Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 27, 2013   #61
Gavriil
Tomatovillian™

Here's a few I started indoors, but they usually get tall spindly and neglected.
Nothing exotic like most of you folks.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Tomato Starts.gif (7.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Pepper Starts 2013.jpg (144.3 KB, 86 views)
Gavriil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #62
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Are you able to grow a second crop for fall? Maybe Cherokee Purple would be quick enough for a late-season planting.

I'd love to know what you think about Wins All when you get a ripe one. It's intrigued me several times but I've never grown it.

kath
Kath, yes, I think I can squeeze in a fall season. I'm going to reserve judgment until I see how I like what I have. I started a few of the Rainbow Beefsteak in mid-December; they could be: Amana Orange, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Black from Tula, Cuore de Toro, Dixie Golden Giant Tomato, German Red Strawberry, Kentucky Beefsteak, Ponderosa Pink, Red Brandywine, and White Potato Leaf. So far the eight or so seedlings all look like regular leaf to me. Thought this would be a good way to get an assortment and see what I like.

The Wins All (potato leaf) has been a handsome plant so far. Just getting a few flowers now, so it'll be a while.

They say I'll be out of business on everything except sweet potatoes and melons after about Memorial Day; too hot. Though the guy I met at the horse barn said he grows Sweet 100 all summer.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #63
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyscarnival View Post
Kath, yes, I think I can squeeze in a fall season. I'm going to reserve judgment until I see how I like what I have. I started a few of the Rainbow Beefsteak in mid-December; they could be: Amana Orange, Aunt Ruby's German Green, Black from Tula, Cuore de Toro, Dixie Golden Giant Tomato, German Red Strawberry, Kentucky Beefsteak, Ponderosa Pink, Red Brandywine, and White Potato Leaf. So far the eight or so seedlings all look like regular leaf to me. Thought this would be a good way to get an assortment and see what I like.

The Wins All (potato leaf) has been a handsome plant so far. Just getting a few flowers now, so it'll be a while.

They say I'll be out of business on everything except sweet potatoes and melons after about Memorial Day; too hot. Though the guy I met at the horse barn said he grows Sweet 100 all summer.
My first introduction to heirloom tomatoes was via and assortment pack of seeds, too. It didn't have as many as your list shows but Aunt Ruby's German Green, Kellogg's Breakfast, Black from Tula, Yellow Brandywine and Dixie Golden Giant were in the mix for sure. Can't remember what else but there must have been a red and a pink, no? Maybe I'll look it up. Anyway, Black from Tula and Aunt Ruby's German Green were the standouts for me from it.

Hope you'll post updates as to how your season progresses and on what you like.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #64
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_willus_d View Post
Handsome list Marla. Your garden will be delightful.

HWB- I'm curious, why all the CAMPBELLS and HEINTZ varieties. I've never grown any, but from time to time I see them adorning the lists. Do you use them for making catchup and soup? Disease resistance? What's their distinctive charm?

Thanks,
Naysen
The idea is to save the old commercial varieties from back when commercial varieties still tasted good.

Todays commercial varieties taste like manure as a general rule.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #65
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

We are in the process of moving off our 120 acre farm soon, and moving closer to the city. Our lot is 1 1/3 acres. So my list is teeny compared to the usual 60-90 varieties I have grown in previous years. 20+ years of growing heirlooms. Every year the list got longer and longer. Just cant do it anymore. With close to 200+ tomato plants, I loose the joy in it by midsummer..

We will dismantle my GH we recycled from used sliding glass doors and old windows a few years ago. That baby is going with me!! And I will have a very small garden outside of that.

A few of my favorite returnees:

Purple Dog Creek
Pantano Romanesco
Fish Lake Oxheart
Sungold F1 (Grandsons favorite)

New to me and my garden:

Dester
Frosted Green Doctors Cherry
Hartmans Yellow Gooseberry
George O' Brien
Rajce Tisk Hroznove (If I get from Carolyns offer)

I look forward to the 2013 growing season, and starting a new, smaller, garden plot in a new area. It will be much easier for me to maintain and enjoy!!

Ginny
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #66
nickbolk
Tomatovillian™

100 varieties! still on the hunt to see if there are a few more I would like to try to add

Amana Orange
Anna Russian
Aunt Molly's mos
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Aunt Ruby's Yellow Cherry
Banana Legs
Berkeley Tie Dye
Bicolor Cherry
Black and Brown Boar
Black from Tula
Blueberry
Blush
Brandywine
Brown Berry
Carbon
Cherokee Chocolate
Cherokee Green
Cherokee Purple
Cosmonaut Volkov
Coyote
Dester
Dr Carolyn Pink
Dr. Wyche's Yellow
Druzba
Dwarf Arctic Rose
Dwarf Beryl Beauty
Dwarf Jade Beauty★
Dwarf Mr. Snow
Dwarf Sweet Sue
Dwarf Wild Fred
El Rey Tomatillo
Elfin
Eva Purple Ball
German Johnson
German Red Strawberry
Giant Syrian
Gold Nugget
Great White
Green Doctors
Green Doctors Frosted
Green Giant
Green Zebra
Green Zebra Cherry
Haley's Purple Comet
Husky Cherry Gold
Iditarod Red
Indian Stripe
Indigo Rose
Isis Candy LG
Jaune Flamme
JD's Special C-Tex
KBX
Kellogg's Breakfast
Large Barred Boar
lemon Boy
Lillian's Yellow Heirloom
Little Lucky
Lollipop
Lucky Cross
Maiden's Gold mini
Marizol Magic
Martino’s Roma
Matt’s Wild Cherry
Mini Carol Yellow
Mortgage Lifter
Nebraska Wedding
Nepal
Orange Russian 117
Orange Strawberry
Perth Pride
Pink Berkeley Tie Dye
Pink Boar
Polish Dwarf
Prize of the Trials
Purple Russian
Red Brandywine
Red Centiflor
Rose Quartz Multiflora
Rosella Purple
Sleeping Lady
Speckled Roman
Strawberry Margarita
Striped Red Boar
Stump of The World
Stupice
Summertime Gold
Summertime Green
Sungold OP
SunSugar
Tasmanian Chocolate
Taxi
Tiger Tom
White Tomesol
Yellow Centiflor
Yellow Currant LG
Yellow Pear
Yukon Quest
Zapotec
nickbolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #67
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

The eagle has landed!

