Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 8, 2009   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Fruitset!!

First to set this year, Break O'Day. If all goes well I will be eating my first tomato of the year around April 20th
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2009   #2
DoubleJ
Tomatovillian™

I hate you.....................

DoubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2009   #3
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

jj
Don't fret,were only 3 months behind. I've got Break O' day started as well,perhaps duajones will let me know if it's worth transplanting.
Old March 8, 2009   #4
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I am more excited this year than I ever have been about my tomatoes as I have several new to me varieties and also several heavy hitters as far as quality tomatoes go. Really looking forward to tasting the different varieties and not even that much concerned about great production, although that would be nice as well. I cant wait to taste each variety.

Now hopefully, Mother Nature will cooperate and we can all have a great year!
Old March 8, 2009   #5
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

I've got blooms on several but I refuse to get excited, lest the weather demons take offense.
Old March 8, 2009   #6
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Darn Texans anyway...always have to be bigger, faster, first! I second Double J...we hate you.

I just started 250 seeds in peat pots today in Wyoming for an end of May plant out...those who already have seedlings grown and out are despicable human beings and I shall call down the locust upon you (not really but maybe...)

That's okay 'tho...I don't have all those nasty diseases and bugs you all have. NO HORN-WORMS! No blight, no anything. 40 below zero kills off an awful lot of undesirable stuff.
Old March 8, 2009   #7
newgardener_tx
Tomatovillian™

Cold front on Thursday and friday, Texans! I am getting anxiety allready. What to use to cover all those plants?
Don't be jealous people. We have to plant several rounds in Texas.
newgardener_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2009   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgardener_tx View Post
Cold front on Thursday and friday, Texans! I am getting anxiety allready. What to use to cover all those plants?
Current prediction for N.W. Houston is dropping to 49 on Friday night.
Austin is showing 40 on Friday night. We will just have to watch closely.

What to cover with?
  • Row Cover -- summerweight or winterweight your choice, it can be reused many times as long as it is stored properly
  • Upside-down pots
  • Sheets
  • Blankets (must support with cages/bamboo/etc.)
  • Clear plastic (must be kept off the foliage)
Just remember to cover in the morning or mid-day to trap in warmth. Covering after dark won't help nearly as much.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2009   #9
Mojo
Tomatovillian™

Grrr, I'm going to get uptight if they end up "revising" downwards like they did the other week. There's almost no way I can cover everything now, the plants are too large and/or caged and I can't realistically cover the cukes along the fenceline. 40s I can handle; 30s not so much.
Old March 10, 2009   #10
duajones
Tomatovillian™

After a much closer look today, Indian Stripe has an even larger fruit set on it so it was probably 2 days ahead of Break O' Day. And now Pink Berkley Tie Dye has joined in as well. Hege German Pink looks close

Last edited by duajones; March 10, 2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old March 10, 2009   #11
carpenterlady
Tomatovillian™

Wow it is going to be all the way down in the 40's. That is a typical June night where I live. We are having a snow storm as I write this. I have been online dreaming of tomatoes and finalizing my seed starting list. I am trying not to sin, by repeating the tenth commandment over and over to myself, so I won't hate you. Congratulations and I hope they taste good.
carpenterlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2009   #12
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Not quite out of the woods yet even though I am in Corpus Christi, pretty deep south texas. I hope there are no more freeze or frost threats but my last two years tell me different. And we havent had any significant rain in months although there is a chance in the next few days. Rain is like steroids for my plants in the right amount at the right time. We are in a drought right now

Good luck in your growout carpenterlady!

Last edited by duajones; March 10, 2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old March 11, 2009   #13
newgardener_tx
Tomatovillian™

The cold front is real. 40 tonight and tomorrow night, 39 Friday night. My plants will have hard time especially the ones in the open area. If I cover them today with heavy plastic until Saturday, Will I suffocate them? Will they miss the rain water? Thanks. Don't want to lose any more plants.
newgardener_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2009   #14
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Weather Underground had us at lows in the 50.'s as of yesterday, now this morning they are calling for 40's and who knows how much that will change. I just hope the winds arent real heavy
Old March 11, 2009   #15
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

newgardener.......I am up the road from you in Hutto.......just a conversation away.....I am also a little worried about this cold front..........My maters survived the last cold front (Freeze), and the horse next door (a funny story), and high winds.......maters were cozy in the tunnels....Low temp of 39 deg. Friday night should be O.K...........I just removed my hoop tunnels this week, and wrapped my cages w/ row cover material........a little worried, but I think I will be O.K.........7 of my mater plants have been in the ground since Feb. 10th........my Stupice has set fruit.....I posted these pictures on my web site.......that is the only way I could do it.....http://www.psgtee.com/tomato.html

Last edited by hornstrider; March 11, 2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: I posted the wrong link
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote