Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 12, 2020   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default The Muddy Bucket Farm Way

I grow a lot of plants with old and very old seeds. This morning I had one finally come up. The seeds were from 2006 and came to me from North Carolina. I received them in 2016. It took 21 days to germinate. For most people, they only use fresh seeds and may not have the patience to wait, but I deal in trying to keep some seed groups from going extinct and at my age, I have a lot of patience. I planted seeds for 81 varieties and now have 76 up. More than half of them were seeds at least 7 years old.

Most folks who do not use a heat pad may have to wait a while for germination. But, isn't the object to get a plant or plants for your garden or container. Don't waste your time and precious seeds by quitting on them too soon. Plant another cell if it makes you feel good, but don't abandon the first one. Set it aside somewhere and keep it watered. It might just surprise you.

Re-introducing Sneezy F2 from the Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project (Pic #1). Hopefully, we'll get a good harvest of seeds and can then go looking for Non-dwarfs that until recently were simply thrown away. But we're trying to find and preserve some of them.

SneezyF206-12.jpg

Pictures (#2,#3) are of one of those "Non-Dwarf" types that I have now given a working name of "Blushing Beast". It comes from the "Beastly" Dwarf Family and does have a bit of a blushing pink area on the blossom end (Picture #3)

BlushingBeast2.jpg

BlushingBeast3.jpg

And, finally, many of you will know what variety this is. But some of the new to gardening folks may not. This variety doesn't get much attention from the press.

Stick.jpg
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote