Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 13, 2012   #1
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Default 2012 Early Season Reviews

This year has been just great. Things are on track and I have tasted just about all 30 something varieties I'm growing this year! Here are my thoughts (just my opinion and take on these varieties) and please feel free to share as well!

In no piticular order.

Captain Luck- was really looking forward to trying this one! Thought it was good but not great, maybe caused by overwatering. Just seemed sweet with little flavor!

Momotaro- Holly Moley! Just had my first and all I can say is Ilove this tomato! On the seet side with a little zing! Will have to find out where Raybo got his seeds!

Orange Starwberry- The first 2 fruit have been mushy and not very tasty, but I know things will get better I have faith!

Green Giant- Just great as usual, my favorite GWR! Great flavor with some sweetness, just right!

Goose Creek- First fruit were just ok but got better and better as more fruit came in. On par! A favorite of mine. Bite with sweetness, oh my!

Green Doctors- Just never disappoints, so good! Sweet with great depth of flavor. My favorite cherry!

Sun Gold- on point! how can you go wrong??

Sweet Treats- well the name says it al! They are sweet when left to ripen to a metalic pink!

Black Cherry- source is fedco, I tried a couple and blahhhch yucky. Then tried a couple more that were left on the vine much longer and they were ok.

Earl Faux- Second go for me and EF and they are as good as I remember them to be! Taste like Brandywine to me.

Purple Dog Creek- Average at best, not much flavor or zing there for me.

African Queen- Ditto, really disapointing!

Moravsky Div- Not bad but not great, but a great early setter!

New Big Dwarf- Oh man I love NBD, another well balanced tomato with flavor, zing and sweetness! A true main stay in my garden!

German Extreme Bush- I wasnt expecting much from this variety, I grew it in a 3 gallon pot. But I gotta say I really liked everything about it! Easy to grow because of it size.

Green Giant Mystery Cross- this one was wonderful, it has great potential! My guess is it crossed with a heart, so that would be Kosovo or Orange Strawberry. Cant wait to see what happens in the f2 generation!

Ferris Wheel- Just had my first tonight and it was really good. I did find many PL's in the packet so I'm wondering if it really is FW?

I save more reviews for later as the season progresses.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2012   #2
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reviews Damon! It's always good to see what other folks think of a variety before I try it, and I have a lot I have not grown! I have a few on your list, but none have ripened so I have not tried them yet. I am hoping to try African Queen next year, I've heard so much about it. I haven't grown New Big Dwarf, but I LOVE the flavor of Dwarf Giant yum! My Earl's has one starting to ripen, my Captain Lucky's are still unripe as are the Goose Creek. Can't wait until I can try all of mine too!
Old July 14, 2012   #3
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

NBD is also one of my favourites. Not as sweet as others, with plenty of gel (i love that) and thin skin.
How would you compare Momotaro to NBD? I'm looking for something like NBD but possibly with stronger taste.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2012   #4
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

zip-momotaro is known for being pretty sweet. I find it to be sweet and flavorful, well balanced. Taste is subjective though. Have you tried Goose Creek pink?

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2012   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Damon,

Regarding Momotaro, I get my seeds from Kitazawa in Oakland. They are on the Web for ordering. The OP doesn't even come close to the real deal F1 Hybrid so to me, it is worthwhile spending a few dollars more for the actual F1 seed.

BTW, a very nice TV Member from SoCal sent me some Japanese seed for a Momotaro variant called "FIGHT". I am now growing both Momotaro from Kitazawa alongside Momotaro FIGHT from Takii Seeds, and will post a Thread as soon as I have fruit to compare.

p.s. I've got you covered for Momotaro seedlings for 2013, so no need for you to order seeds.

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; July 14, 2012 at 02:58 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2012   #6
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsguy76 View Post
zip-momotaro is known for being pretty sweet. I find it to be sweet and flavorful, well balanced. Taste is subjective though. Have you tried Goose Creek pink?

Damon
Nope, I didn't. This year trying Eva purple ball. Have high hopes for it (from what I've read), but I'm a bit bummered by the low amount of flowers (4-8 per truss), when something like Moravsky makes 20-40.
If Momotaro is sweeter, I guess it's not for me. One tomato that would have been perfect if less sweet is Indian stripe, great for containers, everything about it is great, except the overwhelming sweetness.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote