Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 7, 2012   #91
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,
Are the additive recommendations coming out in your latest revision the same as in 3.5?
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2012   #92
jlwalke12
Tomatovillian™

I have heard that planting Basil and other herbs right next to tomatoes can improve the flavor. Im not sure how it works though.
jlwalke12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2012   #93
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalstonsc View Post
Raybo,
Are the additive recommendations coming out in your latest revision the same as in 3.5?

Yes, they are as documented in the current Guide. All I am going to add in Rev 3.6 are some more detailed clean-out, Combo Mix preparation, and other clarifications like do NOT cut out the landscape fabric directly over the wicking basket.

You would be surprised at the number of emails I receive on this apparent confusion, as people don't seem to grasp that the landscape fabric is water permeable, and there is no need to cut a circular opening over the wicking basket. In fact, that would defeat the entire purpose of having the landscape fabric there in the first place in keeping the roots out of the wicking basket.

As mentioned above, I am trialing a number of new additives suggested to me by folks in the "cash crop" business, as they may have beneficial impact on tomato plants as well. But I always want to run them myself for the Season first before I add any of them to the recommended list in the Guide.

I know others (Naysen) are experimenting with other new additives like House and Garden Amino Elements, so collectively, we can all pool our experiences - good and bad to learn from everyone's trials.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2012   #94
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Raybo, thanks very much.
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2012   #95
Pandorae
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

Your newest trial of Grower's Secret Pro sounds interesting. I found this on their FAQ page:

http://www.growerssecret.com/faq/growers-secret-pro/
Will Grower’s Secret Pro damage or burn my crops?
Grower’s Secret Pro is extremely powerful and should be used only at the dilution levels recommended. Too much GS Pro can blow-up plants, though they do bounce back.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...hinese-farming
This was not caused by Grower's Secret but is this the "blow-up" they are referring to?

I am going to try the product also but at the lowest rate

Pandorae
Pandorae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2012   #96
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Pandorae,

By "blow up" I don't take that in the literal sense - - just an advisory that you don't want too over-dose the plants with their product. I instead read into that comment that an over-dose will stress the plant, but it will return to "normal" over time (think: Viagara).

One drop per gallon of water is the recommended rate, so the one ounce bottle should last a long time. I have verbal reports that you can "almost watch the plants grow" after applying it. We shall see.

You can get it on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Growers-Secret...1402768&sr=8-1

$32.00 with free shipping. I am sure your local Hydroponics Shops also carry it.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2012   #97
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

Ray, I am planning on growing in containers for the first time this year. I am curious as to what your final results are with flavor as the main consideration. Have you closed the flavor gap between container and in-ground?

kj
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote