Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 24, 2013   #16
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Wow! That is an outstanding price. Out here it runs $30 for the same size bag:

http://www.lowes.com/Search=promix?s...rue&Ntt=promix

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2013   #17
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kforbs126 View Post
Anyone ever try the Kellogg's potting mix from lowe's for containers? It's cheaper than MG.

I use the Kellogg's organic potting mix from either HD or Lowes, since it is cheaper than most others but the quality/ingredients are better than the really cheap stuff (I have 200+ 15gal containers to fill) and I amend it with a little compost, some bark fines, and worm castings. It's not too bad. If I'm planting an earthtainer or earthbox, I use better stuff, usually EB Stone Edna's Best potting mix that you can get at Armstrong Nurseries or Walter Andersons in our area. I do reuse the potting soil from one year to the next for the regular pots, adding in some new mix with the old and new amendments.

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2013   #18
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Anybody ever use Hampton estate professional potting mix out of long island ny? Discovered today using a left over bag in the yard shed my sister bought somewhere for her flowers..Great stuff! You know what I'm going to do next time i shop for potting mix at that home depot? I 'll tell you, after comparing this stuff i found in the shed.. to that vigorous cheap bark stone garbage that looked like processed wood mulch for 5 dollars a 16 qt bag.. grrrrr.. I'm going to rip open a bag and check before buying.. That is what you got to do today to get what you want.

Last edited by nnjjohn; March 25, 2013 at 02:56 PM.
nnjjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2013   #19
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
For containers you want to make sure you get potting mix, not potting soil. I've never tried the Harvest, so can't offer an opinion there. I went with a recommendation made on this site and used the large sized bags of Miracle Grow Potting Mix with some bagged composted manure mixed in, and had great results in my five gallon grow bags.
I second this . use potting mix
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2013   #20
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

You don't want compost in a plastic container, it will be too heavy and will not get the air into the plants. I third it, use potting mix, perlite or vermiculite and even some peat if the mix doesn't have enough in it. Also add Dolomite lime to the mix, for 5 gallon buckets use 2 cups mixed into the mix before you plant. This will break down and help the acidity of the peat.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2013   #21
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

NN...be careful with some advice here. I know all mean well....Never put rock, glass, gravel and the like at the bottom. All that does is raise the level of the muck on the bottom... higher. Have you ever noticed when dumping mix at the end of the season how the bottom 3-5 inches is muck? The bottom few inches of muck is a result of gravity and no "tension" to pull the water down and out. This is why wicks work. (see "garden web" forum") in regard to containers and drainability of soils in pots. Soils drain based on the smallest particles in the mix. Adding perlite or such to a bad (fine particles) mix does no good. ie: how many bb's would it take to make a cup of pudding drain??? You get the idea. A well-draining mix is paramount! goodluck
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote