Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 21, 2013   #16
Moguntia
Tomatovillian™

German, translation and pronunciation
Low-German, translation and pronunciation
Latin, translation only
Dutch, translation only
Swedish, some translation only

Since I know lots of German people not understanding a single word, should I mention Rhoihessisch and Pälzisch (idiom spoken in the Area between Ramstein and Mainz) as well?
Moguntia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2013   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moguntia View Post
Latin, translation only
Dutch, translation only

Since I know lots of German people not understanding a single word, should I mention Rhoihessisch and Pälzisch (idiom spoken in the Area between Ramstein and Mainz) as well?
As for the idioms spoken in the areas you mentioned, it's going to be Tville members looking primarily for translation of written German, I think.

When I took German in college all those many years ago native speaking Germans alternated every two weeks, and I remember,now I won't be spelling these correctly I'm sure, what was called Hoch and Platt Deutch.

Swedish words? The only one I remember is when my mother was on the phone with her mother, was penga, or something like that that means money. The Swedish folks were originally from Uppsala.

I see you also mentioend Latin, as did Clara,, and if Clara is reading this I hope she sees that I was just fooling around with the little I remember of my Latin.I'm sure she taught it while I just took 3 years of it in High School.

And how I wish I could get a hold of that first year Latin book which started out with:

Italia non est insula.

Britannia est insula.

Cornelia mihi irhe gemmae. I've probably forgotten something there but it said Cornelia shows to me her children. Latin got more difficult with each year, but I loved it.

Thanks so much for posting.

Carolyn
Old September 21, 2013   #18
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clara View Post
Latin, translation and pronunciation (lol!)
Errare humanum est... remittere divinum! (my fave!)
Festina lente!

Lycopersicum esculentum... that is something everyone here should be able to translate

Finnish - translation and pronunciation
.. if anyone ever needs that.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2013   #19
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moguntia View Post
Latin, translation only
Dutch, translation only

Ich verstehe Bairisch
Old September 21, 2013   #20
Moguntia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
When I took German in college all those many years ago native speaking Germans alternated every two weeks, and I remember,now I won't be spelling these correctly I'm sure, what was called Hoch and Platt Deutch.
It's Hochdeutsch and Plattdeutsch. We tend to melt our words together and create new ones. Hochdeutsch is what you call German and Plattdeutsch should be "low German". Some of the old vegetables got there names there, so the class in elementary school might pay off...

Quote:
Swedish words? The only one I remember is when my mother was on the phone with her mother, was penga, or something like that that means money. The Swedish folks were originally from Uppsala.
pengar. Very good. So you can put yourself down vor swedish as well.
I took classes in swedish when I got my medical degree, since lots of us were emigrating to scandinavia at that time. Thought it might be useful.

Quote:
I see you also mentioend Latin, as did Clara,, and if Clara is reading this I hope she sees that I was just fooling around with the little I remember of my Latin.I'm sure she taught it while I just took 3 years of it in High School.

And how I wish I could get a hold of that first year Latin book which started out with:

Italia non est insula.

Britannia est insula.

Cornelia mihi irhe gemmae. I've probably forgotten something there but it said Cornelia shows to me her children. Latin got more difficult with each year, but I loved it.
Five years of Latin in school were a real pain for me. But it is realy realy useful in all day life, at work, on vacation....
Moguntia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2013   #21
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Moguntia, I hope you can appreciate the following two scenarios.

I was on a bus travelling along one of the fjords and there were two Swedish ladies sitting across from me who knew no English. One kept saying something over and over and pointing and I thought she was perhaps saying, was I scared, since it was a long way down into the water with no guard rails.

Someone else who did speak English came over to me and said, they are asking you if the scenery isn't so very beautiful, and all that time I'd been saying no, no, I'm not scared.

One of the main reasons I was in Scandinavia, both Norway and Sweden and actually Denmark as well, but now about Sweden, is b'c there was an exchange program between the Medical School in Oslo and where I was, which was the U of Rochester Med School in Rochester, NY.

One exchange student I got to know very well, his name is Sverre Lie. He's the only person I know who could walk all the way down a long hallway on his hands, and he also would have essence of vodka, gin and who knows what else, sent from home and mix it with lab alcohol.

So I visited him when I was in Olso and we had a grand time. I also visited a woman named Fru Gjestvang, who had married her uncle to keep the money in the family, he was the first to introduce cars to Sweden and Fru G was a cousin of a cousin.

She had a palatial estate on the Oslo Fjord and invited me to dinner and had her driver pick me up at the Salvation Army Hostel where I was staying. I brought Sverre with me to translate since she knew no English. There were more Munch's in that home than there were in the Munch Museum.

Sverre eventually became head of the Rikshospitalet in Oslo and I saw a picture of him with Queeen Elizabeth, and all I could remember was Sverre walking down the halls on his hands.

And yes, I took Latin b'c at an early age I knew I wanted to go into some area of Science, and I did. And it helped in many other ways as well.

Narnian, I agree that .....to err is human and to forgive is divine. Lovely words.

Carolyn, going off topic yet again,but she's the original starter of this thread so gives herself permission to do so.
Old September 22, 2013   #22
loulac
Tomatovillian™

Please keep on going off track, all your fans enjoy getting a picturesque slice of your life, at home and abroad. We are addicted now and a withdrawal would be quite painful !
loulac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2013   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Errare humanum est... remittere divinum! (my fave!)
Festina lente!

Lycopersicum esculentum... that is something everyone here should be able to translate

Finnish - translation and pronunciation
.. if anyone ever needs that.
Edible wolf peach, but the genus name was changed quite a few years ago to Solanum.

Carolyn
Old September 22, 2013   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
Please keep on going off track, all your fans enjoy getting a picturesque slice of your life, at home and abroad. We are addicted now and a withdrawal would be quite painful !
Trust me Lou, you don't want to see me turn this thread into a Carolyn travelogue and her adventures elsewhere.

When I was younger I took many trips to Europe, England, northern Africa, Greece and the islands, Israel and more. And when I taught at the med school in Denver, CO I was a member of a private travel group called Ports of Call, we had four planes, and so many trips to Mexico and the Carribean.

I almost forgot to mention France above, and from France I went to Spain, and well,I could go on and on, but won't.

I always wanted to know more about people in other countries, how they lived,what they ate, what their interests were and so much more. One passion of mine is archaeology, so many of those trips featured visiting those sites.

When I had to retire I expected to go to those countries I hadn't visited which would have been the Ukraine, Belarus to visit Andrey, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Egypt, Serbia, Turkey, Romania, the Czech Republic, Poland and so many more. But it didn't happen when I fell in 2004 and severed all four quad muscles in my right leg,which put me in this walker.

So I read my archaeology magazines, all four of them, watch TV programs that feature other countries, read books about other countries and cultures and satisfy myself that way.

Through Tville there are now many more that I'd like to visit. I mentioned Andrey above, but there's Clara and Ami in Germany,Chance,if he happened to be in Turkey,Gunnar in Poland, back to Norway to try and find Sverre Lie, and so many more I''m not rememebring right now.

Carolyn, who also gets a glimpse of life elsewhere from the postings of many here at Tville who are from other countries.
Old September 22, 2013   #25
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

That's true, Carolyn... but one still sees the Lycopersicum name quite a lot - I was accustomed to the Solanum, but many sites use the L.E.
Old September 22, 2013   #26
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
That's true, Carolyn... but one still sees the Lycopersicum name quite a lot - I was accustomed to the Solanum, but many sites use the L.E.
So true that some still haven't switched to Solanum, back to what it was in the beginning actually.

In the US one sees Lycopersicon, but in Europe and elsewhere one sees Lycopersicum.

Why, I don't know.

Carolyn
Old September 22, 2013   #27
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

If it's still relevant, put me down for:
Danish: translation and pronunciation
Polish: translation and pronunciation
Czech: translation and pronunciation
Swedish: translation
Norwegian: translation
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2013   #28
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnarSK View Post
If it's still relevant, put me down for:
Danish: translation and pronunciation
Polish: translation and pronunciation
Czech: translation and pronunciation
Swedish: translation
Norwegian: translation
Of course it's relevant Gunnar and I was hoping you'd sign on.

What would I have done without you when I had Serdtse Buivola from Andrey, then requested Bawole Cerce from Reinhard, only to find out they were the same variety ( Heart of the Buffalo) if not for you.

And you've offered so much help to many others, so much so that I'd put my pengar on it.

Carolyn
Old September 23, 2013   #29
clara
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, this thread is becoming more and more amusing - please don't stop!

But of course, more language skills are welcome!

clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2013   #30
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I am sorry for your present limitations. But hopefully you'll have many culturally rich and relevant experiences with the help of internet and other modern means... At least your mind isn't limited and closed, as is the case with so many able-bodied people. That, for me, would be the real tragedy. A vibrant mind and heart can overcome many challenges.