I have about 1000 seedlings in seed start trays 1 and 2. This is 4 days from planting the seed. The trays were on top of my grow lights where temps average about 80 degrees. I kept them properly watered. These two trays are now under lights and looking gorgeous!

I still have 4 trays of seed to plant so lots more work to do. I like having them spread out a bit because it eases the potting up steps a bit.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013   #68
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

To try to add to the discussion about momotaro vs. momotaro OP, I became
intrigued with this tomato a couple years ago. At the time, there was a lot
of discussion about the pros and cons of the two. The consensus seemed to
be heavily in favor of the hybrid which is an unusual stance for many
heirloom enthusiasts. I have grown (attempted) the hybrid twice now and
both were disasters. The last one got a direct hit from a softball sized hailstone.
I do buy the hybrid at the farmer's market in the winters here and they are
worthy competition for the best of the heirlooms, IMO.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013   #69
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Ginny, I haven't come to your envelope yet so I'm pretty sure you'll get the Rajce one but I'm betting that it won't have the name it does now. I'll correct it with the germination thread or the Fall performance thread when the two folks looking into it come up with something.

I see many of you growing Aunt Ruby's German Green ( ARGG)

For a totally separate issue which I'm not going to go into, I had a long talk with Bill Minkey yesterday about ARGG. Bill first listed it in the 1993 SSE Yearbook and in the 1994 Yearbook there were just two listing it, Bill and myself.

All to say that the German part of the name is probably, well,, more substantial than that, is not correct.

No sense renaming it, really, but it's amazing how wrong information gets added to a variety. There was no German grandfather that brought it from Germany. As Bill said, his Aunt Ruby could well have gotten it from a neighbor with an ethnic background or name that was of German origin.

Bill and Neil Lockhart and Marianne Jones and Craig, and a few more I know well, all joined SSE in the late 80's to early 90's so we've all known each other for a very long time.

Now I have to call the person who was looking into the background and tell that person no German link back to Germany at all.

Oh how I love the history of heirlooms and how errors can creep in.

Carolyn, who has received a huge number of new varieties for this next season, but has to get the seeds out for the seed offer first before she can even think of a growout list.
Old January 28, 2013   #70
Caspian Pink
Tomatovillian™

Robin,
Thanks for your input about Momotaro OP. I'm glad this is a sweet one. I like sweeter tomatoes.
Caspian Pink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013   #71
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I put my list on the trade forum:
http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=26336
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013   #72
tedln

I'm amazed! Those lists make me feel like a total amateur. I grew forty two varieties last year and simply had more tomatoes to deal with than I wanted. This year, I cut my list too twenty six to reduce the amount of tomatoes. After a lot of reading and thinking, my list grew back to thirty six varieties which I've already posted. After posting the list, I determined I had to grow Dester and Italian Heirloom which were the #1 and #2 winners of the SSE taste test. Now I am back to thirty eight varieties. I'm sure when I visit my farm supply store after he gets his seedlings delivered around march 1, I will find a few varieties I'm not familiar with and my list will be back to forty two varieties or more. I guess I will need to search harder for some folks who need some free tomatoes. Since I added ten big containers to my garden, I may actually have as many as fifty varieties.

Kath,

How did your garden perform last year? I've seen the photos you posted in past years and I really do like your setup. I'm just curious if last years drought hurt you much.

Ted
Old January 28, 2013   #73
bwaynef
Tomatovillian™

I think I speak for everyone that's read this thread and hasn't spoken up yet:

You guys have a PROBLEM!

Here's my list: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=26322
bwaynef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013   #74
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaynef View Post
I think I speak for everyone that's read this thread and hasn't spoken up yet:

You guys have a PROBLEM!

Here's my list: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=26322
Yes not enough space, time, cages, stakes, not to mention too many weeds to grow more.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013   #75
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Kath,

How did your garden perform last year? I've seen the photos you posted in past years and I really do like your setup. I'm just curious if last years drought hurt you much.

Ted
Well, Ted, since your post was about not being able to pare your list down to the number you'd like, I'll start by saying that last year I grew way more plants than I wanted to- so I pruned them and planted them closely which helped control the number of tomatoes they produced. Then if some started to look too contagious or no one liked the taste, I pulled plants out altogether starting as early as July. By the end of the season I had about 40 plants left standing and I decided that should be my upper limit because it was really easy to care for that many. So I'm up to 81... But it's better than 181, which I've also done.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think the drought added to the more than usual BER I experienced but I put down a mulch layer of newspaper covered with grass clippings and shredded leaves and was able to get away without watering more than 3 times during the whole season. Never have seen a tomato plant actually wilt except once when I tried growing in 5 gal. containers- it's not for me. I actually like staking and pruning for ease of spraying and monitoring for pests. Cattle panel is my second favorite, but I like it the best for cherries because I don't prune my Sungolds as much and I can sort of espalier the plant.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote