for aquatic applications. Should be here in a week. Now, just need to figure out a manifold tubing distribution system to send the Ozone to the 16 tomato EarthTainers, and how long per day to run it. (Yes, when I was a kid I went crazy with my Erector Set).

I am going to experiment with everything possible this season to try to keep the 'Tainer water reservoir as pristine as possible.

Need to check-in with Ami and dice to see what potential impact the Ozone will have on the bio's like Actinovate. Goal is to kill the nasties, but not harm the good guys (or I will at least have to reapply the Actinovate more frequently). Small price to pay for a "clean house".

Ray
Old April 3, 2009   #25
outsiders71
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Craig,

Thanks for the link. Some interesting aids there.

Last night I ordered an Ozone Generator for aquatic applications. Should be here in a week. Now, just need to figure out a manifold tubing distribution system to send the Ozone to the 16 tomato EarthTainers, and how long per day to run it. (Yes, when I was a kid I went crazy with my Erector Set).

I am going to experiment with everything possible this season to try to keep the 'Tainer water reservoir as pristine as possible.

Need to check-in with Ami and dice to see what potential impact the Ozone will have on the bio's like Actinovate. Goal is to kill the nasties, but not harm the good guys (or I will at least have to reapply the Actinovate more frequently). Small price to pay for a "clean house".

Ray
Ray:

To keep your containers from over-heating have you thought of using Reflectix on the outside of your containers? I'm going to try them on my grow bags:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...025&lpage=none

As for keeping your water clean...there really aren't any selective killers out there. Whatever you treat your container with is going to kill some good guys too. Hydroponic growers often treat their setups with hydrogen peroxide to keep the baddies down.
outsiders71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2009   #26
GardenJedi
Tomatovillian™

What's next? .. a carbon dioxide pump to pump CO2 into the EarthTainer?
GardenJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010   #27
fatboy
Tomatovillian™

How has this work out?
fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2010   #28
Timmah!
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenJedi View Post
What's next? .. a carbon dioxide pump to pump CO2 into the EarthTainer?
When I was really into brewing beer in 5 gal buckets, the plants I was growing in the same room under a HPS really responded to the increased concentration of CO2. When I was finished brewing beer, I continued the CO2 production by inncoulating a bucket of sugar water with yeast: 3 buckets in 2 or 3 day rotation. Given adequate light & nutrients, the plants REALLY respond. Normal atmospheric concentration is about 300 ppm. Plants can utilze up to 5X this concentration (depending on species) with a 33%+ growth rate increase.
Timmah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010   #29
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Commercial greenhouse growers use CO2 generators for their greenhouses. Aquariam hobbyists have CO2 injectors that inject CO2 into the water to fertilize the plants and increase growth.

Ray never did get back with us as to the results of the root zone heating and ozone generator experiment. What say you Ray! Ami
Old May 5, 2010   #30
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Commercial greenhouse growers use CO2 generators for their greenhouses. Aquariam hobbyists have CO2 injectors that inject CO2 into the water to fertilize the plants and increase growth.

Ray never did get back with us as to the results of the root zone heating and ozone generator experiment. What say you Ray! Ami
Hey Ami,

The aquarium heaters worked well for me last Season, in that I had tomato seedlings that ultimately gave me ripe tomatoes on May 27. This Season, I did not use them and my plants are about 3 weeks behind last years plants. Next Season, I intent to use them again.

Regarding the Ozone Generator, it is still sitting in the cabinet, as other priorities came about last year. I *may* try to run periodic ozone injections in a few 'Tainers this Season, but my immediate project is to figure out how to adapt my icemaker Chloramine filter into my 1/2 inch irrigation plumbing.

Raybo