Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 30, 2007   #16
jdwhitaker
Tomatovillian™

I'm jealous. My plants will go into the ground this weekend. Good thing I didn't plant early as we had a little hailstorm this morning.
jdwhitaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2007   #17
Bryan24
Tomatovillian™

I'm crossing my fingers, toes and everything else, it may hail tonight. I have baby Brandywines! This is SO not fair!!!

OK, enough whining. I was happy to have flowers on all my tomato plants so far, but I think it's been a little humid for fruit set.

Feldon, I've got the same thing on my plants, but they all seem to be growing fine. Just a little wider instead of straight up. Some are starting to look like little kids pretending to be trees (standing with arms up in a "Y").

laurel-tx
Bryan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2007   #18
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

What a difference a day makes... yesterday I had ten on the Sugary plant, today it's two dozen. I also have five Silvery Fir Tree babies, a Creole, and an Arkansas Traveler. Now let's hope these storms today don't beat everything to death.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2007   #19
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

One of my 2 fruitset on OTV is a double-fruit. Could be one seriously sized tomato. Got some on Kimberly in case I failed to mention. Still waiting for that cluster of 9 flowers on my CP to give me at least a few.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2007   #20
duajones
Tomatovillian™

azoychka has joined in now. Feldon, radar looks like some possible severe weather in your area, hope all goes well
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2007   #21
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Nothing possible about it.

It's been raining since 6am. But it's been mostly gentle rain. No torrential soil-splashin' fungus-spreadin' downpours. Of course I watered everything really well yesterday.
Old March 31, 2007   #22
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Argh. Most of my back yard and about a quarter of my garden is under ankle-deep water. We had a lot of heavy rain. It's tapering off now and my plants look pretty battered. I'm sure they'll bounce back, though.
Old March 31, 2007   #23
Bryan24
Tomatovillian™

At two this morning, it looked like the storm would be traveling straight down I-10. But I think most of the energy poured out west of San Antonio. We didn't get any hail here, either (who knew crossing toes would work).

laurel-tx
Bryan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2007   #24
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

FlipTX,

Gotta get you some raised beds and maybe dig up the yard and put drainage tubes. I know -- $$.
Old March 31, 2007   #25
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Yeah my whole yard needs work. Bleh. The parts that aren't under water right now are raised beds and containers. So at least I've got that.
Old March 31, 2007   #26
Ruby
Tomatovillian™

Do you guys do anything like shaking the plant, flicking blossoms, etc. to help pollination? I have lots of flowers right now, but no fruit yet (might still be a little too cold overnight here).

Thanks!
Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2007   #27
CLa
Tomatovillian™

Outside I don't bother with that much. The wind weather and bees take care of that pretty well. But if you have the time on your hands, maybe shaking could force those few 0-20% leftover flowers on each truss that normally fall off to pollinate.
CLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2007   #28
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I am using an inexpensive disposable battery powered toothbrush that I lightly touch to the stem of the blossoms and can see the pollen come out. Im not sure if I am making any difference but it couldnt hurt I suppose.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2007   #29
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I am using a Sonicare toothbrush to do the same as Duane. Seem to have some good fruitset except the 9 blossoms on Cherokee Purple are being quite stubborn.
Old April 1, 2007   #30
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

When there's no breeze to speak of, sometimes I'll shake the cage/stakes a little, or flick a few branches as I walk by. I did that with my Brandywine last year. We had a lot of humid, very warm, breezeless days. But if there's some wind blowing, I don't bother.

Looks like I have a couple Jaune Flamme coming along now.